Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Eastern Beaver PC 8 installation

jeff03064

For those of you who have installed the Eastern Beaver Power Center 8 (PC8), where did you mount it? I have a couple of ideas but not so sure they are the best options. Would like to see/hear what others are doing?

• Like 1

For those of you interested in mounting an Eastern Beaver Power Center 8 (PC8) to your Tenere 700 I figured out a pretty good spot for it. The PC8 is basically like an electrical sub-panel for your motorcycle so when you add a bunch of electrical things to your bike you would connect them to the PC8 instead of connecting directly to your battery. I currently only have my volt meter/charger hooked up to it. You can read more about them here.  Eastern Beaver PC8 for Tenere 700

Anyway, what I did was get a piece of 1.5"x1.5" angle aluminum from my local box store. Cut it to about 4" in length and then cut down one of the 1.5" sides down to 0.5". I then drilled and tapped 2 holes near the end of the aluminum on the short side I just cut. I then filed and smoothed out all rough edges. On the bike, under the seat, there is a lip of plastic that sticks up about 0.5". It's under the cross bar near the rear of the front seat. I then drilled 2 holes in that plastic that correspond with the holes in the aluminum. Then bolt through the plastic into your aluminum piece. Use some 3M dual lock to keep everything in place and you're good to go. It hasn't been field tested yet but it feels very secure, is easy to get to, has clearance from the bottom of the seat when installed and all the wires  tuck away neatly. (I did get the PC8 with the Tenere specific wiring.) Hope this helps someone.

20210322_122930.jpg

20210322_122939.jpg

20210322_123127.jpg

20210326_105540.jpg

20210323_111231.jpg

20210323_111335.jpg

20210324_070344.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

@jeff03064 Thank you for sharing the PC8 install idea.  I've been thinking about how I wanted to install this box and the Tenere specific wiring for awhile and your idea is an excellent solution! 

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, thanks for that! I am purchasing one as soon as I can and will use your idea to place the PC 8. I had one on my Honda AT and it was great.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help?

I have connected the PC 8 on my Tenere, but can only get the two permanent (live) ports to work. The rest don't work with ignition on or off - any suggestions?

Did you connect the PC8 to an accessory socket under the right or left front panel? (the ones that are used for factory heated grips and lights). 

Dave

I just installed the PC8 the other day and it worked perfect. Connect to the bikes aux light connected on right hand side.

see 

• 3 months later...

That T7 kit from EB is professionally built !  Anyways I have an alternative location, after locating my splitter cable for the relay up front I didn't have enough length to get the fusebox back where Jeff mounted his.  I still like that idea, even bought the L channel as you'll see!  Basically, I mounted it on top of the battery.  First thing I did was take that thin foam that you get when you buy a Lithium battery and really isolate the battery from vibration, which is never a bad thing anyways.  Then using the same 3M dual lock I put a strip on each side of the bottom of the box to clear the battery hold down strap and then stuck it in place.  Every time I replace a battery, of course, I'll have to put new strips down on the battery.  Anyways, everything hooked up so clean and easy, FOLLOW DIRECTIONS and leave the main fuses out.  That way you won't make any smoke !  I left all my wires as long as possible for now in case this doesn't work, it should eventually clean up nicely.  There's plenty of room under the rally seat to let that relay sit there though I'll put a little piece of dual lock down when I'm done.  

See the L !  I'm saving it....  This is just everything sitting there loose, it looks much neater but the pic ended up real blurry.

IMG_20211217_123616834_BURST001.thumb.jpg.506dedd9d5cdc78a3c824473ccfba897.jpg

Here's the front where I mounted the splitter, the cable going back on the bottom is part of the T7 relay harness.  The top right is the OEM cap on the other end of the splitter.  Maybe for lights later?

IMG_20211216_111208471.thumb.jpg.e19183f733acf709a5b8f3eef30b7755.jpg

This is looking from the right side of the bike, there is a nice SMOOTH route for all your wires on this side, forget the left side.

IMG_20211217_135901322.thumb.jpg.39948d15d57adc621a21f894b84f49bc.jpg

IMG_20211217_134514801.thumb.jpg.9a03f985c4dd9ae5eee5c67366016f15.jpg

Each circuit (unswitched and switched) has it's own main fuse. The unswitched circuit is good for 20A, so since I either have the battery tender on or the heated vest on the road, I stuck the vest with the charger cable.  The switched circuit, though built for 40A, should be run with a 30A main if possible since the relay is rated at 40A.  That was clarification from EB.  It's like your house, the individual circuits can add up to more than each main, just spread out the load as best possible. 

Rich

Edited by KTM2smoker
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Eastern Beaver PC8 Install question by electrical NOOB

I have the kit specific to the T7, where are the mates to the white and black square connectors located on the bike, under the right side panel?

I'm looking at mine right now. I haven't installed it, just getting familiar with it. I believe the white (unswitched) and black (switched using relay) square connectors are for the main fuses. They come with matching covers to be installed after the fuses are put in. All of that happens upon completion of your install. If you have a smaller white connector, it connects to the T7 harness.

LH Rev,  I believe you are correct.  Only the long wire with white connector goes forward to the right side panel, it performs the function of flipping the relay for the switched circuits.  The other two near the PC8 box are the main fuses. Take a moment and follow all these lines so you understand what you have and how it works. If you don't you'll never be able to troubleshoot it later.

Edited by KTM2smoker