Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Overwhelmed

Motorcyclegordy

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. I will be taking delivery of my T7 likely in March. As I do want to ride it off road and on trails, I am looking at purchasing some mods to make it bulletproof. It seems very overwhelming With all of the options available. So many questions and notes.  What product will work with another aftermarket product, who  has inventory who doesn’t, what Is necessary and a priority, what can wait, Can you get it in your own country, so many different reviews of all of the different products on YouTube, mostly positive. I realize these are first world problems but honestly I can’t wait for the stress to be over of having the bike outfitted the way I want at some point.

• Like 2

I'm waiting for mine as well.  I have a few things that I thought are necessary before I even get the first ride in.  The Bobblehead fix from Camel is a must.  I have some crash bars of some sort to be installed.  A tail rack from Dualsportplus.ca   And a few small items like screen protection.  Oh, and some decent tires.  The tires that come with it are dry pavement only in my opinion.  Now I'll wait until I get the mighty beast and then decide on the rest.  Otherwise I'll be buying stuff I don't need.  

I'm going to ride the back roads around Lilloote BC this year.  You should join me. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I'm waiting for mine as well.  I have a few things that I thought are necessary before I even get the first ride in.  The Bobblehead fix from Camel is a must.  I have some crash bars of some sort to be installed.  A tail rack from Dualsportplus.ca   And a few small items like screen protection.  Oh, and some decent tires.  The tires that come with it are dry pavement only in my opinion.  Now I'll wait until I get the mighty beast and then decide on the rest.  Otherwise I'll be buying stuff I don't need.  

I'm going to ride the back roads around Lilloote BC this year.  You should join me. 

I can’t think of a better way to wait for a vaccine!  Let me know when. The more notice the better! Thanks 

• Like 1

Don't wait for the bike!

I told myself I wouldn't get crazy off-road until I bought some basic protection for the bike. That promise lasted 3 seconds and I ended up with a thrashed side panel, a hole in my stator cover, and a few quarts of moto-blood pouring onto the trail while waiting on covid related manufacturing/shipping delays.

Narrow your focus to skid plate, case savers, crash bars, and decent hand guards, everything after that gets replaced with new fancy farkles after the stock stuff has been destroyed (mirrors, tail tidy, etc...). Might cut down on the stress, just a suggestion.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Samm said:

Don't wait for the bike!

I told myself I wouldn't get crazy off-road until I bought some basic protection for the bike. That promise lasted 3 seconds and I ended up with a thrashed side panel, a hole in my stator cover, and a few quarts of moto-blood pouring onto the trail while waiting on covid related manufacturing/shipping delays.

Narrow your focus to skid plate, case savers, crash bars, and decent hand guards, everything after that gets replaced with new fancy farkles after the stock stuff has been destroyed (mirrors, tail tidy, etc...). Might cut down on the stress, just a suggestion.

I agree with your list of armour before setting off.  I didn't mention hand guards as the dealer said he would throw in a set of Hepco Becker guards.  I don't know how that will work out yet as I haven't seen them.  I'll go with Bark Busters if they don't work.  The skid plate... I like the Camel Gut Guard.  I just need to pan a bit more gold to afford one.  

Case savers?  What be these you speak of?  

Yes, the rest can be replaced after I destroy piece by piece.  But I'll try and be nice to this machine.  It's the last bike I'll buy.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I agree with your list of armour before setting off.  I didn't mention hand guards as the dealer said he would throw in a set of Hepco Becker guards.  I don't know how that will work out yet as I haven't seen them.  I'll go with Bark Busters if they don't work.  The skid plate... I like the Camel Gut Guard.  I just need to pan a bit more gold to afford one.  

Case savers?  What be these you speak of?  

Yes, the rest can be replaced after I destroy piece by piece.  But I'll try and be nice to this machine.  It's the last bike I'll buy.  

100% agree with the Camel Gut Guard! I thrashed my stock skid plate until I didn't trust it anymore then went with the SW-Motech for the higher protection up front. In hindsight I should have gone with Camel - better features, lower profile, and black powder coating for the win (not to mention Canadian!). 

I've owned Acerbis and now have Barkbusters and will be a Barkbusters fanboy for life now, way better product.

I have Triple Clamp case savers (https://tripleclampmoto.ca/collections/yamaha-t7/products/hdpe-engine-covers-yamaha-700?variant=35059973259309) and while install was a bit fiddly the end result is great. R&G make a good set too but Triple Clamp are out of Toronto so my money went local.   

• Like 2

Gordy,

Welcome to the club. It seems to me you know how you want to use it. Get guards, tires if you are planning on rough single track, and  springs for your weight.

Then ride the Shet out ‘ff it!

After that you will know what you need.

