Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear rack, phone mount and plastic fork guard screws

Seakan

Recently took delivery of my bike and here are a few parts and mods I've done.

Purchased a rear rack off of Ebay made from GP Kompozit it looked really, nice in my opinion, and it cost 140 Canadian pesos, which I thought was a good deal granted the product was good. I just installed it this evening and to be honest I'm really pleased with it the fit was nice and paint/powdercoat? looked good, only "complaint" was the fasteners were zinc plated not stainless but it should be fine.

Edit: The bars are steel and the top is aluminum also no instructions included buuut it's pretty straight forward

20210324_170440.thumb.jpg.8c4e9b7d007d55c68767633902e1eaa7.jpg20210324_170503_HDR.thumb.jpg.dd6071a15670b87edff88ea462d8e31c.jpg

For the phone mount I used a Ram mirror mount ball, which I had from my previous motorcycle. I removed the handlebar and drilled, tapped and countersunk a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the handlebar mount, then screwed a countersink bolt with some red locktight, then installed the ball mount with a nylock nut and washer then the rest of the phone mount. I think it turned out pretty sleek and out of the way.

20210324_170530_HDR.thumb.jpg.122b3dbb0678168440e4ee988b067ccf.jpg20210324_170611_HDR.thumb.jpg.e469193b982f3adeda08398d0f4fc8e7.jpg

Finally, for the plastic screws for the front fork guard, it's a pretty easy "mod" but I figured I'd share how I bought some for less than 3$. I went to my "local" specialty hardware store, which in my case, buy their stuff from Spaenaur and asked them to order some for me. So my tip is, go to a specialty hardware store and check who their suppliers are or ask them simply to order some, that's if they don't have any in stock. Btw for my fellow Canadians the part number from Spaenaur was 446-073

Edited by Seakan
  • Like 7

That does look like a really nice rack option!  Simple/straightforward like the SW Motech one, but with the curved support arms to form grab handles like I wish SW Motech had done.  It also looks like it gives you two different mounting positions for the plate as well.  

Not a fan of the X-Grip phone mounts though, uggh!  😂

14 minutes ago, Toei said:

Not a fan of the X-Grip phone mounts though, uggh!  😂

Yeah I don't like how it pushes on the volume/power buttons if I don't place it properly aaaand the fact that it rotates a few degrees when the phone is in. But hey it holds the phone really well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Seakan,

I think this rack can be a good alternative to the Adventure Spec one since they're unresponsive for too long.

I am curious whether you can mount the plate closer to the back seat to make the whole thing shorter?

Cheers,

Paulo A. Silva

I have a similar rack, I replaced all the bolts with stainless steel and put plastic bungs in (not shown in pic)

The top plate has two positions  I have it fitted close to the seat any closer and you would be difficult to remove the seat. 

GPrack.jpg

• Like 3

Hi @johnneyflyguy,

Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, johnneyflyguy said:

The top plate has two positions  I have it fitted close to the seat any closer and you would be difficult to remove the seat.

Do you have pictures of it mounted in such position? I would be OK cutting part of the plate to be able to remove the seat.

Other question, I can't find pictures of the mounting you have under the fairing. Can you share some pictures of how it is attached to the bike?

Cheers,
Paulo A. Silva

1 hour ago, PauloASilva said:

Hi @johnneyflyguy,

Thanks for sharing.

Do you have pictures of it mounted in such position? I would be OK cutting part of the plate to be able to remove the seat.

Other question, I can't find pictures of the mounting you have under the fairing. Can you share some pictures of how it is attached to the bike?

Cheers,
Paulo A. Silva

The photo shows the top plate in it's closest position to the seat, as can be seen by the fixing bolts. 

If you have the two separate seats it might be easier to remove without cutting.  

The under side fixing was a bit of a pain as it seemed to be to short, I had to use longer bolts M6 x 40 to resolve the issue.

GPrack2.jpg

Fixing.jpg

IMG_20210309_154302.jpg

• Like 1

Hey @johnneyflyguy ,

Thanks a bunch.

I though it would be possible to use the the other holes close to the plate border.

It is now clear to me how does it fit the bike. What about the pillion pegs: do they work OK or are they to low/far from the seat?

Cheers,

Paulo A. Silva

Edited by PauloASilva

30 minutes ago, PauloASilva said:

Hey @johnneyflyguy ,

Thanks a bunch.

I though it would be possible to use the the other holes close to the plate border.

It is now clear to me how does it fit the bike. What about the pillion pegs: do they work OK are they to low/far from the seat?

Cheers,

Paulo A. Silva

Hi Paulo,

I have taken off my pillion pegs, but I think as they are in the same position and the pillion passenger has the benefit of the grab rails on the rack there should be no problem.

Regards John. 

• Like 1

I see there's a new model of this rear rack available on Ebay. Any thoughts if the new design is worth the extra? I think the basic one doesn't have the secondary bottom mount and the mounting locations look a bit cleaner with respect to welds etc. Thoughts?820920133_ScreenShot2021-05-04at5_39_18PM.png.5d6b1b1816fbdde8a1651220516f8f5d.png

On 3/24/2021 at 6:56 PM, Seakan said:

Yeah I don't like how it pushes on the volume/power buttons if I don't place it properly aaaand the fact that it rotates a few degrees when the phone is in. But hey it holds the phone really well.

Just be cautious if you have an iPhone 10 or newer as the vibration from the bike will toast the camera lens. It happened to me on my 11 while mounted on a Quadlock on my Tracer 900 GT. Apple replaced it under warranty. And there's lots of complaint out there on the ifixit forum - even with the new vibration dampener QL came out with. Still does it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smurph said:

I see there's a new model of this rear rack available on Ebay. Any thoughts if the new design is worth the extra? I think the basic one doesn't have the secondary bottom mount and the mounting locations look a bit cleaner with respect to welds etc. Thoughts?820920133_ScreenShot2021-05-04at5_39_18PM.png.5d6b1b1816fbdde8a1651220516f8f5d.png

I payed £98 in the UK I did have a bit of a job fitting it, I don't think it is worth £399.89

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 10:08 AM, johnneyflyguy said:

I have a similar rack, I replaced all the bolts with stainless steel and put plastic bungs in (not shown in pic)

GPrack.jpg

What is your opinion on the steel/weld strength of this rack. Could you bend this rack easy? I'm not even referring to dropping it either. The cylinders that the bolts are inside of where it attaches to bike at the seat seem thin to me? I would be afraid of a passenger pulling on them over time and having them bend or crack at the mount. I like this rack but Ebay just makes me second guess its build quality. I wonder if it could take a fall and still be able to be reused?