Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Clutch noise

Henry Enoksen

Question

When the engine is warm and and I go off the throttle there is a singing, whining noise from the clutch. The noise varies with the rpm. It disappears when I disengage the clutch. Anyone here that can tell me what it is? Familiar to others too? (Clutch bearring?)

The Yamaha dealer opened the clutch housing and found nothing wrong. I have owned a lot of bikes and never heard this sound before.

4 answers to this question

Is it only in one certain gear or in all gears? Maybe it isn't the clutch but something else. (Chain, chain roller etc.)

The noise follows the rpm of the engine. Was at the dealer; they found nothing wrong.... Yamaha in general?

That does not surprise me. Without having the bike here I only can guess but I'd say it is not the clutch but the transmission. Many bikes make whining noises either when accelerating or decelerating. Check chain tension and you may try a thicker oil like 10/60. 

According to my dealer the cause is most likely the cam chain tensioner...on my bike it became more noticeable after break-in & is a slightly higher pitched whir/whine noise that is rev dependent that does not change with the clutch pulled in & most prominent when standing on the right side of the bike & in the bottom half of the rpm range.  The volume/prominence can vary per bike as I compared it to 2 other T7s & all were slightly different in volume/prominence.  Several current Yamaha models use a similar cam chain tensioner & make a similar noise. I was told it is normal for the CP2 motor.  My T7 has 3k km & the noise level of the whir/whine has remained constant since it's initial change after break-in & became slightly muted since changing to Maxima Extra4 15w50 triple ester fully synthetic vs Yamaha 15w50 fully synthetic that the dealer put in at the 1st service. I would only be concerned if the noise continues to change with more miles.

Edited by prowlnS10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1