...and bring a friend to help pick it up!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Welcome. What's your level of riding? Where do you want to ride? How hard do you want to ride? I have one of the first T7's to come to Alberta, in early May of last year, and put a few bits on my bike then, and rode it. I couldn't get stuff. Imported a bunch of stuff from a mate in Aussie, but had to wait. Put 2500kms on it, mostly gravel back roads with stock skid, and Yamaha crash bars. Then received all my 'protection' and put another 5500kms on it - everything from pavement, gravel, single/double track, and forestry service roads. Been down a number of times post 'protection' with nothing more than a scratch. Point, is, depending upon where you want to ride it, and how aggressively, would make my decision on what I would worry about now versus, order it, ride it while waiting, and fit it when you get it.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...

@Motorcyclegordythe good news is that you're in the right place.  This particular group has been about the most constructive, least toxic place I've found for discussing this bike.  Welcome!

• Like 3

Welcome... Just to remind you that the list with parts just grows, does not get smaller.. 🤣😃

Bike is top class but needs a bit of modding to make it perfect 👌 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GreatDistances said:

@Motorcyclegordythe good news is that you're in the right place.  This particular group has been about the most constructive, least toxic place I've found for discussing this bike.  Welcome!

Thanks to all for the replies. Definitely seems like a good friendly group of riders. I am looking to do anything from highway to forest service roads, hill climbs, dual track and single track. Looking to expand my Offroad horizons. Have had many 1000 L adventure bikes and I am super excited for my T7 to arrive hopefully in March. I have ordered the camel ADV gut guard skid plate, Monsoon three panniers and I am about to order the rear spring correct for my weight from rally raid. Also looking at ordering the soft luggage rack from them and potentially the rear rackMonsoon three panniers and I am about to order the rear spring correct for my weight from rally raid. Also looking at ordering the soft luggage rack from them and potentially the rear rack. Still trying to decide on engine guards, may end up going with OEM on that one. Bark busters are a must as well. That of course there’s all kinds of other non-essentials to add eventually. Oxford heated grips, atlas cruise control. I think I’m going to order the rally seat sooner than later as I am 63 with a 34 inch inseam. As mentioned in the title of this thread I am getting tired of researching all of this LOL. 

1 minute ago, Motorcyclegordy said:

Thanks to all for the replies. Definitely seems like a good friendly group of riders. I am looking to do anything from highway to forest service roads, hill climbs, dual track and single track. Looking to expand my Offroad horizons. Have had many 1000 L adventure bikes and I am super excited for my T7 to arrive hopefully in March. I have ordered the camel ADV gut guard skid plate, Monsoon three panniers and I am about to order the rear spring correct for my weight from rally raid. Also looking at ordering the soft luggage rack from them and potentially the rear rackMonsoon three panniers and I am about to order the rear spring correct for my weight from rally raid. Also looking at ordering the soft luggage rack from them and potentially the rear rack. Still trying to decide on engine guards, may end up going with OEM on that one. Bark busters are a must as well. That of course there’s all kinds of other non-essentials to add eventually. Oxford heated grips, atlas cruise control. I think I’m going to order the rally seat sooner than later as I am 63 with a 34 inch inseam. As mentioned in the title of this thread I am getting tired of researching all of this LOL. 

Apologies for any confusion as I was using voice to text. I thought I double checked it but there’s a bit of a repeat in there. 

Among friends here. Our demographic  is varied. I expected to find more young’ns tho. Seems  most of us are on the other side of sixty.

T7 will work for most.

Unless you expect a gold wing on the street and A 701 enduro in the dirt.

• Like 1

So, clearly you have experience dropping big adventure bikes, and looks like you know where you want to ride. The rest is largely down to preference and risk tolerance. You have the Gut guard coming.👍 I'd recommend a lower chain guide, case protectors (R&G, I believe), aftermarket pegs and some crash bars. If I were to do it again (still might) I would fit Mosko Moto's (or similar) soft luggage Reckless 40 - https://moskomoto.com/collections/rackless-systems over my MM Back Country 25L set I have. As always, good tires, bark busters, headlight protector, and a tail tidy, and run with it.

• Like 3

I've noticed that most T7 owners suffer greatly from the same mind disease that infect KLR 650 owners - that there are not enough mods to be done and  farkles to be purchased to make one feel content!! 🤣 The possibilities are infinite! 😶 When I bought my T7 I had to ride it home 3,000 km bare bones and only dropped it a couple times (no real damage done). And then winter set in, so lots of time to "contemplate"  and thus my box of purchased farkles is growing month by month! Got to do my part to keep the "real economy" going! Can't wait for Spring!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YukonPete said:

I've noticed that most T7 owners suffer greatly from the same mind disease that infect KLR 650 owners - that there are not enough mods to be done and  farkles to be purchased to make one feel content!! 🤣 The possibilities are infinite! 😶 When I bought my T7 I had to ride it home 3,000 km bare bones and only dropped it a couple times (no real damage done). And then winter set in, so lots of time to "contemplate"  and thus my box of purchased farkles is growing month by month! Got to do my part to keep the "real economy" going! Can't wait for Spring!

