Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Givi crash bars not compatible with aftermarket headers

JohnnieBoy

This may be a bit redundant as I already posted a reply in the "crash bar" thread but figured I would start a new thread of my own to make sure everyone is aware...

I finally decided on the Givi crashbars for my T7. Seeing how the cross bar on these particular crash bars threads inside the header pipe area, I ordered with a little bit of baited breath, as I have Leo Vince headers installed. I figured/hoped that Givi took into account that more than a few would choose this route and accommodated by leaving enough clearance between even aftermarket header pipes as well as stock. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The final step of install, which calls for cross bar mounting and all hardware tightening, put the cross bar firmly mounted/pressed up against the header pipes - which is obviously no bueno. 

I have reached out to Givi USA in their email form (since I could not locate a phone number for them) and wrote a detailed description. I also asked if they were aware and have addressed or are planning to address the problem. Lets see what I get back from Givi. I would like to keep these bars, hopefully they step up and fab a new bar? Is that too much to ask? 

Edit: I will update with any new info I receive.

Edited by JohnnieBoy

• JohnnieBoy changed the title to Givi crash bars not compatible with aftermarket headers

I had the same happen with SW Motech bars and the Dominator headers...   I could’ve modified/fabricated a solution but opted for Touratech lower bars which do not have a cross brace.

At this stage a lot of us are just the guinea pigs for what fits with what and what doesn’t!  With so many combinations of different parts I don’t think any manufacturer can factor in all variations not to mention any running changes to the bike itself. 

Edited by Burner

2 hours ago, Burner said:

I had the same happen with SW Motech bars and the Dominator headers...   I could’ve modified/fabricated a solution but opted for Touratech lower bars which do not have a cross brace.

At this stage a lot of us are just the guinea pigs for what fits with what and what doesn’t!  With so many combinations of different parts I don’t think any manufacturer can factor in all variations not to mention any running changes to the bike itself. 

Yeah, I agree about being the guinea pigs... but Givi's cross bar is a little bit different/unique in that it threads inside the header pipe area. One would think that they would have taken into account aftermarket header clearance may be a bit less than stock and at least have a bit more tolerance for that? What do I know?

I wanted to use a press and flatten the bar a bit in the two spots where it came into contact with the pipes but the left pipe sits right in the left offset, so couldn't even do that. 

Edited by JohnnieBoy

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd post an update as I mentioned the issue in another thread and it reminded me...

So I wrote to Givi on the same day as the op of this thread, May 12th. It only took 10 days to get a response, which is pretty quick as most would agree. Anyway, the rep basically said NOPE, we don't deviate from stock. Fair enough, I guess. So either remove the Givi bars and go after something else or make these work. Welp, I really like the minimalist small footprint of these bars and also the way they are mounted so I decided to make them work. I went to my buddy Joe's shop, he actually makes really nice motorcycle haulers (one of which I have), called Joe Hauler. We put our heads together and came up with a more simple solution than the 'offset inside of the header' crossbar that Givi provided with the kit. Just straight across with flat ends, obviously, and a slight relief bend in the middle. The flat end flanges had to be offset to the bend a little and that was the trickiest part. Pretty straightforward, with the right tools... which joe has. 

Boom, straight across crossbar, installed. Painted even!

20210715_164929.jpg

20210715_164633.jpg

20210715_164649.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm about to embark on this soon and was wondering if he had a jig and can replicate it.

Please let me know...

Kind regards,

- Paul