Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Ténéré 700 - Touratech RallyeForm Skid Plate - Installation and Review

orbsurfer

In this video I install the Touratech RallyeForm Skid Plate on my Yamaha Ténéré 700. I choose the Touratech Skid Plate because of the shape, not because of the brand; every single part of the brand should be MUCH better! I really like the skid plate! I really do not like Touratech! 🙂 

The RallyeForm Skid Plate is more enclosed than any other skid plate on the market, and when riding at 40  mph - 60 km/h and above, there is no problem with heat build up. Riding on gravel roads and in the rough at slower speeds, I notice that the radiator fan turns on more frequently compared to when using the original small Yamaha skid plate, and the engine temperature shown on the cockpit display is higher.

I might end up perforating the area in front of the exhaust down pipes on this larger skid plate with a pattern of holes to alleviate the higher temperatures. I will do this by drawing up a diagram on the computer in AutoCAD, print out the diagram, glue the diagram onto the skid plate, punch about a hundred center marks and then drill the same amount of small holes... :-) The sad part is that I actually like doing this kind of stuff! 🙂

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I have the TouraTech Rallye bash plate on my Tenrere and on my BMW F750GS. I feel the rounded stamped shape can withstand a harder blow than welded sharp angles, which are probably not annealed after welding. The rounded shape looks good to boot.  I agree that some TouraTech products aren't the best design, but I use them often as here in Thailand, many products have to be imported and the duties are usually over 30% and then taxes and in country shipping add even more to the cost. TouraTech has a storefront here, so they are my go to shop for a lot of items, just so I don't have to deal with customs and importation issues.  I like their crash bars too, for looks only.  I drop tested one set on my BMW and the way the bar bent from the impact, there was no way to access the bolt to the frame so I had to cut the bar in order to get it off.  When my cut first penetrated the bar, the water that had collected from rain and creek crossings started pouring out.  One thing I learned from working in metal fabrication is that when you have a hollow body that water can get into, you drill weep holes at the lowest point to allow collected water to drain out. Poor design on several counts. I've had other issues with their designs as well.