Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rear Brake Improvements

ManBearPig

I can't be the only one that hates the rear brakes on the T7

It feels very mushy/spongy and just doesnt provide any feedback. It seems to go from mush to locking up with no in between and very little predictability.

Has anyone experimented with improving this? I'm unsure if the poor feeling comes from the rubber line? Or maybe some HH rated pads would be enough to help?

Front brakes feel great. I just use the rear a lot. Probably more than most. And would love some improvement here.

Thanks 

• Like 1

• Moderators

@ManBearPigThese threads have some ideas for you on the subject.  Personally,  I'm ordering pads from Camel-ADV to try to improve mine.

We upgraded the brake pads own our 700 Tenere to GALFER units, and they are a huge improvement over the OEM pads.We carry Galfer's Semi-Metallic and their Sintered compounds.  SEMI-METALLIC BRAKE PADS...

Edited by AZJW
Fixed broken links
  • Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

a long time ago, on a much different bike that had same "binary" rear brake ...  

i welded the banjo bolt hole closed, then re-bored it with a smaller diameter hole....    it gave much more feeling and pressure

HOWEVER - I do not recommend this if you are not 100% sure what you are doing.   voids warranty, no clue how it affects ABS, etc etc

change the pads, makes a world of difference. I do the same thing on my MTB's, stock pads are almost never as good as AM options.

12 hours ago, Firebolter said:

change the pads, makes a world of difference. I do the same thing on my MTB's, stock pads are almost never as good as AM options.

What is recommended as best AM pads for the T700? 

15 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

I can't be the only one that hates the rear brakes on the T7

It feels very mushy/spongy and just doesnt provide any feedback. It seems to go from mush to locking up with no in between and very little predictability.

Has anyone experimented with improving this? I'm unsure if the poor feeling comes from the rubber line? Or maybe some HH rated pads would be enough to help?

Front brakes feel great. I just use the rear a lot. Probably more than most. And would love some improvement here.

Thanks 

Get the pads from Camel ADV.  Or the same ones from your supplier of choice.  The rear is light years better than the OEM.  The Fronts he has are better as well but the rear is a must have.  

J

• Like 1

I'm on my 3rd rear pad set in 17.000km, stock, brembo and galfer. My rotor is pretty worn, with deep grooves while my buddies have all intact rotors.

I have checked for uneven wear or a sticking pad but it all seems OK. I use the rear brake a lot.

Anyone here has the same issue? 

SAVE_20210516_223546.jpg

• 4 months later...

The pads are sacrificial , the harder they are the less self sacrificing they become and that will pass to the disc and will wear at a faster rate.

• Like 3

Mine too; I changed in Yamaha for free (12.000 km 2 years old). Italy

On 5/18/2021 at 9:28 AM, powder said:

I'm on my 3rd rear pad set in 17.000km, stock, brembo and galfer. My rotor is pretty worn, with deep grooves while my buddies have all intact rotors.

I have checked for uneven wear or a sticking pad but it all seems OK. I use the rear brake a lot.

Anyone here has the same issue? 

Edited by 365moto.eu

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I have the same issue. My rear rotor is wearing out real quick. Do you guys have any recommendations for a hardened rear rotor?

41 minutes ago, nycCommuter said:

Hey guys, I have the same issue. My rear rotor is wearing out real quick. Do you guys have any recommendations for a hardened rear rotor?

My suggestion is to use the front brake more. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, r1superstar said:

My suggestion is to use the front brake more

Yup, I concur.

There is a reason yamaha put dual disks and two-piston calipers on the front.

ABS should take the fear out of using them...

Edited by Hibobb

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

• Moderators
4 hours ago, nycCommuter said:

These threads should help.

• Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a brake pedal from a Yamaha dirtbike instead of 'the fix' from Camel ADV? The fact the platform doesn't fold on the camel really puts me off but the increased lever and reduced stroke seems like the right idea. 

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Hlshew said:

Has anyone tried a brake pedal from a Yamaha dirtbike instead of 'the fix' from Camel ADV? The fact the platform doesn't fold on the camel really puts me off but the increased lever and reduced stroke seems like the right idea. 

Have you viewed this video? Start at 4:14, Cory addresses the brake pedal tip and folding function that is in testing.   IMHO, it works so well, I feel it would be a shame not to get "The Fix" just because it currently doesn't have a folding tip.  FWIW, my take on Yamaha putting a folding tip on the soft easily bent oem pedal was a bandaid instead of supplying a more substantial brake pedal in the first place.

• Like 1

And then another thing, the tip is made to buckle as a sacrificial part and if you bend the pedal after that point i'm afraid you have more and bigger problems.
It's bolted on with 2 bolts so when it gets damaged you can take it off and be left with 2 holes you can use for a trail fix.

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

Have you viewed this video? Start at 4:14, Cory addresses the brake pedal tip and folding function that is in testing.   IMHO, it works so well, I feel it would be a shame not to get "The Fix" just because it currently doesn't have a folding tip.  FWIW, my take on Yamaha putting a folding tip on the soft easily bent oem pedal was a bandaid instead of supplying a more substantial brake pedal in the first place.

I had missed that! Thanks for sharing I will wait for the folding tip then especially as he has put in the work for R&D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I didn't like about my rear brake pedal was the long travel.  Many times I even dragged my toes into a right offroad turn!  Cory states the pivot point for the brake rod is the issue.  As I don't have any of the other issues the FIX fixes, I relocated my pivot point and made a new offset arm for $200 less than $200.

Rear brake lever.jpg

• Like 2
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

On 3/5/2023 at 9:03 AM, BADDANDY said:

The one thing I didn't like about my rear brake pedal was the long travel.  Many times I even dragged my toes into a right offroad turn!  Cory states the pivot point for the brake rod is the issue.  As I don't have any of the other issues the FIX fixes, I relocated my pivot point and made a new offset arm for $200 less than $200.

Rear brake lever.jpg

I'm looking to do the same.  Do you have any futher details/pictures to help illustrate?  It seemed this was the biggest factor on the fix.  Comparing yours with my stock '22.

Screenshot_20230311-065823_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230311-065849_Chrome.jpg

Edited by e010584
More pics

23 minutes ago, e010584 said:

I'm looking to do the same.  Do you have any futher details/pictures to help illustrate?  

No more pics.  All I did was weld a tab to the lever, drill a new hole and bend up the new pivot link.  To tell the truth, the link was the pain in the butt to bend up trying to keep the nut end square. I used 1.25" W x 4" L flat steel for the link which I shaped after bending and a 1.25" square for the tab which I cut down after welding it in.  Both pieces are same thickness as stock. I drilled the new hole and made the link one link-width as originally. Red in pic is the tab, Yellow is original, Green is new.

New pivot marked.jpg

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i

4 minutes ago, BADDANDY said:

No more pics.  All I did was weld a tab to the lever, drill a new hole and bend up the new pivot link.  To tell the truth, the link was the pain in the butt to bend up trying to keep the nut end square. I used 1.25" W x 4" L flat steel for the link which I shaped after bending and a 1.25" square for the tab which I cut down after welding it in.  Both pieces are same thickness as stock. I drilled the new hole and made the link one link-width as originally. Red in pic is the tab, Yellow is original, Green is new.

New pivot marked.jpg

That's what I gathered.  Thanks for the explanation!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BADDANDY said:

New pivot marked.jpg

Are you happy with the results?

I had a similar idea just need to get some more gas for my welder. Somehow I either used it all or it leaked out over the winter. 

Test ride perfect!  Not much lever movement needed for brake actuation, but still have progressive application.

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i