Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Replacement excel rims??

Huero

I am interested in replacing just the rims on my Oem wheels.  I am thinking of changing the color scheme. Does anyone know what size excel rims I can purchase? I mean, for some reason I cannot navigate their website. 
Anyway, thank you, 

huero

• Like 1

I'm just looking for a place to get an extra pair of wheels ... I want a pair with tyres more road biassed and a pair for the dirt with some real gnarly rubber. 

YouTube - RIDER GUIDER - check out my T7 playlist and say hello 😀 

• 4 weeks later...

They are not off the shelf rims.  You need them custom drilled. I bought a rear rim and spokes from off-the-road.de  or you can buy a complete set from rally raid.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/4/2021 at 9:04 PM, Canadian-t7 said:

They are not off the shelf rims.  You need them custom drilled. I bought a rear rim and spokes from off-the-road.de  or you can buy a complete set from rally raid.

Any chance to get some info on the rim? Specification, type name etc. Thanks

@Mezekk it's an excel taskasago 18x2.5, 36 hole blank rim that requires custom drilling.  You can't buy a rear rim yet specifically for this bike. I still have the stock front rim, but I'd guess you could probably find an of the shelf solution for it(front rim).

Edited by Canadian-t7
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 2:35 AM, RIDER GUIDER said:

I'm just looking for a place to get an extra pair of wheels ... I want a pair with tyres more road biassed and a pair for the dirt with some real gnarly rubber. 

The 19x2.15”excel rim with a 110 anake adventure-for the front . Stock back wheel with another anake in 150 should fit the street bill. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, 

I'm looking to rebuild my wheels as well. 

reasons the front one is completely mangled and the rear 150 just seems an annoying size to find dirt oriented tyres readily available.. 

so my question is, what size(s) rim would be recommended on the back to use in conjunction with 140 tyres? 

my mechanic also told me that perhaps its not necessary to get the stainless spokes even though the originals tend to corrode a little bit, they have a little bit more flex and give then stainless..?  

as mentioned above I've seen on off the road they offer this :

Front: 

excel-exel-felge-rim-yamaha-tenere-700-g

Excel front rim Yamaha Tenere 700 - Excel front rim and spoke set for the Yamaha Tenere 700 models 2019 onwards On long distance travels you often find the most weak point of many original Yamaha whee

Rear: 

Excel rim 2.50x18" Yamaha Tenere 700 - Excel rim 2.50x18"and spoke set for the Yamaha Tenere 700 models 2019 onwards On long distance travels you often find the most weak point of many original Yamaha

2.50 then again is maybe too narrow for a realistic all round use of the bike? 

maybe even go for the gold ones? xD 

cheers 

Hugo

image.thumb.png.89d98f2c040c735f0e8f8f58ad9907cf.png

Edited by HugoB
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, HugoB said:

hey guys, 

I'm looking to rebuild my wheels as well. 

reasons the front one is completely mangled and the rear 150 just seems an annoying size to find dirt oriented tyres readily available.. 

so my question is, what size(s) rim would be recommended on the back to use in conjunction with 140 tyres? 

my mechanic also told me that perhaps its not necessary to get the stainless spokes even though the originals tend to corrode a little bit, they have a little bit more flex and give then stainless..?  

as mentioned above I've seen on off the road they offer this :

Front: 

Excel front rim Yamaha Tenere 700 - Excel front rim and spoke set for the Yamaha Tenere 700 models 2019 onwards On long distance travels you often find the most weak point of many original Yamaha whee

Rear: 

Excel rim 2.50x18" Yamaha Tenere 700 - Excel rim 2.50x18"and spoke set for the Yamaha Tenere 700 models 2019 onwards On long distance travels you often find the most weak point of many original Yamaha

2.50 then again is maybe too narrow for a realistic all round use of the bike? 

maybe even go for the gold ones? xD 

cheers 

Hugo

image.thumb.png.89d98f2c040c735f0e8f8f58ad9907cf.png

2.5 rear is perfect for a proper 140 off road tyre. I have a second pair of wheels from Rally Raid that I can swap in 10 mins flat. Check them out and what they offer. I went for gold.

