Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

(Un)Perfect Fairings

SpankyPineapple

After I broke a number of the mounting tabs on the rear ABS plastic fairing, I figured I'd try after market (only slightly cheaper than OEM) and ordered the fibre-glass piece from Perfect Fairings.  I'm by no means a composites expert, but here's what I got.  The exterior finish is okay I suppose, but the inside and mounting tabs etc. are a mess.  All sorts of voids in the resin, mounting holes missing, the holes that are there are misaligned, the thickness is completely wrong for all the metal trim clips, the tabs are the wrong size, the rear "hoop" was a solid piece, the holes where other plastic tabs meet up weren't cut out, just a lot of problems.  Took the better part of an afternoon/evening just cutting and sanding to make it useable.  Looks more like a first try/engineering sample than production quality.  I did reach out to them, so far nothing.  Anyone else have better luck with them, or any other composite manufacturers? 

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_005.jpeg

File_006.jpeg

• Like 2

That’s disappointing. I saw those and thought they might be a good alternative as well.  Was hoping they would be stronger.

Is the exterior finish good? Hard to tell from the pictures 

Mike

that is not "perfect" - that glass looks like my kid made it - while intoxicated.

Like everyone else, I'd like an alternative set of plastics,  but that ain't close.    I hope you didnt give them too many of your hard earned shceckels for it, and I hope you are corresponding with them about getitng a production quality replacement.

3 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

That’s disappointing. I saw those and thought they might be a good alternative as well.  Was hoping they would be stronger.

Is the exterior finish good? Hard to tell from the pictures 

Mike

It’s definitely much stiffer than the ABS one Yamaha has.  The exterior finish is okay, definitely not full gloss though, and the edges were definitely just straight up cut, no rounding or anything. Maybe this gives a better idea of surface finish.  Just after wipe down.

8742E26E-4809-42D0-8425-AF33781A9E4A.jpeg

6CB28DD9-8D0B-4881-BA02-AE1E45C5AA45.jpeg

Edited by SpankyPineapple
Added photos

5 minutes ago, cstatman said:

that is not "perfect" - that glass looks like my kid made it - while intoxicated.

Like everyone else, I'd like an alternative set of plastics,  but that ain't close.    I hope you didnt give them too many of your hard earned shceckels for it, and I hope you are corresponding with them about getitng a production quality replacement.

Yeah, I emailed them, nothing yet.  This was supposed to be a test run to see it shelling out for their carbon fibre pieces was going to be worth it.  Doesn’t look that way.  

I can't image them making any money on these even with their poor quality. The production process for FRP vs Injection moulding is SIGNIFICANTLY slower, and more labour intensive. Likewise mouldng in all the tabs is quite time consuming. There has to be a better alternative out there.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I wonder if it’s worth approaching Polisport to see if they would be interested in producing a plastics kit for the T7.

Might drop them an email and see what they say, maybe suggest a group buy if there’s a minimum order requirement.

• Like 2

Are those panels intended to go on as-is or to be painted first? 

Mike

5 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

Are those panels intended to go on as-is or to be painted first? 

Mike

I don't think its supposed to be painted. Perfect Fairings has it listed as gelcoated, direct replacement, available in multiple colours. To me that means a completed, ready to install part.

https://www.perfect-fairings.com/product/yamaha-tenere-700-t7-rear-fairing-tail-fiberglass/

I hope someone releases a set of dirt bike plastics, cheap and flexible. My fairings are all cracked and broken. Strips and gorilla tape keeping it all together..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpankyPineapple said:

I don't think its supposed to be painted. Perfect Fairings has it listed as gelcoated, direct replacement, available in multiple colours. To me that means a completed, ready to install part.

https://www.perfect-fairings.com/product/yamaha-tenere-700-t7-rear-fairing-tail-fiberglass/

If you even get to arguing over why they won't refund you, I would use this picture as proof that the product was not as described ( among the other points you made clear).

image.png.684b26c14865a6251a979f60f6e4bbd5.png

A Gelcoat is applied in the mold and is in it's finished state when product is removed from the mold minus very minor polishing of buffing.  It's the first part of the product inserted/sprayed into the mold. There is a paint drip that is indicating this was painted after the molding process.  That is NOT a gel coat.  Not to mention aside from the drip, it's a horrible Gelcoat finish.  We all know what Gelcoat should look like, any fiberglass boat has an outer Gelcoat.  It's glass smooth not rough.

You can repair a GelCoat by applying over previous fiberglass repair or apply it as a new coat over the finished fiberglass product.  

This is probably what was done but most people read Gelcoat associated with new fiberglass products to mean it was applied in the mold.

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldentaco said:

If you even get to arguing over why they won't refund you, I would use this picture as proof that the product was not as described ( among the other points you made clear).

image.png.684b26c14865a6251a979f60f6e4bbd5.png

A Gelcoat is applied in the mold and is in it's finished state when product is removed from the mold minus very minor polishing of buffing.  It's the first part of the product inserted/sprayed into the mold. There is a paint drip that is indicating this was painted after the molding process.  That is NOT a gel coat.  Not to mention aside from the drip, it's a horrible Gelcoat finish.  We all know what Gelcoat should look like, any fiberglass boat has an outer Gelcoat.  It's glass smooth not rough.

You can repair a GelCoat by applying over previous fiberglass repair or apply it as a new coat over the finished fiberglass product.  

This is probably what was done but most people read Gelcoat associated with new fiberglass products to mean it was applied in the mold.

J

Yeah you’re absolutely right.  The more I look at it the more it annoys me. Thanks for the comment!

again,  my 14 yr old, who has NEVER done any layup?  while in mid tequila bender? could do better

DEMAND your money back

@Alan M Polinisport or Acerbis...    YES!   who could investigate a group buy???  🙂🙂🙂

10 minutes ago, cstatman said:

again,  my 14 yr old, who has NEVER done any layup?  while in mid tequila bender? could do better

DEMAND your money back

@Alan M Polinisport or Acerbis...    YES!   who could investigate a group buy???  🙂🙂🙂

Sent Polisport an email, not sure if I’ll get much joy. Might be worth a few other members contacting them to show the interest in proper plastics.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, for what it’s worth the OP’s panels are pretty poor quality. I had a similar experience with fibreglass wings for a rally car a few years ago. Spent more time and money making them fit and finishing them than what they were worth. Some suppliers have no shame.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I got their one peice front fender. 
Took some force to get it to ligned up, contacted them over IG and got a quick reply that it was no worry. I forced it in place. 
looked fine on the inside, but the paint job isn’t the best, had a little dimple in one place. But way better than that rear fender. 

have a quick review and install video