Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Calf Pegs in 90 Minutes

Hdtogt

This is a great post, thanks!

can you give an idea of how to determine the best spot for the pucks to be mounted? Should they be touching your boots or calf’s when your kegs are straight up and down on the pegs?

Thanks!

Mike

I wear Sidi Crossfire 3 boots, which are thick and high on the calf. I like the pucks about 2” below the top in the firm part of the boot. . As far as fore/aft, its personal choice but I like to stand knees just slightly bent with balls of feet on pegs. I put them to get in that position with maybe a bit moved back (1/2” or so). This is why its good to put maybe another hole further back from center so you can try different spots.

By the way, aluminum stock can be found here:

https://www.mcmaster.com/8982K145/

Bumpers here: 

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Auto-Compatible-Replacement/dp/B01MQJKXZW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=trailer+door+bumpers&qid=1611530978&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=ABSLB7XHZ8EF1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRjY5TzMyQkhSV1RYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ0NTMwR1BSUlk1UktLU0VDJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTEwMzE1NDIxMURQSFZPWkxSQlVWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Edited by Hdtogt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. Having never had a set I was curious where they ended up. 

Mike

My last bike a 300 2 stroke had the actual stegz pegz and they truly are genius. They save some huge amount of energy, eg 50% when standing and riding powerful bikes.

I'm going to try to make a set of these. Just for grins I emailed the guys at Stegz Pegz and this is what they said:

Hi Michael,
We are hoping to have them available by next week 👍🏻
I’ll let you know when they are listed on our website.
Thanks!

Steve
STEGZ 

• 2 years later...

This was a great project for the bike.  I keep telling myself this is the last farkle I'll add, and that I actually need to get out and ride the darn thing more.  

I still have tons to learn about riding offroad, but having these things to brace your legs against makes the whole platform feel so much more stable.

A couple things I noted, to share with other aspiring garage mechanics.  I found an angle grinder with cutoff disc to be faster than the Sawzall.  Or maybe I just have really bad saw blades.  

Also don't leave too much metal in front of the puck, else that will chafe at your boots or pants.

I found these roller skate wheels and they seem to work great. 

IMG_2406.jpeg

I am seriously considering a set.

I thought about making them but Steve Smith has put a lot of time and effort into making them for all sorts of bikes I feel I need to give his company the money.

I am also a little biased as it is good old Aussie ingenuity again.

• Like 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

The nice thing about making your own is that you can customize exactly how you want things.  And the satisfaction of making things with your own two hands instead of clicking a "buy" button.  And bragging rights of course...

Looking at his design, I just noticed how far back he's located the puck, using that frame screw as a reference point

steg pegz.png

On 2/20/2023 at 5:53 PM, Rider 101 said:

I am seriously considering a set.

I thought about making them but Steve Smith has put a lot of time and effort into making them for all sorts of bikes I feel I need to give his company the money.

I am also a little biased as it is good old Aussie ingenuity again.

Recently installed a set of stegz, wish I'd have done it a lot sooner, wether you buy them or make them it's one of the best add ons I've done, can highly recommend.

If these made you a better rider, then every pro would be using them. Guys, just take a teaspoon of cement and harden the f*** up! The only excuse for these is if you have an injury/disability or you're ancient.

• Dislike 1

22 minutes ago, Revy said:

If these made you a better rider, then every pro would be using them. Guys, just take a teaspoon of cement and harden the f*** up! The only excuse for these is if you have an injury/disability or you're ancient.

@Revy I am going to take a closer look at this build as I am ancient and had knee surgeries. I am an all day stander and these just might make my rides more enjoyable. Check out the Twinpegs, pro enduro riders ARE using these 

twinpegs-review-featured.jpg

TwinPegs Review: We put these auxiliary footrests from Norway on our Yamaha Ténéré 700 Project Bike and tested them on- and off-road.

