Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Submarine?!? (Submerged bike recovery)

mattm

Question

I searched for this question but didn't find it posted anywhere, but please link if it is. 

I have NOT submerged mine, but I would like to know how best to recover it should the unthinkable happen. As far as I know, the airbox/filter, cylinders, exhaust, and crank case would all need some sort of attention. I can't seem to find anything in the manual about it. Specifically, I guess I'm wondering if it can be quickly recovered or if it will need 'shop-level' work (ie more than could be done creekside)? If it can be recovered creekside, what are the steps to best limit any permanent damage? 

Edited by mattm
Adding to title for clarity

5 answers to this question

A 225 pound one lunged dirt bike is one thing, a 450+ pig in a deep river/lake/bottomless pit.... By the time you get it out (hours or days), there is no quick easy fix. I say put it in neutral and take it home to figure it out.

Best advice is not to do something dumb with it.

Next best advice is to walk it thru something questionable

Lastly, hit the kill switch before it sucks up water.

• Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

I agree and definitely don't plan to. What sticks in my head though, is watching Charlie dewater one of their beemers on Long Way Round. I think those were air cooled, but they were still big bikes. Absent good evidence a T7 can be recovered creekside, I won't even try. But if there's an easy way that doesn't lead to damage, it be might prove useful. 

One challenge creekside would be to remove the plugs to get water out of the cylinders if you really drowned it. Taking the plugs out is not a quick n dirty job on the T7. I guess it partly depends on how much time you've got, what tools you have with you, and how far and/or difficult it would be to tow it to a shop or home.

I thought to myself as I changed the plugs this winter that this was something I could, but would never want to, do in the field!! I like @Hibobb's advice better.

• Like 3

Long as you don't hyrolock the engine and bend or break a rod reviving a drowned bike isn't that hard. 

1. Either take off muffler or stand bike on end to get water out of the exhaust.

2. Pull air filter and dry the best you can.

3. Pull the spark plugs and crank the engine a bit to get water out of the cylinders. 

4. Drain oil, put new oil in, run for a bit and repeat until the oil is no longer milky.  

5. Depending on how bad you drowned it you might have to drain the gas tank also.  

• Like 3

Doable, yes, but It would be a colossally huge pain in the ass.   The old dirt bike rules still apply, but would be a nightmare to do.  You gotta get your 500+lb beast lifted (which will suck in water, especially flowing, cold water with soft or rocky bottoms), and then pushed out to the shore.  If you want to lift it up to drain the exhaust, you'll need probably 3 or more guys to do that.  The exhaust doooes have a little drain hole for condensation and rail, but still.  The air filter is easy enough.  The spark plugs are a pain (compared to a dirt bike) so you'll likely need the tools to it, and if you've never done it at home, likely the yamaha service manual to walk through it.  I've had leaks from my gas cap on tip overs, so you'll likely have water in the gas.  If your cylinders got filled up, you'll need to change oil. I don't know many people with modern bikes who are carrying the 2.5 litres you'll need for the T7.  Your electrical.. well who knows, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's not fine.  Is your phone and gps going to survive? Its doable for sure if you have the supplies, tools and help to get it done.  At the end of the day though, as capable as this machine is, it's still not a dirty little 250. I'd be very, very careful running it through deep or fast flowing water.  Worth doing a walk through, fingering your line before you commit.  And bring buddies.  

Edited by SpankyPineapple
spelling
  • Like 4