Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Chain Maintenance

Toddler

Question

Please excuse my ignorance on chain maintenance but my T7 is the first bike I’ve owned in 40 years of riding that has a chain.

1) generally how often do you clean your chain?

2) what do you find works best to clean and lubricate your chain?

3) do you take chain cleaning/lubricate with you on a long trip?

4) is there anything that a rookie should watch out for?  

Thanks for your help.

Ouch,

Couldn’t ask a less loaded question like,”What is the best oil to use?”

I just spray an old rag with wd40, spin the back wheel backwards and apply it to the chain.

I expect a lot of feed back . Have at it.

The worst thing you can do is over tighten it.Follow Yamahas recommended. (I am an old track day guy and run mine looser. ...and no Never lost one.)

O ring chains do not need a lot of maintaince. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1) every time I clean the bike

2) to clean: WD 40, kerosene or chain cleaner then using a low pressure jet washer

2) to lubricate: chain spray suitable for o-ring chains, I like Putoline best but that's because I use it since decades

3) yes, but only chain lubricant no chain cleaner

4) keep correct tension number one on your list, too much slack is better than too much tension, cleaning isn't very important as long as you ride on road, as soon as you ride off road cleaning becomes more important as sand and grit will shorten chain life.

Cheers

Doc

• Like 2

Another point worth noting is that the standard chain isnt the best quality in the first place...it might say d.i.d on the chain but believe me its not their usual quality...I lube mine about every 400-500miles and i just use gear oil...parifin/kerrosine is best for cleaning 😉

Diesel to clean and if you’re cheap a light coat of gear oil or if you’re fancy use motorcycle specific stuff. 
Chains are cheap. If you get 15k with almost no maintenance vs 20k with anal maintenance it’s not worth worrying about. 

if you ride in mud and sand a lot no amount of maintenance will help 

it’s a wear item 

Edited by mpatch
  • Like 1

Just replaced a chain on another bike using DID. On the  box it clearly states on the  box "do Not use kerosene for cleaning"! They consider it too harsh chemical. 

In the past I have used kerosene to clean chains, in the good old days when chains weren't sealed then dropped into a can containing heated melted grease. Not sure if WD40 is suitable, it's a water dispersing chemical, some people swear that it degrades the  seals.

I wash my bikes with CT18 Super wash by Chemtech. After washing the bike completely I use a chain brush with the remaining wash water and clean up the chain. I use  chainsaw oil when the chain is dry. Gear oil is also great. 

Edit, check chain tension in more than one place. Rotate chain through it's complete distance as you will notice variations to the  tension. Too much is often a sign of a problem. 

16175777169384316395742842041997.jpg

Edited by Louis
Extra information

Funny, I cleaned rims and o-ring chains since the late 80's with WD40 or kerosene and never had an issue. Guess which chains I use. Yes, DID only. Heard about the stories that WD40 destroys rubber and plastic but it never happened to me and I first used it in 1982. I even cleaned rims and fairings with WD40 and never had a single problem. I clean my mountain bikes with it, no problem there too. I even made the o-ring soak test and dropped different o-rings in a glass with WD 40. After 4 weeks they came out like new. Maybe it is a certain rubber compound or certain plastics that will be destroyed. I have no clue. WD40 is FAA approved and used on passenger air crafts.

No I am not a WD40 representative 🙂

WD40 to Clean, WD40 for Lube.

• Like 1

Pain Heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts forever 

I have always cleaned them at the carwash with the wand and then TriFlow. Chain and sprockets last me for what seems like forever. I adjust a bit looser than the spec.

Doesn’t WD40 produce a lot of fling? 

I like Duponts system with a chain brush. Dupont degreaser and Dupont chain wax. Both very inexpensive. I will just use the chain wax under normal riding conditions. When things get ugly i use the chain brush, then degrease and finish with the chain wax. 

21E50A8D-18CA-44AE-8BC9-61F2CC848C5A.thumb.jpeg.4bf26e2381ceb914198802e5e3ee572b.jpeg

14C948C9-EA3A-44AD-AC00-2B2334DEF2C7.thumb.jpeg.911c8d57bf60c04682b388fda85f5a53.jpeg

1 hour ago, DT675 said:

Doesn’t WD40 produce a lot of fling? 

Yes, that is why I blow it off with compressed air before applying chain lube.

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Funny, I cleaned rims and o-ring chains since the late 80's with WD40 or kerosene and never had an issue. Guess which chains I use. Yes, DID only. Heard about the stories that WD40 destroys rubber and plastic but it never happened to me and I first used it in 1982. I even cleaned rims and fairings with WD40 and never had a single problem. I clean my mountain bikes with it, no problem there too. I even made the o-ring soak test and dropped different o-rings in a glass with WD 40. After 4 weeks they came out like new. Maybe it is a certain rubber compound or certain plastics that will be destroyed. I have no clue. WD40 is FAA approved and used on passenger air crafts.

No I am not a WD40 representative 🙂

I don't doubt you, I think some misinformation/ fake news is put out by manufacturers of chains so they can sell their expensive branded products for maintenance. You can buy a lot of kerosene for the price of DID branded chain cleaner.

WD40 is a solvent produced initially for water dispersing, I've personally find it a good cleaner. But expensive in comparison to kerosene. 

Branded lubricant and or cleaner for  chains make all  sorts of claims! Gear oils are way  cheaper  and can be applied more accurately with an old tooth brush.

Acetone is marketed as "nail polished remover " sold at a premium in small glass bottles to a predominant female consumer at beauty outlets. Try telling them that 😱 they don't want to use an industrial solution for their nails! Consumers find solace in using a product branded for a specific purpose. Venturing outside of these parameters feels risky, bloody marketers!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Louis said:

I don't doubt you, I think some misinformation/ fake news is put out by manufacturers of chains so they can sell their expensive branded products for maintenance. You can buy a lot of kerosene for the price of DID branded chain cleaner.

