Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tail Tidy and Mud...

Samm

I love the look of a tail tidy but I'm worried about losing the practicality of the hideous stock tail assembly's ability to shield my ass and luggage from slinging mud. I had the whole rear end apart recently for a cleaning and the amount of filth back there makes me think the stock unit does a decent job protection wise... 

Can you tell me if you've noticed a difference in how filthy your backside gets after switching to a tail tidy unit (branded or DIY lets hear from everyone)? Any regrets out there or all smiles?

• Like 2

Im guessing depending which tail tidy you go for. The original yam TT is smaller than the standard one and does give all the protection, i know that ok:))

i have seen some tiny ones and covered in poo over the back.

its a trade off i guess,

17 hours ago, Matth said:

Im guessing depending which tail tidy you go for. The original yam TT is smaller than the standard one and does give all the protection, i know that ok:))

i have seen some tiny ones and covered in poo over the back.

its a trade off i guess,

I installedt7rally the T7Rally tail tidy. It is a little bit longer and works perfectly as a short mudgard.

https://t7rally.com/shop/ols/products/yamaha-t7-tenere-700-tail-tidy

I didn’t notice any more mud on the bike, it always seems to get dirty no matter what fender.  My issue is with the fact the tail tidys leave openings into the rear plastic, I found a bunch of dirt and crap on the inside.  Need to find some foam or something to block that off.

Mike

I’m looking at this now. I installed B&B Plate Holder TT, it looks like it’s tighter to the rear end than some others. I’m thinking a bit of a rubber mud flap extension might be needed. It’s frozen ground here for another couple of months so the extent of the extension is hard telling, not knowing. Anyone recommend a rear mud flap suitable for a T7? I have visions of Yosemite Sam or the Taz but I don’t know if they’re tough enough ... 😆

(Hi Mike!)

495B5184-6415-40F9-B49B-F3EC4E84904E.jpeg

Edited by dmottv

I don't expect to hear from anyone,  that it's better with a tail tidy for protection from mud or water for that matter. No difference I find hard to believe too! Although the tail tidies may look better than the complex and heavy standard one, I personally prefer a rear fender which will keep sh!t from spraying on me and my luggage! 

• Like 2

I think I'll just leave it as is until something breaks and then spring for the Camel ADV Tail Tidy.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Samm said:

I think I'll just leave it as is until something breaks and then spring for the Camel ADV Tail Tidy.

I've arrived to same conclusion  🤞

I bought the R&G tail tidy R&G web  . .For me it's a perfect look, and in Eastern Spain mud is not a problem but dust is.

If you are not sure, I recommend you buy the same on Aliexpress, because chinesse pleople have the same copy.

Only reason I still have the oem fender is I hate road grime/water slung up onto the back seat or luggage rack. Hate the look of the thing and I know it weighs to much. But just cannot bring myself to go with a tidy as much as I like the look of them. I've done the tail cleanup on sportbikes and yep in the rain you get all the road grit and water onto your back.

I have the R&G tidy and I made a piece out of Kydex (I'll call it the flap), that goes inside and down to the bottom of the  tag mounts to "seal" off the back from mud packing up around the tail light and blinker wires etc. Pretty easy to make it and heat it with a gun to get the bend I wanted. Kinda hard to see, but you'll get the idea. Makes it alot easier to clean the rear end now! If you are that concerned about spray, you could cut the kydex wider and longer to what ever shape you want to help with spray. The main thing with the stocker is the weight and how it flops around. With a TT and a "flap", that alleviates the flopping, and cleans up the look-

50614629661_0756cfe907_k.jpg

50613886118_811716acdc_k.jpg

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

@Firebolter That's a nice idea, I like it.

Mike

Thanks, just hate cleaning all the mud and crap around the blinker wires and such. 

Kydex has a "Slick" side and a "textured" side, atleast the stuff I bought off Amazon did, so I made sure to mount it with the "slick" side inside to make the mud easier to clean off. 

Edited by Firebolter

For sure, I agree, my issue is some slop gets inside the tail now, this is a simple solution to that, but keeping the wires clean is a nice bonus - my dirt bike blinkers are exposed and it's the same deal, they get filthy and messing with that stuff requires washing the bike 🙂

Mike

Done a similar thing to Firebolter. 

Fitted the Camel ADV tail tidy but it does leave a few holes which will end up filling the tail section with mud.

Knocked up a plastic guard which should stop most of the crap.

122D29C6-0215-442B-912F-0D4036ED459D.jpeg

6FF1C35B-2F49-4B5F-8859-83E0F7973DD5.jpeg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Alan M said:

Done a similar thing to Firebolter. 

Fitted the Camel ADV tail tidy but it does leave a few holes which will end up filling the tail section with mud.

Knocked up a plastic guard which should stop most of the crap.

122D29C6-0215-442B-912F-0D4036ED459D.jpeg

6FF1C35B-2F49-4B5F-8859-83E0F7973DD5.jpeg

This is exactly what I am planning on doing myself, thanks for the picture.

Mike

• Like 1

mia.adventures.t7 in Instagram 

Has your answer to a free DIY tail tiddy with one cut on original parts, no other mods just add your side lights. 

Free free.

20210130_183044.jpg

Edited by Chano

8 hours ago, Baja t7 said:

With the camel , just cut the piece of the old plastic and fit it under the new tail tidy. No mud!   

58A6F9E4-F244-4A53-8032-D9663B7F373D.jpeg

15633B63-E83D-4F1E-95CD-A000CC20B008.jpeg

A374C799-CBB9-4B3B-B42C-1849EDB59034.jpeg

I looked at doing that but that only covers a small hole around the centre of the plate which you can seal easily with a piece of foam tape.

The areas I wanted to cover were either side of the cable entry holes, on your install these are still open so not sure mud will still get in there.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Baja t7 said:

With the camel , just cut the piece of the old plastic and fit it under the new tail tidy. No mud!   

58A6F9E4-F244-4A53-8032-D9663B7F373D.jpeg

15633B63-E83D-4F1E-95CD-A000CC20B008.jpeg

A374C799-CBB9-4B3B-B42C-1849EDB59034.jpeg

Nice install job on those rear blinkers.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!