Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

OEM Heated Grips Obstructing Clutch Lever

Eric W.

I just had the OEM heated grips installed and immediately noticed that with the new setup I can no longer pull the lever back to my fingers/grips - I have about 1/2 the movement as before.  I have free-play in the clutch so it is completely functional but after 30+ years of riding this is going to take me quite a while to get used to.  The dealer said this is to be expected (as usual).  Are there aftermarket levers that have a bend that will alleviate this issue?

E

Photos?

Doesn't sound right...where/what is the clutch lever hitting? The brake lever clears?

• Like 1

The lever hits. Not a big deal at all unless you are a 4 finger lever puller and if you are that’s a really bad habit. Two fingers for the lever two for the bars. 
There is no reason to pull the lever all the way to the grip. 

48CE1515-F2B7-4F01-B2D5-5F7363FE6491.jpeg

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Should be fine.... A bit to much attention to detail... Sometimes we need to ride more and worry less... 😅👍🏼

• Like 4

Firstly, and arguably, all riders that go off road keep 2-3 fingers permanently on the grips, and use 1-2 fingers to pull the clutch lever.  It will be impossible to get the lever so close to the grip anyway, as it will hit the fingers first. 

Secondly,  why would you adjust the clutch so that the engagement point is so close to the grip?  It would require pulling the handle a loooong way before disengaging, or alternatively why pull the handle so far if it's already been disengaged long before that?

Agree with the other posters: not an issue. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW--I also just installed Yamaha heated grips & the clutch lever does not hit anything.  Can pull until the lever hits the rubber grip & nothing else; so something on your setup can be adjusted.