Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tubeless tyres on the OEM Tube rim?

James
Go to solution Solved by Canzvt,

Could not find any posts on whether it's possible or even a bad idea to fit tubless tyres (with tubes) on our OEM tube rims.

So, does anyone have an opinion?

I was thinking of trying the tubless Avon Trekrider (which does not appear on this forum) as they would cost about £160 for a pair via National Bike Tyres

I've used Avon Trailriders on my ST 1200 and they were great.

Edited by James
Typo

• Solution

This has been beat to death elsewhere on this site. No problem fitting a tube inside tubeless tires on this bike. The factory Pirelli's are rated tubeless.

I've run 2 sets of the Trekrider on my Super Tenere (tubeless) and really like them. They are not any better than the Pirelli's in mud/sand, but I find them better on gravel, and long wearing on pavement. Wanted to run another set on my ST, but couldn't get any supply in Canada, so went with Mitas E-07's. You shouldn't have any issues with the Trekriders on your T7.

• Thanks 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

What do people think of sealing the stock wheels and running a tubeless setup?

Certainly a big plus for a puncture on the road.

Please have a search on this site. There is a massive amount of information and opinions regarding what you are asking for.

You can start here: 

Edited by Canzvt

I think I have Yamaha disease...

On 4/12/2021 at 4:08 AM, Canzvt said:

This has been beat to death elsewhere on this site. No problem fitting a tube inside tubeless tires on this bike. The factory Pirelli's are rated tubeless.

I've run 2 sets of the Trekrider on my Super Tenere (tubeless) and really like them. They are not any better than the Pirelli's in mud/sand, but I find them better on gravel, and long wearing on pavement. Wanted to run another set on my ST, but couldn't get any supply in Canada, so went with Mitas E-07's. You shouldn't have any issues with the Trekriders on your T7.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Instills great confidence 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up-a nail in the back tire today. Called a friend. He Brought a trailer. Considering the difficulty braking the bead on the stock  tire  once got it home ;am glad I didn’t have to fight with it on the side of the road. I own a bead breaker and have been doing my own tires for 30 years.

Ordered 5 yds of 3m 60mm wide 4412n . Might not do the front. It,should be easier to replace or patch a tube with its lack of bead retaining lip on the rim.

Friends are good. Good friends are priceless. 

• Like 4

Did the spokes Sunday, silicone  Yesterday, Tape and mounted tire today. So far. So good.

Turn an’ burn tomorrow if the air stays inside.

Update-   Got 40 miles on the tubeless set up. Works. I ground and smoothed up the spoke nipples. Roughed up the inside of the rim, and cleaned it with acetone  before taping.

YMMV

Edited by gone2seed