Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Things Yamaha could change that would make the Tenere a better bike without adding much cost?

mpatch

On 3/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, mpatch said:

My few  would be:

1. hinged gas cap

2. suspension made for the average adult riders weight with some bolt on crap  not some 150lb manlet who rides a stock bike naked 

3. A 2 amp fuse in the cigarette plug..... are you kidding me

4. tuck the muffler in 

5. Fix the headlight shake

I resemble that “150lb manlet” you speak of, but prefer too ride to in full gear as opposed to naked. (just not warm enough in these parts...) & for the record, even us flyweights can get easily acquainted with the bottom of the fork without going too crazy.

For the price, it’s GREAT bike off the shelf. But agreed, the exhaust position seems like a poorly executed after thought. Knew that would need remedied before even owning one. 
   Camel solved both that & the headlight shake, but it would have been nice if neither was necessary.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

A bolted subframe, as powder mentioned above, could have been the most fundamental game changer at hardly any cost at all, had Yamaha stuck to the concept T7.

Then one could exchange or modify the subframe better suited for our needs. The welded exhaust hanger is a no brainer too.

Optimally Yamaha could have made 3 different subframes better suited to the main tangents we tend to head towards, Dual Sports/Enduro, Adventure and Rally.

Currently it is a classic Dual Sports/Enduro. Sturdy enough to bolt on what you want in the classic way, basically what the XT was.

Bolt on a dedicated Adventure subframe with all the fixtures, extra fuel and protection designed into the construction. It would be narrower and lighter than bolting on things.

Or just bolt on the Rally kit, extra fuel, tight exhaust and light weight.

They could market three versions without much more effort and catering for range of suited suspension would top it off.

A rotational option for the dash.

Having the dash horizontal would allow more space above, obviously the figures in the display would need to flip but would be a great option. Add an angle adjustment, fix the bobble and I'd be happy with the game-boy dash.

On 3/10/2021 at 3:41 AM, mpatch said:

. it ain’t 1987 anymore

Wait... What??!!!

As I've said in other posts, this is a production bike for the masses, at a price target, hence there are MANY compromises that suit the market, but may not suit specific interests. A bolt on subframe of sufficient strength would probably add only $40-50 dollars per bike in material cost to the actual bike build cost, but likely over $5-700 per bike in labor/tooling amortization/logistics/etc costs. As a minimum comparison:

Frame with welded on subframe requires:

- Single CAD model

- Single BOM including all tubes specs

- Single CAM manufacturing schedule for all tubing cut or bent, machined components, fittings

- Single CNC production equipment including dies, mandrels, etc

- Single welding fabrication jig

- Single Robot cam path generation

- Single powder coating line jig/fixture to accommodate

- Single interplant packaging/fixturing for shipment from production line to assembly line

- Single quality plan

- Probably other stuff I haven't thought about

Frame with Separate bolt on subframe requires at least:

- Two CAD models

- Two BOMs including all tubes specs

- Two CAM manufacturing schedules for all tubing cut or bent, machined components, fittings

- Two CNC production equipment setups including dies, mandrels, etc

- Two welding fabrication jigs

- Two Robot cam paths generation

- Two powder coating line jigs/fixtures to accommodate

- Two interplant packaging/fixturing for shipment from production line to assembly line

- Two quality plans

- And probably other stuff I haven't thought about

Each of the above requires labor, physical and financial resources to enable. Would you pay another $1000 ($5-700 + margin) to have a bolt on subframe? Some would, but my guess would be the mass wouldn't care. Manufacturing a large volume product such as a motorcycle with thousands of parts is a design, planning, costing, logistical, manufacturing and distributing puzzle with millions of potential permutations. One that Yamaha has done pretty well for over 60 years. I think they did a pretty good job of building the T7 for the masses. Sure they could have done a better job for me, or maybe you, but Yamaha cares more about the millions of others where it will be just right as is.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

32 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

As I've said in other posts, this is a production bike for the masses, at a price target, hence there are MANY compromises that suit the market, but may not suit specific interests. A bolt on subframe of sufficient strength would probably add only $40-50 dollars per bike in material cost to the actual bike build cost, but likely over $5-700 per bike in labor/tooling amortization/logistics/etc costs. As a minimum comparison:

Frame with welded on subframe requires:

- Single CAD model

- Single BOM including all tubes specs

- Single CAM manufacturing schedule for all tubing cut or bent, machined components, fittings

- Single CNC production equipment including dies, mandrels, etc

- Single welding fabrication jig

- Single Robot cam path generation

- Single powder coating line jig/fixture to accommodate

- Single interplant packaging/fixturing for shipment from production line to assembly line

- Single quality plan

- Probably other stuff I haven't thought about

Frame with Separate bolt on subframe requires at least:

- Two CAD models

- Two BOMs including all tubes specs

- Two CAM manufacturing schedules for all tubing cut or bent, machined components, fittings

- Two CNC production equipment setups including dies, mandrels, etc

- Two welding fabrication jigs

- Two Robot cam paths generation

- Two powder coating line jigs/fixtures to accommodate

- Two interplant packaging/fixturing for shipment from production line to assembly line

- Two quality plans

- And probably other stuff I haven't thought about

Each of the above requires labor, physical and financial resources to enable. Would you pay another $1000 ($5-700 + margin) to have a bolt on subframe? Some would, but my guess would be the mass wouldn't care. Manufacturing a large volume product such as a motorcycle with thousands of parts is a design, planning, costing, logistical, manufacturing and distributing puzzle with millions of potential permutations. One that Yamaha has done pretty well for over 60 years. I think they did a pretty good job of building the T7 for the masses. Sure they could have done a better job for me, or maybe you, but Yamaha cares more about the millions of others where it will be just right as is.

That's kinda the point of this thread. A bolt on sub frame not a cheap change they could make. A hinged gas cap is along with lots of the other items mentioned. 

4 minutes ago, mpatch said:

That's kinda the point of this thread. A bolt on sub frame not a cheap change they could make. A hinged gas cap is along with lots of the other items mentioned. 

Thanks.

I understand the thread. Just giving some perspective to those who may not have a manufacturing background as to the complexity and hence the cost of their wants.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...