Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Harley Pan America

Marc

OMG, that thing is heavy. Guys, there are gonna be broken pieces of "Screaming Eagle" parts all over the trails pretty soon. Im picturing a bunch of middle aged upper dudes trying to take that "thing" off road and having all kinds of trouble. 

It will be a great road bike, and probably really phucking expensive. But that ain't no ADV bike. 

• Haha 1

Harley riders are different, not sure if this ugly duckling is going to be terribly popular for trail riding. Mind you was out on the weekend, doing some  gravel roads and a dr650 going the other way,  was being followed by a Harley sportster??😳 and last weekend went out to see a mates "farm" where he's got a mx track, 4x4 heaven and a shooting range. Getting in was sand mixed with gravel roads then mainly compacted sandy roads. I'm getting too old for this I thought 😬, but at the other end was a Harley road king towing a camper trailer? Who needs an adventure bike? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

OMG, that thing is heavy. Guys, there are gonna be broken pieces of "Screaming Eagle" parts all over the trails pretty soon. Im picturing a bunch of middle aged upper dudes trying to take that "thing" off road and having all kinds of trouble. 

It will be a great road bike, and probably really phucking expensive. But that ain't no ADV bike. 

I doubt you will see any go further than parked next to a GS at the local Star Bucks.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

I’ll be impressed when the Pol Tarres video shows us what it can REALLY do.

He'll bust up a lot more than just spokes...

• Like 1

This entire promo is aimed at the current Harley riders/fan base. They are trying sooo hard to convince that they are not too late to the game, with all the heritage bs. For anyone who has ridden anything remotely adventure-like, there is nothing new to the type of bike, making the engine part of the load bearing frame, even textiles instead of leather. They're in trouble as a company and this is their last-ditch attempt to make a hard left into a new segment, while fiercely trying to convince their base that they still are the long-bearded, leatherwearing "outlaws".

I'd welcome a revolutionary bike into the segment, but this isn't it...

Edited by WalterT
  • Like 3

Ok I am probably offtopic (again) but the incoming Buell looks "more something" 🙂 Wait no not offtopic Buell is almost Harley? or not?
Buell (encore) de retour !

Ducati V4 S is even heavier and no one seems to be crawling all over it about being a pig.😬

The big KTMs are just under what this thing weighs. Face it big cc bikes are going to weigh more it is a known fact. 99% of those type bikes never see anything but pavement anyway.

• Like 2

Credit to "the MoCo" for making something different.

I don't want to try but I'd be willing to bet a decent rider will take it as far as a GS would go.

well as much as I don't like HD I have to say that 1250GSA weights about 590lbs so that makes it heavier then pan-am but a quiet a bit.Just my .02$

1 hour ago, UtahJack said:

@roy826

OK, she may not be the heaviest pig on the block, but you have to admit hand down this is the ugliest.

It won't win a beauty contest but there is ugly throughout the ADV bike ranks. The KTMs with the pregnant look rank high up on the ugly scale.

• Like 2

A lot of the harley riders crowd also started on the dirt, this bike will work to bridge the sofa/dirtbike gap.

36 minutes ago, roy826 said:

It won't win a beauty contest but there is ugly throughout the ADV bike ranks. The KTMs with the pregnant look rank high up on the ugly scale.

You mean ktm with saggy titties haha yes I agree ktm ad HD take the cake for the ugliest bike 

This promo practically contradicts itself. 
Heritage angle; ‘We’ve always done this, we invented adventure riding’

Revolutionary angle; ‘This is something shockingly new,

that no-one’s ever done before & only we would dare’

It sounds frighteningly over burdened with modern electronic wizardry too. Something the vast majority of T7 pilots probably have an aversion too. Thankfully, Yamaha has returned us to a simpler time with their wildly popular machine. 
   The thought of having blue tooth connectivity interrupting  the ride with notifications on a huge tft screen borders on blasphemy, for me at least. I go riding to avoid all that sh*t.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

The thought of having blue tooth connectivity interrupting  the ride with notifications on a huge tft screen borders on blasphemy, for me at least. I go riding to avoid all that sh*t.

exactly! My other favorite line from an article I read is:

Mr. Bozmoski described the work leading to the choice of the 62.2-inch wheelbase. “In our early work we were riding and trying alternatives. A long wheelbase is stable; short is nimble. We think we found the right balance. This is a bike that can go 135 mph with rider and passenger, bags full. Our leading competitors’ bags have a sticker.”

Yup, going a 135mph with full bags and a passenger is REALLY IMPORTANT on a ADV bike. They need a new marketing strategy.

the self adjusting height suspension thingie............... 

on the other hand, the anakee wilds do look though, might try em on the T7

Edited by HugoB

Wow...tough crowd...

true it is a heavy bugger for the type of sports we like to do: fast, nimble, technical

However I believe this guy is aiming more toward relaxed, across country with leisure, slightly beaten but nothing crazy crowd. 

also for the basic model, 17K start is really aggressive for a Harley, hell, even for a whole large size ADV market.

I might never own one but I do appreciate a LOT of upgraded tech Harley has put in to make it a head turning machine for sure...(never have to do a valve adjustment to name one of the few)

don't know...maybe down the line when I decide I want to stick to gravel with sofa comfort, then I maybe will poke my head in a HD dealer again.

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 3

and here is KTM with the new 1290 adventure R, with Chris Birch, rip Harley sales? 😄

Edited by HugoB

1 hour ago, HugoB said:

and here is KTM with the new 1290 adventure R, with Chris Birch, rip Harley sales? 😄

But come on!, Harley has AQUAMAN! 😄

I don't think I will ever have one in my garage, but  finally harley is going in a better direction. How many fat and heavy cruisers does a manufacturer need in their line-up? Although it is an ugly pig, nothing a bit of lipstick can't fix!😆  it's got one redeeming feature, AHR adaptive ride height. I guess it would be popular with the vertically challenged, or older riders who are willing to head off the road. I think this model will become a cult-like classic, simply because it's so ugly. 

• Like 1