Cheers

Rich

IMG_20200710_072838.jpg

Edited by Rich TT
  • Like 2

those gold rims look sweet on that bike!!! ❤️❤️ 

(wonder if it will be as cool on my black and blue one? 😛 )

unfortunately can't find the product on rally raid website at this time, maybe currently not available. and also it seems to be a nightmare to get stuff in from the UK to the EU 😞😞

would you say running a narrower tyre makes a significant difference off road? 

3 hours ago, HugoB said:

those gold rims look sweet on that bike!!! ❤️❤️ 

(wonder if it will be as cool on my black and blue one? 😛 )

unfortunately can't find the product on rally raid website at this time, maybe currently not available. and also it seems to be a nightmare to get stuff in from the UK to the EU 😞😞

would you say running a narrower tyre makes a significant difference off road? 

I suggest giving John @Ktmmitcha ring at Rally Raid with regards to to the rims not being on the website.

Much better off road with a narrower rear. It drives and carves better, whereas a wide tyre just feels like a balloon with no feeling etc. Obviously this is real off road stuff, not gravel tracks. It is a world better.

Cheers

Rich

I want to place an order for an Excel rear 2.5" rim + spoke set.

Can anyone please tell me the product codes, or anything else I'll need to make sure I order the correct parts??

On 8/12/2021 at 11:36 PM, Canadian-t7 said:

@Mezekk it's an excel taskasago 18x2.5, 36 hole blank rim that requires custom drilling.  You can't buy a rear rim yet specifically for this bike. I still have the stock front rim, but I'd guess you could probably find an of the shelf solution for it.  

When you say "requires custom drilling" I take it you mean that the standard spoke holes just need opening up?

Edited by Innocente46
typo

@Innocente46 no, it's the angle of the holes.  The tenere hub is significantly wider then a standard dirt bike hub, the holes aren't the same angle left and right either(rim only fits one way). Angle is so steep that the holes come in on the very outside of the blank holes.(I'll take a picture when I get home). Would be nice if someone in North America was drilling these wheels though. 

Edit: also oem spokes won't fit the 18x2.5 rear rim. Oem rim spaces the spokes so they aren't on the centerline of the rim, 18x2.5 has them on the centerline, so you need longer spokes. 

Edited by Canadian-t7
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Canadian-t7 said:

@Innocente46 no, it's the angle of the holes.  The tenere hub is significantly wider then a standard dirt bike hub, the holes aren't the same angle left and right either(rim only fits one way). Angle is so steep that the holes come in on the very outside of the blank holes.(I'll take a picture when I get home). Would be nice if someone in North America was drilling these wheels though. 

Interesting, so you can buy the rims un-drilled (blank) and then drill them yourself? I suppose then it would be quite vital to get the holes where they need to be.

@Innocente46 yes, it's a blank rim no holes, but a 36 hole blank still has evenly spaced bumps (36, for 36 spoke wheels) where you would drill your own holes. You would need a way to accurately drill those angles, but you would also need to know the pitch and yaw of every hole. Not sure if pitch and yaw is the correct term, but there are multiple angles on each hole.  

Edit: it's an impossible task for me so I bought the rim and spokes from off the road.de  , spoking a rim is hard enough.

Edited by Canadian-t7
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Canadian-t7 said:

@Innocente46 yes, it's a blank rim no holes, but a 36 hole blank still has evenly spaced bumps (36, for 36 spoke wheels) where you would drill your own holes. You would need a way to accurately drill those angles, but you would also need to know the pitch and yaw of every hole. Not sure if pitch and yaw is the correct term, but there are multiple angles on each hole.  

Edit: it's an impossible task for me so I bought the rim and spokes from off the road.de  , spoking a rim is hard enough.

I see. Thanks for the info. So I could simply order an Excel 2.5" rim with x36 blank hole placements, then get my local wheel builder do the drilling & assembly. But I still need to order the correct spoke set. 

• Like 2

@Innocente46 yes you could. The spokes are generic lengths, wheel builder will probably have them. I had to trim down the drive side spokes that came in the kit.