Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Lifting my dropped bike.

Allen Kelly

22 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Got it.  I'll be making one up soon.  Seems simple enough.  Thanks @Allen Kelly  

I'll send you som photos shortly hopefully they will make it even clearer for you especially how vI set up the ratchet to join to the pole. Cheers Allen

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Got it.  I'll be making one up soon.  Seems simple enough.  Thanks @Allen Kelly  

Here are the photos everything is reasonably simple until you get to joining the ratchet. This is how I done mine. Firstly I flattened the top 12cm or there about it. When it was cool enough drill the hole for the bolt to go into the cross bar above the main bolt. Next remove the main bolt at the lower end of the ratchet assembly cut a short piece of pipe to fit over that bolt make it a neat fit between the 2 side brackets. File of any burrs within the pipe so they don’t damage the bolt then reassemble the bolt with the pipe sleave on it. That sleave should be against the flattened part of the pipe you secured to the cross member. Tack weld that into place once done remove again and complete the welding. That’s about it except for a coat of paint if you want to go that far. Cheers Allen   

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2502.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Darrenheli said:

That makes sense. I did think of using a lighter one with a narrower strap and extend the handle if the would work

I would also advise against a smaller motorcycle tie down type ratchet. Follow Allen Kelly's advice and use a more heavy duty ratchet. My smaller unit was a real chore to use, just not enough leverage.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Made a similar device and used the bigger ratchet (as the smaller ones don't give enough leverage) with the smaller ratchet strap with a loop in it's end enabling tying it to the bar end with the handguard or any other point

On 8/31/2020 at 8:05 PM, Limey said:

I just purchased the Eastbound after tearing my bicep tendon in my right arm lifting the T7.

@Limey Sorry to hear about your injury.  Can you post a review of the product once you've had a chance to use a few times.  Cheers

Edited by Yammybound88
added username

• 2 weeks later...

Granted the slippery ground may hamper this approach. I know guys that use it.

• Like 1

I could put my butt in the seat on my super Tenere and pick it up, but on the t7 I could not as it laid too flat when I dropped it off road. Wearing tall boots and knee. Races might not have helped.  The seat was literally on the ground, I could not have my butt on the seat and still have my feet down under me so I could lift the bike. Probably also a function of being a little over 6 foot tall and a little heavier than I want to be.

with crash bars and luggage this might be easier. I’ll also say you need to put the bike in gear, and sometime hold the front brake or tie off the front brake lever to stop the bike from rolling on you. 

overall, is as easy/hard to pick up as my s10. Lighter but falls flatter.

Mike

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Nomad Sweden took an unfortunate spill.  This video is a perfect case for storing a jack mechanism in your TANK BAG.

1:31 

Winch.png

• Like 1

I said this over on Advrider too, but I think it’s a good case for crash bars.  When I went down on my s10, the crash bars and rear racks kept the bike off me, saving me from being pinned, or dragged with the bike. 

he says in the video he is against crash bars but I think they might have kept home from being stuck under the bike. Other wise yes if you get pinned then what’s your plan if you are alone?

another thing I got good at on my s10 was getting off the bike when it went down. I would always step or jump off the bike as it was heading to the ground as there was. It way I was stopping g it 😀 I got pretty good at it, lots of practice!

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Earlier in Allen's thread I'd posted my version of a lift using an aluminum crutch and  motorcycle tie down ratchet.  It works for a lightweight bike (sub 250 lbs), but wasn't going to work with the T7.  After trying some different ideas, in between moving to another state, I decided to let someone else do the trial and error R & D.  Now I don't have shop facilities to work on new ideas so, wanting to be able to ride solo,  I got a Dirt Napper lift. 

This gentleman has made multiple versions, perfecting it to the current version,  which looks like a winner.   Quality build, lots of attention to detail and although I haven't had a chance to test it, I have every confidence it'll do the job.  Just another option that I thought I'd toss out there. 

IMG_3568.jpg

!-- We are currently currently taking orders for our next batch. You will not be charged until your Dirt Napper is ready to ship. Thank you for your patience. The Dirt Napper Adventure Bike Rescue Self-Rescue Jack is the one tool every...

