Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Off-road mode?

al700

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Yeah, hold ABS button and rear brake ABS is turned off and ‘OFF-ROAD’ appears on the dash. That’s it.

I'm wondering if it is possible to  make a normal on/off switch, for example by bypassing ABS fuse (if there is a separate ABS fuse).

This solution should switch off the ABS even while driving as I permanently forget to do it after every stop. What do you guys think about it ?

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, al700 said:

The best switch would be the one to turn off only the rear wheel abs only...

Agree!!

• Like 2

I agree with you, this would be the best, but for the moment the question is if we can do any switch at all ...

I'll try to check cables and fuses during this weekend, maybe I'll find the way. Or maybe someone knows it already ?

• 3 months later...

following....  I wan't an ABS off switch/bypass.

I put one on my xtz1200.   I did put a spacer in the rear ABS pick up to confuse the ABS on my T7, it worked well at permanently disabling the ABS, and left the Speedo working, however through a few cycles of the key - it threw an engine warning light...    so need another solution.

Edited by Mortaygo

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Mortaygo said:

anyone???  not very adventurous you lot.. 😀

It is one step past a switch/bypass, but @tonyubsdell is the only one I am aware of that has done an abs delete, in his weight reduction quest. 

completely removing the fist sized abs pump saves probably 3 pounds of mass but at a price. 
the display shows „error“, a yellow abs light at the low right hand side shines yellow as does an angine failure light. 
a test ride proved the loss of speed, measured distance, fuel consumption. 
after refitting the abs module everything was fine again. 
beeing an „electrical dyslectic“ i had to use my (some say limited) common sense. 
the plug that connects to the abs pump has a (red) electrical supply and a black minus pole on the opposite side. 
in between there are 7 pairs of pins that provide the exchange of electrical info between the abs module and the main electrical harness. 
i took the risk and tried different combinations of pins and electricity leading cables on the plug (not connected to the abs pump at that moment)
best i got was a dimmed abs light on the display. error sign stayed on, speed reading was still not functional. 
my guess is that i need a female plug instead of the abs unit to make the bike‘s cpu think the abs is connected. 

i am confident that in the near future the combined wisdom in this forum will come up with a solution for this problem my limited brain cannot solve. 
c‘m on..!
and thanks in advance...

best regards from the german outback”

Edited by tenerecanada
Formatting

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Truly, not knowing. A resistor, probably 2-4 ohm would be enough. Disconnect plug at abs module. Make/purchase plug, add resistor to circuit. Should not harm anything. The computer just needs to see something is there.

One wire will be power

one signal

one ground

I suspect the signal and ground would be the bridge for the resistor.

Then again.

Power might come off computer, but I bet there is a fuse for it, therefore signal and ground.

And the other nice thing about a system like this. Is plug and play.

when you hit the ass fault, plug the abs in

• Supporting Vendor

ABS Delete isn't that straight forward with any of the modern bikes. You'll get fault lights trying to use a single resistor. FTECU develops ABS Delete blocks that you plug into the ABS module itself, but there is no control through the ECU whatsoever for the ABS system on any Yamaha models. 

Until they develop an ABS Delete kit for these bikes, riders will unfortunately be stuck with the ABS control provided through the stock dash.

• Like 1

2wheellogo.jpg

24 minutes ago, 2 Wheel DynoWorks said:

ABS Delete isn't that straight forward with any of the modern bikes. You'll get fault lights trying to use a single resistor. FTECU develops ABS Delete blocks that you plug into the ABS module itself, but there is no control through the ECU whatsoever for the ABS system on any Yamaha models. 

Until they develop an ABS Delete kit for these bikes, riders will unfortunately be stuck with the ABS control provided through the stock dash.

Sometimes technology just sucks.

What's wrong with just turning it off with the button in the dash? It stays off until you switch the engine off. I ran it like that for miles and several hours (off), both on and off road in the Pyrenees. You just have to remember to hold the button down again if you switch the engine off.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, al700 said:

An abs delete for the rear wheel only by Yamaha or anyone else would be welcome...

That's what i'm looking forward!!

• 9 months later...

ABS and ECU are completely separate modules.  I'm looking into spoofing the signal from the dash button somehow.  It's definitely a canbus/obd2 signal, as there's no direct connection between the head unit button and ABS module.  If anyone knows how to send that signal, I'd be eternally grateful.  

• 1 month later...

I'm just testing a switchable ABS delete using a relay switch to bypass the fuse. 

Turns out you can bypass either the 20amp or the 30amp fuse. Neither affect the dash. 

It's a work in progress but seems to work so far. 

IMG-20210123-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20210123-WA0023.jpeg

IMG-20210123-WA0019.jpeg

• Like 3

The Yamaha release video does actually say the abs switch can be done “on the fly” which should mean on the move .

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 8:47 PM, Rich TT said:

What's wrong with just turning it off with the button in the dash? It stays off until you switch the engine off. I ran it like that for miles and several hours (off), both on and off road in the Pyrenees. You just have to remember to hold the button down again if you switch the engine off.

Also, if you don't switch it off the engine with button/key, but kill it (for example, brake on and release cluch...), it stay off.

I don't know if kill the engine is very gently to it... but is better than forget to disable abs every stop.