Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lifting my dropped bike.

Allen Kelly

• Moderators

Nice work. I did the same thing, but used an old set of crutches I had lying around and hopefully won't be needed again. 😉 It all fits in a tank or tailbag, which is easily strapped on the bike for solo dirt trips.  The black velcro strap is for the front brake lever, so the lifting operation doesn't become a moving operation.

20200715_145813.jpg

20200715_151344.jpg

BTW, the MotoBikeJack website appears to be up and running for ordering.

jack-label.jpg?1512322681

Motorcycle lifting hoist

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Nice work, Gents

I am fast approaching 60 and despite years of experience I still drop the bike. I, too, travel solo. I use the technique of turning the handlebars under and lifting the bike by walking backwards.

• Like 4

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Some excellent work there, I'm nearly 62 and only have one good leg so I may be copying your ideas before too long 😆

• Like 3

On 8/28/2020 at 8:56 AM, CAJW said:

Nice work. I did the same thing, but used an old set of crutches I had lying around and hopefully won't be needed again. 😉 It all fits in a tank or tailbag, which is easily strapped on the bike for solo dirt trips.  The black velcro strap is for the front brake lever, so the lifting operation doesn't become a moving operation.

20200715_145813.jpg

20200715_151344.jpg

BTW, the MotoBikeJack website appears to be up and running for ordering.

jack-label.jpg?1512322681

Motorcycle lifting hoist

Hey CAJW.

I am curious about your lifter and its strength; I’m not being a smart arse just interested in what weight it will lift. Being made from aluminium it would be a lot lighter than mine which is made of steel. Have you tested it to lift your bike yet and how did it go also where do you hook it to on your bike. These are things that get my mind turning over and I am always looking to find out how things work and if I can apply them to my circumstances. It looks really neat. Cheers mate, Allen   

• Like 2

On 8/28/2020 at 10:40 AM, Rider 101 said:

Nice work, Gents

I am fast approaching 60 and despite years of experience I still drop the bike. I, too, travel solo. I use the technique of turning the handlebars under and lifting the bike by walking backwards.

It is amazing what an extra 10 years will do to you. Physically At 60 I still felt unstoppable but would be deluding myself if I thought the same now.🤣😂

• Like 1

My ambitions now outstrip my abilities!

I have a couple of old crutches ( from past injuries ) in the garage and I think when time permits a lift jack might be constructed. Could be handy for a week's solo trip soon.

• Haha 1

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

14 minutes ago, Allen Kelly said:

It is amazing what an extra 10 years will do to you. Physically At 60 I still felt unstoppable but would be deluding myself if I thought the same now.🤣😂

But.... you are still riding and enjoy the adventure 😉.  Respect!

The problem is that when you drop your bike it mostly happens after a long day riding under hard conditions.  You tip it when you become tired...  and then there is no energy left to lift it. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dipstick said:

Hi Guys,

Please have a look at this link.  Also a smart and compact solution.

CaptureHome4-min.jpg

Eastbound - MW Functionality

That is a really neat piece of kit but to get it to Australia I am looking in excess of $400:00 where as the one I made cost me Less than $50:00 and a couple hours of work. It is a bit bulkier but not overly so. I like the engineering of it though.  😃

3 minutes ago, Allen Kelly said:

That is a really neat piece of kit but to get it to Australia I am looking in excess of $400:00 where as the one I made cost me Less than $50:00 and a couple hours of work. It is a bit bulkier but not overly so. I like the engineering of it though.  😃

Yeah it's always those nasty taxes and freight charges that spoil the fun 😒

• Like 1

• Moderators

@Allen KellyFull disclosure,  I tested my lift on a 275 lb bike, but need more length in the ratchet strap to get the bike closer to vertical. {If you have a make/part# for the ratchet you used,  much obliged}. I'm sourcing that upgrade and will test it again on the T7, when I have a strong spotter available ;). For attachment I used a soft loop around the frame near the footpeg and hooked the ratchet hook into that.  My design is copied from one I'd seen that IIRC the guy had lifted a KLR with the aluminum crutch leg. As they say, ymmv.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

4 hours ago, CAJW said:

@Allen KellyFull disclosure,  I tested my lift on a 275 lb bike, but need more length in the ratchet strap to get the bike closer to vertical. {If you have a make/part# for the ratchet you used,  much obliged}. I'm sourcing that upgrade and will test it again on the T7, when I have a strong spotter available ;). For attachment I used a soft loop around the frame near the footpeg and hooked the ratchet hook into that.  My design is copied from one I'd seen that IIRC the guy had lifted a KLR with the aluminum crutch leg. As they say, ymmv.

When I built my first lifter I made the mistake of a lighter weight ratchet and it was almost impossible to work it against the T7 the one I am using now is load rated at 2500 it is designed for heavy vehicle tie downs it came with an exorbitantly long webbing that had to be cut down but works well. If I was advising anyone on building one I would say the 2500 ratio should be minimum the higher the load rating the easier it is going to work. The frame where you use is the same as where I hook up to. I tried a few other locations but that spot is central to the bike and the bike lifts easier from there rather than any other location. I will be interested to see how yours develops. Cheers mate.

