Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Things Yamaha could change that would make the Tenere a better bike without adding much cost?

mpatch

My few  would be:

1. hinged gas cap

2. suspension made for the average adult riders weight with some bolt on crap  not some 150lb manlet who rides a stock bike naked 

3. A 2 amp fuse in the cigarette plug..... are you kidding me

4. tuck the muffler in 

5. Fix the headlight shake

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 6

• I would pay $500.00 more if it had factory cruise control.......old hands need it👍
  • Like 4

One thing I forgot to add to my list was talk to ktm about tool kits. 
My factory tool kits with my last two ktm’s can do almost anything to the bike. 
The only thing I had to add was another tire spoon to be able to address most any problems. 

With the Yamaha “tool kit” you can’t even remove the wheels. 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:
  • I would pay $500.00 more if it had factory cruise control.......old hands need it👍

That’s hard to do since it’s not a ride by wire. Just use the old o ring cruise. 
Nothing like cruise for less than a dollar. 

Edited by mpatch

10 minutes ago, mpatch said:

That’s hard to do since it’s not a ride by wire. Just use the old o ring cruise. 
Nothing like cruise for less than a dollar. 

I bought about ten of the Caterpillar yellow cruise o'rings years ago but it won't work properly on my T700.  I use a Go Cruise.  Works OK, but not like the real deal.

gc-25bk_1-500x391.png

Edited by whisperquiet

4 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I bought about ten of the Caterpillar yellow cruise o'rings years ago but it won't work properly on my T700.  I use a Go Cruise.  Works OK, but not like the real deal.

gc-25bk_1-500x391.png

What’s your bar setup? Picture ?

Pictures of the well known KLR650 cruise control o’ring and the Go Cruise mounted next to my Bikemaster heated grips.

61DA12CC-4A98-408F-96A0-322852D936F0.thumb.jpeg.71d980f959b8518a2a36b80fed279a4c.jpeg9ACE19A0-9EBD-4C90-9B9D-B8E5A559421E.thumb.jpeg.1e70794b635cecc60dd5f79bb2128a87.jpeg

23 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

Pictures of the well known KLR650 cruise control o’ring and the Go Cruise mounted next to my Bikemaster heated grips.

61DA12CC-4A98-408F-96A0-322852D936F0.thumb.jpeg.71d980f959b8518a2a36b80fed279a4c.jpeg9ACE19A0-9EBD-4C90-9B9D-B8E5A559421E.thumb.jpeg.1e70794b635cecc60dd5f79bb2128a87.jpeg

That’s all kind of weird. 
Grips are too short for the stock setup which would drive me nuts. The Yamaha factory heated grip spacer would fill the gap and then the poor mans o ring cruise would work 

I had to trim the spacers to work with the HDB guards but you get the idea. 
they are rigid plastic 

10723557-928A-4730-8383-80F894886B59.jpeg

Edited by mpatch

Yes, the heated grips are shorter but I don't even notice.  The Bikemasters work good and have a built in LCD voltage gauge.  The Go Cruise works for the brief times that I want to stretch my hands.

Edited by whisperquiet

all mentioned above and:
Tubeless wheels! Already has the tires, why not the wheels?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sracer said:

all mentioned above and:
Tubeless wheels! Already has the tires, why not the wheels?

That’s a marketing thing I’m guessing. Lots of old timers swear by tubes for bikes. Not much different than how many are still anti fuel injection in bikes or turbocharged engines in cars.... it ain’t 1987 anymore and things have come a long ways and the new stuff  works and is

reliable....

• Supporting Vendor

Yamaha Tenerè is almost perfect for my need. 
I would have a different muffler support, not welded to the frame.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mpatch said:

My few  would be:

1. hinged gas cap

2. suspension made for the average adult riders weight with some bolt on crap  not some 150lb manlet who rides a stock bike naked 

3. A 2 amp fuse in the cigarette plug..... are you kidding me

4. tuck the muffler in 

5. Fix the headlight shake

Are you going to hook up more than 24W worth of electricals to the plug?

• Like 1

Better fueling to improve the jerky Off/on throttle

Cruise control

Bolted subframe, not welded

Different Exhaust hanger

Different fork shimstack with more high speed damping.

Some cheap plastic rear rack

Tubeless wheels (this is not cheeap tho)

3 hours ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

Yes, a heated vest.

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

4 hours ago, Stabilo_Boss said:

My tiny tire pump. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

Yes, a heated vest.

a quick charge is 2A x 5V x 2 -> 20W and the fuse is for both left and right plugs if you have them optionnal OEM installed.

59 minutes ago, Hogan said:

I run a Milwaukee heated vest off the socket. It's about 1.2amps at 14.8v. Works fine

My Gerbing jacket is rated at 77W (6.4A) on high. My plan is using the stock outlet for electronic gizmos and a separate fused line (to the battery) for my jacket and/or anything needing more power. I could use this line to manance charge the battery, as I would expect the stock outlet is controlled (On/Off) by the ignition key

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

18 hours ago, mpatch said:

One thing I forgot to add to my list was talk to ktm about tool kits. 
My factory tool kits with my last two ktm’s can do almost anything to the bike. 
The only thing I had to add was another tire spoon to be able to address most any problems. 

With the Yamaha “tool kit” you can’t even remove the wheels. 

With KTM reliability I'm not surprised they know how to put a decent toolkit together! (Sorry I couldn't resist!)

All joking aside, it's a good point, the toolkit supplied with the T7 is essentially useless.

There's another KTM feature that would be nice to see, and that's the sprocket teeth they've added to the end of the swingarm that holds the chain while you remove and refit the back wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cant believe nobodys mentioned this yet...Fooking stainless steel spokes instead of the swiss cheese Shet they've fitted...Apart from that its pretty much spot on 👍

Edited by B15ape 1981
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CReamflourish said:

With KTM reliability I'm not surprised they know how to put a decent toolkit together! (Sorry I couldn't resist!)

All joking aside, it's a good point, the toolkit supplied with the T7 is essentially useless.

There's another KTM feature that would be nice to see, and that's the sprocket teeth they've added to the end of the swingarm that holds the chain while you remove and refit the back wheel. 

Another thing KTM is really good about is common fastener sizes throughout the bike. You can completely disassemble the whole bike with about 4 tools, and the axle wrench is also a tire spoon, and the tools they supply aren’t  Chineseium crap. 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, DORTx2 said:

Aluminum hand guards, what is even the point of the plastic ones?

Wind protection maybe?

6 minutes ago, didier said:

Wind protection maybe?

I dont know about that, I ride in a lot of cold weather and I dont feel like handguards to anything to keep my hands warm.

• Like 1