Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

The Power of Advertising...

Hibobb

The wife thinks I need my head examined...

I don't even have the bike home yet and I have plans of spending months of paychecks on "stuff" that I am to embarrassed to even list right now. It reminds me of 50+ years ago going thru the Sears and Roebuck catalog the weeks before christmas.

I think I need to step back and see what it really important. Do I really need to spend thousands of dollars and add 85 pounds to a perfectly good bike. Heck, started out telling the wife that I needed a new "light weight" adventure bike that was selling at a great price! I will never be 30 years old again and there is very little chance that I will ship the bike over to Borneo and lose myself in the wilds for months. Realistically the majority of my rides will be a few hundred mile loops, with a burger/beer stop half way thru. Yes, I will really try to take a week long trip to the Rocky mountains again but I may rough-it in hotel rooms this time, and not really need the new ultra lightweight tent, -20 sleeping bag, mattress pad, jet torch coffee maker, water purifying straw, malaria pills, etc...

I know many of you guys really need that stuff, and I wish you all happiness! I am only speaking for myself and where I am at in life. Getting a new bike (In the correct color, Intensity White) should be enough... I hope (wink).

They tell me my bike should be here in April, so hopefully that means I will have it by May/June (Humor). I have time to think and rethink my "needs". I will return with pictures then... in the meantime, attached is a picture from times when life was simpler.

Bob

m-c2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I have several friends who, when they order new bikes have boxes of stuff ordered and in the garage waiting..... I have never understood this probably because I have never ordered a new bike before. 

I'm waiting two months now for the T7 and it has been a struggle not to fall into the same behaviours. But I have told myself that I need time riding the bike first before adfing to it.....so far it has worked.

Good write up! Imfor me the standard bike looks awesome and i wanted to personalise it to my needs and not for show

so handguards. When off road it protects hands and levers etc etc

putting bits on just sometimes gives it the edge

53 minutes ago, Hibobb said:

The wife thinks I need my head examined...

I don't even have the bike home yet and I have plans of spending months of paychecks on "stuff" that I am to embarrassed to even list right now. It reminds me of 50+ years ago going thru the Sears and Roebuck catalog the weeks before christmas.

I think I need to step back and see what it really important. Do I really need to spend thousands of dollars and add 85 pounds to a perfectly good bike. Heck, started out telling the wife that I needed a new "light weight" adventure bike that was selling at a great price! I will never be 30 years old again and there is very little chance that I will ship the bike over to Borneo and lose myself in the wilds for months. Realistically the majority of my rides will be a few hundred mile loops, with a burger/beer stop half way thru. Yes, I will really try to take a week long trip to the Rocky mountains again but I may rough-it in hotel rooms this time, and not really need the new ultra lightweight tent, -20 sleeping bag, mattress pad, jet torch coffee maker, water purifying straw, malaria pills, etc...

I know many of you guys really need that stuff, and I wish you all happiness! I am only speaking for myself and where I am at in life. Getting a new bike (In the correct color, Intensity White) should be enough... I hope (wink).

They tell me my bike should be here in April, so hopefully that means I will have it by May/June (Humor). I have time to think and rethink my "needs". I will return with pictures then... in the meantime, attached is a picture from times when life was simpler.

Bob

m-c2.jpg

So true !!😃, I totally agree 👍. Despite all the fancy paintwork and various bits I have added to my bike I haven't lost sight of the fact that the T7 is perfectly fine in standard form and the the most important thing to me is actually riding the bike and enjoying it! But I have enjoyed those lockdown days prepping and fettling my bike, and tried to offset the cost by selling other unnecessary stuff. And made good use of the 'barter' system! Owning , riding,  fettling this bike is great 👍 Cheers,  Steve 

• Like 1

No wife so I don’t understand the dilemma.  The T7 is to a motorcyclist as a blank canvas is to an artist.  The possibilities are infinite!

It doesn't need very much, it's fine out of the factory. But some additions just make it better. I tend to ride a bike first in order to determine whether or not I really need accessories. But that also is a personal approach. My first addition was a chain oiler, which I think is something not many of forum members have installed, which to me confirms that "needs" in terms of bike additions tend to be a very personal matter (even though a general analysis on this forum tells you what you will probably "need").

I installed the necessities first.....GPS mount/wiring, heated grips, lowered foot pegs (I’m tall), and tank/tail bag on Tusk racks.  I later installed fork and shock springs to work for my weight, center stand, tall Rally seat, and Motopumps windshield adjuster.

I am pretty much done with about $1400.00 of accessories that set the bike up for me.

I will probably install a 1 tooth larger counter sprocket when the time comes for chain/sprocket replacement.

I picked my T7 up in June, picked up my wife's T7 in November even though I had put the deposit down for both of them at the same time. Mine has been here longer but my wife's has more additions than mine.

I have been married for 38 yrs. and consider myself blessed that my wife has always liked having a bike of her own.

These are our first Adventure bikes the rest have always been canyon carvers, but at 67, wisely decided the days of knee dragging are over, and our overnight trips will always involve motel/hotel stays.

The truth be know the only reason hers has more is she went with hard panniers I preferred soft and she needed to lower her bike and get the Seat Customs lower seat, other than that I think the mods have been duplicated on each bike. Don't ask what I have spent on mods because I don't know and really don't want to, it would take some of the fun out of a great bike.