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

Earlier in Allen's thread I'd posted my version of a lift using an aluminum crutch and  motorcycle tie down ratchet.  It works for a lightweight bike (sub 250 lbs), but wasn't going to work with the T7.  After trying some different ideas, in between moving to another state, I decided to let someone else do the trial and error R & D.  Now I don't have shop facilities to work on new ideas so, wanting to be able to ride solo,  I got a Dirt Napper lift. 

This gentleman has made multiple versions, perfecting it to the current version,  which looks like a winner.   Quality build, lots of attention to detail and although I haven't had a chance to test it, I have every confidence it'll do the job.  Just another option that I thought I'd toss out there. 

IMG_3568.jpg

!-- We are currently currently taking orders for our next batch. You will not be charged until your Dirt Napper is ready to ship. Thank you for your patience. The Dirt Napper Adventure Bike Rescue Self-Rescue Jack is the one tool every...

I have been attempting to make contact with Keith about those lifters he was making but have seen some statements on YouTube that are claiming he has gone out of business. One of my mates and I would like to get a hold of one of them simply because of the compact nature and the low weight ratio compared to the ones I have made out of steel. The video on YouTube is dated October 2018 it would be a shame if they are not being manufactured anymore as I think it looks the best less complicated I have seen so far.

I am a lousy welder. Ordered the motobike jack after a full lock stall and drop in the parking lot. Packed gravel and the bike just kept slip’n sideways before I could get the back wheel on the ground. The 1200 gsa is easier to pick up!
  Interuped a local painters lunch and the 2 of us had no problem.

Don’t like carrying around the extra weight but don’t always ride with others. Yes it was in gear and the front brake was strapped.

Almost always start out in 2nd gear but from now on full lock turns will be in 1st. 🤔

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Allen Kelly said:

I have been attempting to make contact with Keith about those lifters he was making but have seen some statements on YouTube that are claiming he has gone out of business. One of my mates and I would like to get a hold of one of them simply because of the compact nature and the low weight ratio compared to the ones I have made out of steel. The video on YouTube is dated October 2018 it would be a shame if they are not being manufactured anymore as I think it looks the best less complicated I have seen so far.

@Allen Kelly

Yes, they're still in business as I just received mine, but they are currently back ordered awaiting some parts.  There's an entire thread dedicated to their product on ADV that one of the company's principles keeps updated regularly.  Great folks to deal with and their projected delivery times are accurate,  at least for me. 

adv_og_logo.png

About nine years ago I had time to think as I lay pinned under my Husaberg FE570. My boot had gotten stuck when the bike fell over - wheels up. Even...

8 hours ago, AZJW said:

@Allen Kelly

Yes, they're still in business as I just received mine, but they are currently back ordered awaiting some parts.  There's an entire thread dedicated to their product on ADV that one of the company's principles keeps updated regularly.  Great folks to deal with and their projected delivery times are accurate,  at least for me. 

adv_og_logo.png

About nine years ago I had time to think as I lay pinned under my Husaberg FE570. My boot had gotten stuck when the bike fell over - wheels up. Even...

I have been attempting to contact them via their Contact section on their web site about posting to Australia but as yet no reply. The order section of the web site is only for USA. When I attempted to put in my Australian address it rejected my application. It’s a shame as I have 2 definite orders and a couple more waiting to see if we get them. I would have liked the idea of less weight to carry when solo riding. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

• Moderators

@Allen Kelly, I just sent them a message and linked your post, so hopefully he'll be in touch here or if I hear back, I'll let you know.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@Allen Kelly, I just sent them a message and linked your post, so hopefully he'll be in touch here or if I hear back, I'll let you know.

Very much appreciated. Thanks for the effort, Allen

On 5/14/2021 at 7:35 AM, AZJW said:

I got an email from Eric at eric@keithproducts.us unfortunately they are not selling to the international market as yet. Here is the gist of what he had to say. (I do not currently ship internationally, but I am trying to scale up in order to do so.  I build everything myself, and am not be able to meet the demand of the international market (yet).  I will try to keep you posted on any updates.  In the meantime, please feel free to reach out with any other questions.) I do like the idea of the smaller ratchet with the extended handle it looks easy to work and would be a weight reduction from the larger one that I have currently employed. If I can get some detailed photos of that part of the lifter I might try it out. Cheers Allen

• Moderators

@Allen Kelly Hopefully these will help? 

20210520_072724.jpg

20210520_072815.jpg

20210520_072829.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AZJW said:

@Allen Kelly Hopefully these will help? 