WD40 is a solvent produced initially for water dispersing, I've personally find it a good cleaner. But expensive in comparison to kerosene. 

Branded lubricant and or cleaner for  chains make all  sorts of claims! Gear oils are way  cheaper  and can be applied more accurately with an old tooth brush.

Acetone is marketed as "nail polished remover " sold at a premium in small glass bottles to a predominant female consumer at beauty outlets. Try telling them that 😱 they don't want to use an industrial solution for their nails! Consumers find solace in using a product branded for a specific purpose. Venturing outside of these parameters feels risky, bloody marketers!

A little off topic, I once had a root canal, after drilling the hole the applied a disinfectant that had a very destructive smell. It took me a minute before I realized it was acetone. My dentist just smiled and said “I wish this stuff is ten times the price!”

• Haha 1

I've been using Motul off road aresol, seems ok but it gets this really bad build up of thick black kinda like tar on the areas around the front sprocket, annoyingly hard to clean off, thinking I might go back to gear oils. I've always applied wd40 or the like to the chain after a wash, no issues as far I can see.

It's interesting to compare the T7 Owners Manual (OM) and the T7 Service Manual (SM).  To clean, both say to clean the chain with kerosene.  To lubricate, the SM says to use an O-ring safe engine oil.  The OM says DO NOT use engine oil because it can damage O-rings.  Sounds like the person that coordinates between the OM group and the SM group took a day off when they were discussing chain maintenance.

• Haha 1

1) generally how often do you clean your chain?

Every 300-500 kms. Sooner if I go off road.

2) what do you find works best to clean and lubricate your chain?

Cleaning = Ipone Chain Clean
Lube = Bel Ray Chain Lube (I like that it leaves a white mark and I know exactly when it/s time to lube it again)

3) do you take chain cleaning/lubricate with you on a long trip?

If I go over 500-600 kms, yes.

4) is there anything that a rookie should watch out for?  

Get a center stand, it makes life much easier. And don't over do it, basically you have to clean if very well, but when you lube the chain you have to only put it on the 2 o-rings, not all over the chain. Wipe off the excess, otherwise the chain lube will attract dirt.

Chainsaw oil. Every 150-200km while I'm riding. Using a small plastic bottle, some plastic tubing, a primer bulb an a hole in the chain guide.

It's mostly self-cleaning, but after a seriously muddy ride I just wipe off the dirt with a cloth.

• Like 1

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

Some of you have way too much time on your hands.
Chains are a wear item. Even with zero maintenance they more than likely will last 20k miles or more. 
Sand and mud eat chains same with bearings. 
Only reason to lube them is to prevent corrosion. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, mpatch said:

Some of you have way too much time on your hands.
Chains are a wear item. Even with zero maintenance they more than likely will last 20k miles or more. 
Sand and mud eat chains same with bearings. 
Only reason to lube them is to prevent corrosion. 

I am thinking about pressing the pins out, cleaning/lubing every part of the chain, and re-assembling....repeating every 300-500 miles👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, whisperquiet said:

I am thinking about pressing the pins out, cleaning/lubing every part of the chain, and re-assembling....repeating every 300-500 miles👍

It’s funny. Baring some weird things chains just don’t suddenly wear out or fail. Kinda like tires. They don’t just instantly go bald. 
You’ll get plenty of notice before they’re shot. Old school way is if you can pull it away from the rear sprocket it’s getting worn out.

I’m barely old enough to remember old school non sealed chains that you actually had to clean and soak in oil and adjust all the time. 

1 hour ago, mpatch said:

It’s funny. Baring some weird things chains just don’t suddenly wear out or fail. Kinda like tires. They don’t just instantly go bald. 
You’ll get plenty of notice before they’re shot. Old school way is if you can pull it away from the rear sprocket it’s getting worn out.

I’m barely old enough to remember old school non sealed chains that you actually had to clean and soak in oil and adjust all the time. 

I bought my first motorcycle 50 years ago this coming July 5......I remember short lived chains and the maintenance.

I picked up my T7 last year on July 28, rode it 600 miles/changed oil/filter, and rode it another 1200 miles out of Salida, CO, and did not clean or lube the chain until back home........and, the chain looks great at 8600 miles.  I run it loose, wipe off every once and while, and lube sparingly.

Edited by whisperquiet

Thank you everyone for giving me your feed back. I've learned a lot from you.

Here's something interesting, I stopped by a local motorcycle repair shop (they don't sell bikes just repair them). I asked what they suggest for chain cleaning and lubrication for a bike that is going to spend 75% on gravel logging roads.

He handed me a can of Motul cleaner and a can of Motul off road chain lube and said that was what they used and I should give it a try, compliments of the shop. Did I mention they are a great bunch of guys. 🙂

So I gave it a try, the minute I sprayed the cleaner I knew exactly what it was, it's brake fluid cleaner! Smells like it, evaporates like it, probably even tastes like it. It did a good job cleaning the chain. Putting the lube on was uneventful.

Not sure if this is what I'm going to continue with we'll see how it does over time. The idea of chainsaw oil sounds interesting too.

Next I have to figure out how to remove all the pin and regrease the inside of the links. 

Once again thanks for all your help.

Todd

• Like 1

Finish line citrus bicycle degreaser

The general quality of this bike degreaser also amazed me. Because it's made with natural fruit extracts, you'll be able to clean all of your bike's parts without the overbearing aroma that other bike degreasers have. It will thoroughly clean all of your bike parts because to its low surface tension, which allows it to penetrate all places.

• Like 1