9 hours ago, Revy said:

Hey now!  Looks like @Camel ADV have it on their bikes.  If they're good enough for Cory, I have absolutely no shame bolting them to my bike.  Don't knock 'em till you try 'em.

IMG_4821.jpeg.678a64fe4d6cad72c75c2af943fa9356.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Revy said:

Heard of a guy named Toby Price?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NeilW said:

@Revy I am going to take a closer look at this build as I am ancient and had knee surgeries. I am an all day stander and these just might make my rides more enjoyable. Check out the Twinpegs, pro enduro riders ARE using these 

TwinPegs Review: We put these auxiliary footrests from Norway on our Yamaha Ténéré 700 Project Bike and tested them on- and off-road.

You make a good point. There are multiple places one can get some extra support and if it makes you better, more comfortable, or able to ride longer then it's worthwhile. A local fellow who was racing enduros since dirt was new and both his sons that race have nothing nice to says about Stegz Pegs but all of them run the Fastway pegs (same peg concept as pictured above but been around for longer) Tthey are still opting for additional support, just in a different area.  Not sure why some folks are so adamantly anti-stegz pegs. I haven't ever run them but don't understand what the deal is against them.

As for Toby & Cory - them two guys obviously need to harden up... but I wouldn't tell either of them that to their face unless I had a BIG smile on mine. LOL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Vendor
9 hours ago, Windblown said:

As for Toby & Cory - them two guys obviously need to harden up... but I wouldn't tell either of them that to their face unless I had a BIG smile on mine. LOL.

Well... I'm pretty sure this is the only time that Toby Price and I will be lumped together LOL!

I had Steg Pegz on the Africa Twin and loved them. Didn't like them on the 790R. Had them on the T7 and they were great but I no longer use them.

My experience (and tape measure) says Japanese bikes *usually* have a shorter horizontal distance from the handle bar grip location to the pegs. I find it tougher to get in a neutral/in-balance position and end up hanging on a lot harder than I really want to. If I'm riding offroad with lots of big climbs, my forearms and shoulders get burnt out a lot faster on Jap bikes than on Euro bikes. Steg Pegz solves that.

The downside is that you're squeezing with your knees (at times you shouldn't be) and are more locked in. On rough terrain (like babyhead covered hills), you're pushing back into the Steg Pegz which gives you stability but it also means you're not loose/active on the bike. I ended up crashing more because I wasn't reacting as well/as fast when I had them installed.

I took the calf pegs off and I made brackets to move my pegs back two full inches. Now, I can get in the good balanced posture for the big climbs without blowing my arms and shoulders out and I can still stay loose.

If you're riding really dumb stuff, they might hold you back a bit but it's not going to make or break you. I doubt many (any) of us here are gunning to be pro riders so take any advantage you can get!

• Like 5

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

On 2/25/2023 at 8:11 AM, Revy said:

:ken

• Thanks 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• Supporting Vendor
2 hours ago, Hollybrook said:

@Camel ADV, did you modify your brake pedal and shifter to accommodate the rearward mounted footpegs, or did you extend your boots?  🤣

Shortened the brake lever 1", left the shifter stock length. It works with my big feet.

I don't want to hijack Hdtogt's thread. Please PM me if you have questions.

• Thanks 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

On 2/24/2023 at 1:36 PM, NeilW said:

@NeilWhave you used these more? I am very keen on getting these.  For all the reasons you list and more.  The reasons they were made are all things I could benefit from.  

1 hour ago, roygilbo said:

@NeilWhave you used these more? I am very keen on getting these.  For all the reasons you list and more.  The reasons they were made are all things I could benefit from.  

@roygilboi have never tried steg pegz. I have a set coming and will review them as soon as I get some miles under me. It is snowing right now in Portland Oregon…..

53 minutes ago, NeilW said:

@roygilboi have never tried steg pegz. I have a set coming and will review them as soon as I get some miles under me. It is snowing right now in Portland Oregon…..

Hi Neil, my apologies, I meant the Twin Pegs.