Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Klim vs Alpinestars

DT675

Any thoughts on differences in quality or fitment on the Klim Dakar vs the Alpinestars Andes Drystar? They seem similar priced and are a couple of my favorite brands. Which one would you get and why? 

• Like 1

Not sure about the Alpinestars or the Dakar line, but I have Klim Carlsbad gear and love it.  Excellent quality and function but you pay for it.  It also helps sway my decision that buying Klim gear is buying local for me because their HQ is 10 miles up the road from me.

Edited by AngryNeutron
  • Like 1

I find Alpinestar tends to be better for street wear. Their ADV lines are okay to good. I have the Andes Drystar as I am mainly a onroad rider, it works great but def has some issue such as venting for hot day & some fitment around the chest/arm pit area. Their warranty program was also so-so in my personal experience.

Klim seems to excel in the ADV/offroad items more so than the street.

Personal pick:

if you sticking to mostly on-road travel, Alpinestar is a good choice especially they CAN be a tad cheaper.

but if you are doing EVERYTHING, I would splurge on the Klim as their warranty program is also top notch.

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 2

I have a klim dakar jacket and pants

the jacket is light and designed to go over armour .

i find klim gear good quality but you need to chose the right product to suit your needs, if you want jacket to fit well not over body armour look at baja for warm locations , carlsbad if cooler , wet location 

• Like 1

klim is the best of the best.

alpine stars fits great if you are,  errr,  smaller? and do mostly street riding

Ive always thought of Alpinestars as more of road bike gear. But then i though the Andes Drystar stuff looks pretty darn good and their are some deals on eBay time to time on them. I have a full leather 2 piece race jacket/pants and boots in Alpinestars and its absolutely top-notch stuff. Ive had no experience with the off-road textile though. 

On 1/28/2021 at 12:29 PM, AngryNeutron said:

Not sure about the Alpinestars or the Dakar line, but I have Klim Carlsbad gear and love it.  Excellent quality and function but you pay for it.  It also helps sway my decision that buying Klim gear is buying local for me because their HQ is 10 miles up the road from me.

Ive looked into the other lines of Klim and it looks great, but I’m not quite there yet... 

My take is this

Alpinestars low-end/cheaper gear is not so good.  Their higher-end gear IS good but as stated, mostly road and/or race gear.  Although I DO have a pair of their Drystar gloves and I love them.

Klim doesn't really have any "lower-end/cheaper gear.  It's high-quality.  BUT...it tends to get overly complicated w buckles, pockets, etc as the price goes up.  I like their Goretex shell stuff.  Traverse, I think.  Breathes well, good venting, waterproof and simple.  I layer under it for warmth or just wear a tee-shirt when it warms up.  

I have the Alpinestar Andes V2 jacket. Got it on sale for $260...Im happy with it. Its comfortable, water resistant (proof?), and with the liner it pretty dan warm. No way I could justify spending another $300-$400 for the Klim.

I had the budget for the Klim, and shopped around and tried stuff on. It just didn't seem worth it to me. I went to the shop with the intention of buying a Revit jacket but found the Alpinestar and it was just as good for me.

Edited by Hammy
  • Like 1

I've got the Astars andes v2 jacket and generally very happy with it. I had a high speed crash on road and it held up well. Comfortable and waterproof. One point of note is that the front pockets offer a bit of water resistance but once the heavy rain gets in they don't drain and just fill up to the brim.

I fought with this battle over the years until 5 years ago at the motorcycle show in Edmonton where I met a rep (brand agnostic) who taught me how to size gear properly. He taught me that most of the European supplied gear (like Alpinestars) is designed more for the euro body type, whereby Klim is designed for us fat bastard North American types which are generally broader through the chest, slightly bigger frames and generally more Neanderthal proportioned 🤪. I know this, as I'm one of them. Anyway, this affects the fit during extreme movements and general comfort in different temp extremes that are common in ADV type riding. Klim products fit me much better as I now use there gear for dirt biking, ADV riding, snow biking and road riding, and other than the initial cost, you hardly know you are wearing their gear. I've had Icon, Alpinestars, Roadmaster, and DriRider jackets/pants, and find that for me the fit of the Klim gear is spot-on. On my third set of pants (dirt biking and ADV riding) and second Jacket (due to a low side) and probably won't stray. I know they are pricy, I believe they are worth the money for the fit, protection, and comfort alone.

• Haha 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Klim goretex is top notch. I have the older Badlands jacket and pants I bought on sale. Rode thru freezing temperatures with sleet and it kept me warm and dry. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a new badlands pro. The jacket was built like a tank but I hated the fit. I've always worn Alpinestars gear on my road bikes and loved the fit. I sold the Klim and bought a Guyana gortex jacket on closeout for an awsome price. I love the fit and its really comfy. 

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the reply’s. I did go with the Klim Dakar, kind of an entry level jacket but its been good for summer use so far. I may want to find something else later on for wet weather though.  

5 hours ago, DT675 said:

Thanks for the reply’s. I did go with the Klim Dakar, kind of an entry level jacket but its been good for summer use so far. I may want to find something else later on for wet weather though.  

Make sure you get Gore-Tex. It's worth the price especially when's it's cold and raining. 

• Like 1

Ryan Fortnine did some scientific testing of different waterproof/breathable membranes.  Alpinestars Drystar was pretty much the worst one for breathability, to my recollection (as in it didn't have any).

I find the Klim fit too boxy (basically a sack with arms), so for the best fit + top performance/quality if prefer Rukka.  

Edited by Toei

18 hours ago, Toei said:

Ryan Fortnine did some scientific testing of different waterproof/breathable membranes.  Alpinestars Drystar was pretty much the worst one for breathability, to my recollection (as in it didn't have any).

<snip>

yup...I can concur by actually wearing a set...freaking sweat shop inside my jacket anything over 5C lol...

Alpinestars Andes v3 for 10 months now, my decision for laminate waterproofing over the 3 layer stuff was location. Northern Europe, Wales, Atlantic weather. The stuff is great. Keeps you dry. No under kit needed generally in winter.  Maybe one layer on v. Cold days. Does get warm in the summer though if your not on the move. Fortunately ? 90% of the time you’d be cold on a bike here, ☃️not overheating😁. No naked rides  on the M4. 😳

the vents work well, but as said, when you stop for a brew, you take your jacket off. I’d get dedicated lightweight enduro kit if I was out for a jolly getting sweaty in the mud. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was at my local dealer trying on the Carlsbad and Marrakesh stuff that they had in stock last weekend. I loved the Marrakesh, but it is more street oriented, and very light/vented for summer riding. The Carlsbad on the other hand was way too heavy, bulky and hot for what I was looking for, I would not want to wear that stuff in the heat!

I ended up ordering a set of Baja S4 jacket/pants, and the Enduro jacket/pants which serve as a shell for the Baja stuff to make it 4-season gear.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Alpinestar drystar does not breath, I have one and dont wear it. FOR SALE!  The Klim gear is too heavy and only fits after you eat a huge meal.  I went with Revit cayenne pro with an over layer for rain.  It is awesome and I will always buy Revit

• Like 1