20210520_072724.jpg

20210520_072815.jpg

20210520_072829.jpg

Thank you very much for those images. I won’t be stealing his design but they give me a clearer idea as to how to go about reducing weight in what I have already made. Going to talk to my aluminium retailer today to see what they have in stock for my remodelled design. I will keep you posted. Thanks again. Allen

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After communicating with Eric at keithproducts.us and learning they don’t export I decided to redesign my steel lifter with the same industrial grade aluminium only I went with the round tube instead of the square. I made up a smaller ratchet head with a handle but was not happy with its durability and the weight with all the extra bits added to it lifted the weight almost to the same as the commercially purchased one I ended up using. I used 25mm tubing with a 3mm wall for the posts and then used 20mm rod machined down to 19mm for one end and 18.5mm at the other end. The 19mm end slots into the top of each tube section and is locked in, the 18.5 end then becomes the end where all the tubes are joined to make one upright piece.  I have made this unit without the need for any welding. (I can weld steel but not aluminium.) It took a couple of lazy days to think about and construct but it is all good. I will be taking the bike out and testing it within the next couple of days. I am very confident in the integrity of its strength to be able to do the job that hopefully I will never need it to perform. (The weight difference is steel lifter is 2.47kg and the aluminium lifter is 1.87kg. Without the base and strap)  

I have not yet made up a new base and there will also be a bit of finessing once the trial is complete.

IMG_3143.1.thumb.jpg.92a37467f3bf7bb9f2a3bd888bc829f7.jpgIMG_3144.1.thumb.jpg.9fa0a146a3523d4f87800ef12549bd1e.jpgIMG_3145.1.thumb.jpg.815d98370f5370594c51761f22222a94.jpgIMG_3148.1.thumb.jpg.9ef05c8a403bb60982a69c799d56ea91.jpgIMG_3157.1.thumb.jpg.0b5a62cca638a71b1e463a7b6453c714.jpgIMG_3158.1.thumb.jpg.050660c0176cc1d7afd1e4b5249780d1.jpgIMG_3160.1.thumb.jpg.addadd65ec0001078368386d99c0820c.jpgIMG_3161.1.thumb.jpg.6b588b41b37005fc12973914bc4115fe.jpgIMG_3162.1.thumb.jpg.69d5c7169d3f0acbf1cc4e5427caa2f7.jpgIMG_3142.1.thumb.jpg.0786357b99c8e817284d5da825ce28a1.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

BIKE LIFTER (final version)     

This bike lifter is version no 6, I am now satisfied that it is now the final version. The lifter before this one worked very well and is extremely strong made from scaffold grade steel tubing its weight is .248 kg but being the type of person I am I wanted to improve it. I experimented with aluminium tubing and this is what I have come up with. I used 25mm diameter tube with a wall thickness of 3mm. To join the pieces together for the stem I used 20mm solid aluminium rod machined down to just shy of 19mm for it to slide into the tube. The base plate is also aluminium 6mm thick so as not to distort once the weight of the bike is applied to the lifter. The only steel component it the ratchet. I have experimented with lighter weight ratchets and found that they just are not robust enough for our bikes. The one I finally decided on is a 2,000kg load strain and of all the others that I tried this one has a great handle to grasp and because of the load strain lifts the bike a lot easier than lower rated ratchets. The weight of this lifter finished is just .187 kg. The steel unit I made required a considerable amount of welding where as this aluminium version was made with no welding at all.

IMG_1.3231.jpg

IMG_4.3234.jpg

IMG_5.3224.jpg

I experimented with this plate and rod below and found that by not welding the rod into the hole it packs in the bag easier and as the weight is applied the rod tilts slightly and binds to the plate.

IMG_6.3225.jpg

IMG_7.3226.jpg

IMG_8.3227.jpg

IMG_9.3228.jpg

IMG_10.3229.jpg

IMG_11.3230.jpg

IMG_12.3235.jpg

IMG_13.3236.jpg

Edited by Allen Kelly
  • Like 3

I am missing something (the wife says it is my marbles).

With the bike laying on its side, and your hook on the bottom and the post thing two plus feet away, by the seat....

A video is worth a thousand words...

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators

@Hibobb Here ya go.  Very similar but, different device, with the same function.