If you ride a motorbike, you are afflicted with this!!

If you’re keen to soften the clutch pull (which is just ok stock) via Camel one finger or similar, just be aware those OEM crash bars you mentioned aren’t compatible with extending the stock lever arm due to their mounting taking up that space. 
   Triple clamp case savers, bark busters, chain guide, Camel gut guard & your preferred tire upgrades will all help off the tarmac

36 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

If you ride a motorbike, you are afflicted with this!!

And a consistent dose of upgrades is the only known remedy.

• Like 1

I'm waiting on my t7 also. march would be nice, would give me time to install all the farkles I've been collecting. I'm building mine as a straight dirtbike/singletrack bike. So my only concerns are protecting the engine and grippy tires. I should probably do an introduction too,  just feels weird when I don't have the bike yet.  (I didn't know triple clamp existed, just ordered there case saver kit to add to the pile).  

• Like 1

Items ordered. 
@camel adv skid plate

rally raid soft luggage rack, rear rack, spanner, vinyl front fender screws, rear spring 95 nm, double take mirrors. 
about to order unless anyone has better suggestions?
Yammy crash bars, rad guard, headlight protector,  rally seat which apparently isn’t on the website anymore. Sales guy looking into it. 

also getting Barkbusters. 

Edited by Motorcyclegordy
  • Like 1

I just invested in Rally Raid Open Cartridge fork kit. I'm about the same weight (and went with a 9.0 spring - already have an 8.5 but its not quite enough), and ride fairly aggressively on double/single track (I also bush ride a WR450), and found the front fork severely lacking. Not cheap, but I think a necessity, along with a re-valve sourced locally to match your new spring.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

I just invested in Rally Raid Open Cartridge fork kit. I'm about the same weight (and went with a 9.0 spring - already have an 8.5 but its not quite enough), and ride fairly aggressively on double/single track (I also bush ride a WR450), and found the front fork severely lacking. Not cheap, but I think a necessity, along with a re-valve sourced locally to match your new spring.

I look forward to reading your conclusions about that investment 🙂

• Like 1

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

4 hours ago, Motorcyclegordy said:

Items ordered. 
@camel adv skid plate

rally raid soft luggage rack, rear rack, spanner, vinyl front fender screws, rear spring 95 nm, double take mirrors. 
about to order unless anyone has better suggestions?
Yammy crash bars, rad guard, headlight protector,  rally seat which apparently isn’t on the website anymore. Sales guy looking into it. 

also getting Barkbusters. 

I highly recommend getting the stainless front and rear wheel spacers from Rally Raid if you haven't put them on your order already.  They're not terribly pricey and including them in your shipment now will be cheaper than shipping them later.  They are worth it.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 9:03 PM, Motorcyclegordy said:

As I do want to ride it off road and on trails, I am looking at purchasing some mods to make it bulletproof. 

I throw in my 2 cents: 

~Rally Raid upgraded heavier rear spring as stock spring is made for a North American teenage boy. 

~Camel headlight anti bobblehead

~Skid plate (Camel gutgaurd as it has the linkage protection) 

~Engine case guards (Triple Clamp)

~tires (Motoz Tractionator RallZ)

~T7Rally screen adjuster (I use this every time I get on the freeway for more than 20 minutes, absolutely amazing and cheap)  

~crash bars (Adventure Spec) 

~larger foot pegs (IMS Rally)

~handgaurds (Cycra Pro)

~T7Rally tail tidy

~LED blinkers that I wired into running lights both front and back

~Camel high fender kit (if you've ever seen sticks and rocks lock the front wheel of a low fender, you'll know why to get a high fender kit)

Been riding for 41 years since I was a kid, but only rode and raced dirt bikes. This is my first adventure bike. First twin. First bike not born of Earth. First bike over 310 pounds. And I can say doing these mods will take the T7 and help it handle off-road, within reason. The suspension on the bike is under-sprung and the forks are twigs so going fast through whoops and you'll notice it. But just good old rallying on wide forest roads and logging roads and the bike handles like a porky  WR450, which isn't a bad thing yet you could ride it to Alaska right after. And then turn around and ride back and not have to worry about it breaking down hence why I bought it. Long trips that the dirt bikes can't do, or rather I cant do on the dirt bikes. The engine albeit not exciting at upper RPM's, is just an absolute grunt and joy to ride, especially down low on steeps. Love the motor. 

IMG_0373.jpg

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Canzvt said:

Also be interested to here your take on this fork cartridge. As a flyweight, the front end only feels lacking when getting really aggressive or airborne. Those bottom out clacks are cringe worthy.

That open cartridge mod sounded rather interesting in the Aussie review.