• Like 2

I just purchased the Eastbound after tearing my bicep tendon in my right arm lifting the T7.

Edited by Limey
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/28/2020 at 8:38 AM, Allen Kelly said:

A short while ago I had the misfortune of dropping my bike on a lonely bush track in an area where I knew there would be no help to be had and therefore the task of lifting the bike was all up to me and me alone. If it had of been 20 odd years ago this would have not been a problem but now at 70 I have to admit I struggled a lot with it but I eventually got it up on its feet although my feet were ready to give out. I looked at the MotoBikeJack from the States which was going to cost over $300 plus postage I estimated combined price would be over $400Au, but the price became academic as they are no longer available. So long story short I decided to make my own. The first one I made was a bit flimsy but the idea was heading in the right direction. The second which was constructed a lot stronger worked well but needed a bit of finessing for it to be portable.

2nd attempt.

.IMG_1525.thumb.jpg.840476a93a5d471031303355beda17e3.jpg

Version three is now complete it has a maximum length of 320mm weight is just under 3kg. My reason for posting this is to show that for us older riders this removes the lifting problem and if anyone is interested in making their own I can give you a step by step program on how to make your own. All you need is minimal welding skills and a bit of time.

3rd effort.  

IMG_1527.thumb.jpg.283768d89b37d5bf5fdb962c13bd6265.jpg

I no longer worry about heading out on my own again as now I am confident that if I drop the bugger I can get it back up with minimal effort.

Cheers all. Allen 

Nice job Allen,  I am 60 this year and have only had to pick mine up once so far.  Fell over in the front yard off the stand.  Had to get the missus to help pick it up.  Bit embarrassed about that. I think I need to practice some lifting techniques.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DazR said:

Nice job Allen,  I am 60 this year and have only had to pick mine up once so far.  Fell over in the front yard off the stand.  Had to get the missus to help pick it up.  Bit embarrassed about that. I think I need to practice some lifting techniques.

Nice job what size strap did you use?

2 hours ago, DazR said:

I would like to know more about how you made this and how you employ it.  Thanks.

On 8/30/2020 at 7:36 AM, Allen Kelly said:

When I built my first lifter I made the mistake of a lighter weight ratchet and it was almost impossible to work it against the T7 the one I am using now is load rated at 2500 it is designed for heavy vehicle tie downs it came with an exorbitantly long webbing that had to be cut down but works well. If I was advising anyone on building one I would say the 2500 ratio should be minimum the higher the load rating the easier it is going to work. The frame where you use is the same as where I hook up to. I tried a few other locations but that spot is central to the bike and the bike lifts easier from there rather than any other location. I will be interested to see how yours develops. Cheers mate.

What material did you use for the pole Allen, I'm trying to source aluminium tube, not easily accessed.

16 hours ago, Stevoh said:

What material did you use for the pole Allen, I'm trying to source aluminium tube, not easily accessed.

If you are going to use aluminium use industrial grade it has a stronger wall construction and would be less likely to collapse under strain. I was going to use that and down the track will probably make another one out of it but when I made these first ones the aluminium I wanted to make them out of was too hard to get hold of. I waited two and a half months for my supplier to get it in all to no avail. So I had to make it out of steel tubing. The most important thing is the ratchet. The higher the weight ratio you use the easier it will be to use (minimum of 2500 load rating.)   

On 1/28/2021 at 9:37 PM, Darrenheli said:

Nice job what size strap did you use?

The most important thing is the ratchet. The higher the weight ratio you use the easier it will be to use (minimum of 2500 load rating.)   

18 minutes ago, Allen Kelly said:

The most important thing is the ratchet. The higher the weight ratio you use the easier it will be to use (minimum of 2500 load rating.)   

That makes sense. I did think of using a lighter one with a narrower strap and extend the handle if the would work

8 minutes ago, Darrenheli said:

That makes sense. I did think of using a lighter one with a narrower strap and extend the handle if the would work

I tried the narrower lighter strap on the first one I made and it was such a struggle to operate 2 of us struggled with it going up to the 2500 load rated made the task so much easier. The big concern with the lighter strap was would it take the strain of the bike weight at that pivotal moment.   

On 1/28/2021 at 10:58 PM, Landshark said:

I would like to know more about how you made this and how you employ it.  Thanks.

The making was fairly simple minimum requirements are basic welding skills and patience. I used what they call here scaffold grade tube for strength. (May have been over kill) I used 2 sizes of tube the main outer tube is 27mm with an inner diameter of 21.4mm (wall thickness is 3mm) the other is 21mm this is slipped inside of one end of the main tube and welded into place. When completed this becomes the part that slips inside the opposing end giving the length you need to lift the bike at the same time making it compact enough to carry on the bike. When you have the length right the top end where you are going to attach the ratchet needs to be heated (I just a used a butane gas burner) heat it until it is glowing then flatten about 12cm to attach the ratchet to.

• Like 1