Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Anyone “not” running front crash bars?

MoPops

Just curious, as I dumped it in a slick creek crossing yesterday.  Landed on the rear luggage rack (which I bought for exhaust protection) and the bark buster hand guard.  
I think I may still go with a plastic skid plate and maybe engine covers, but I’m wondering if I need to add any more weight as in front crash bars.  
Pic looks sideways in preview.  Hope it rights itself.  

B870ED97-70D5-41DD-8408-C271137B8440.jpeg

• Sad 1

Lowers and skid plate only for me. No issues so far and she’s been down plenty. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

Not going to comment as that might jinx me....

( but if I was to comment, I run Tusk luggage racks,  HDB handguards and a Camel Gut Guard,  hope that's enough as I don't want the extra weight)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks for the replies. I’m almost 67, and it was difficult enough to pick it up yesterday.  I’d like to keep weight as low as possible.   

• Moderators

@MoPops.  Just in case you haven't seen it, this thread might interest you. 

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1877-lifting-my-dropped-bike/#comments

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

12 hours ago, AZJW said:

@MoPops.  Just in case you haven't seen it, this thread might interest you. 

https://www.tenere700.net/topic/1877-lifting-my-dropped-bike/#comments

Thanks AZJW, I have been through that thread before.  I’m not there yet, but it may be in my future.  I am really hoping that with increased off road (gravel road) riding my skills will come back, along with a little upper body conditioning.   Plus that slimy crap I was in would probably made any jack almost dangerous to use.   
thanks again.. 

I'm in the same boat. Dropped my bike twice while waiting for my crash bars to arrive and not so much as a scratch on the plastics. Now I'm considering cancelling the order.

• Like 1

Ditto.  I'm running the plastic AXP skid plate and plastic case covers.  I've dropped it a couple times out in in the mountains.  I've got front crash bars and bark busters but won't be installing either.

• Like 1

This is good news.  I just run gravel roads around here in Missouri, but I do hope to get back out to Colorado.   I’ve run Tin Cup on my GSA. I’m hoping it’ll be easier on the T7.  I’m just not seeing many instances where I’ll need front crash guards.  
I did find a pretty good scrape on the bark busters, to go with the one on the rear luggage rack.  But that’s what they are for.  
I’m just not finding any of the plastic bash plates available.   

Edited by MoPops

I just installed the small and light Givi crash bars on my T7. They should provide a little extra protection, but I think their best purpose is going to be for hanging a couple Givi Crash bar bags (T513) that I just received (very nice!). I dumped my bike a couple times last year without crash bars and the only "damage" I got was a few nicks on the engine case cover. So I'll also being buying some plastic case covers. So for me no heavy crash bars, no center stand and no heavy rear rack.

• Like 1

The main reason I added the rear rack was to protect the exhaust.  It was a lot less expensive to buy the rear rack than move the exhaust.   Plus I do have a set of soft bags (Magadan) that I hope to use for a long trip.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 1:03 PM, Idarex said:

Ditto.  I'm running the plastic AXP skid plate and plastic case covers.  I've dropped it a couple times out in in the mountains.  I've got front crash bars and bark busters but won't be installing either.

Idarex, mind sharing which case covers you have?   Any issues?    
thanks

4 hours ago, MoPops said:

Idarex, mind sharing which case covers you have?   Any issues?    
thanks

I’m using the R&G.  No issues.  The extended piece on the AXP bash plate touches the case cover over the water pump.  I haven’t decided if I’m going to trim the AXP.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Idarex said:

I’m using the R&G.  No issues.  The extended piece on the AXP bash plate touches the case cover over the water pump.  I haven’t decided if I’m going to trim the AXP.

Thanks.  My AXP was touching the bottom clamp on the water pump.  The video showed putting a strip of something over that contact area.  I stuck a couple of Velcro patches right where it was touching.   I’m still on the fence about ordering the case savers. I probably will, as I’m not ordering any front crash guards.