Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha R7

Cruizin

So, Yamaha has brought back the R7 model name and of course, it has the CP-2 engine. Its not a racebike, it wont keep up with an R-6. But it will have fully adjustable suspension, Slipper clutch and optional quick shifter. 

What do you guys think?   And yes, I just bought the domain R7forum.org . 

MSRP USD $8,999 + $430 destination charge. Curb weight 414LBS. & 3.4 Gal. tank.

Photos below belong to Yamaha.

reserve-model-blue-sold-out.png2022-Yamaha-R7-6-1536x864.jpeg2022-Yamaha-R7-3-1536x1024.jpeg2022-Yamaha-R7-2-1424x800.jpeg

• Like 4

I don't know much about sport bikes, but it's significantly cheaper than a R6 which I guess Yamaha expects will improve sales numbers.  I do know that dual sport/ADV continues to be the hot category, so I would have expected a WR250R replacement to be the priority.  Maybe that will still be announced this year yet.  

This bike will make a much more friendly mid size sport bike with "normal" ergo's for alot of newer riders versus a R6 like sport bike. I am willing to bet you, Yamaha will clean up on these just like they did with the T7. Is it as fast?, no, doesn't need to be. I bet back road cruising on this will be fun. I mean I enjoy throwing my T7 around like a big motard at times and the engine coming out of the corners is spot on since I got the ECU done. Whack it and go-theres alot to be said for having a power band you can use 100% of it. Makes for fun rides around the track and in the twisties and for a reasonable cost. I have lost my desire for litre bikes now, these mid weights are just so much more fun for me. I loved my RSV, but I bet I can get around the track near as fast as my previous litre bikes.

• Like 2

Beautiful bike and I'm sure it will be successful... I am interested in the clutch as well.. Would be interested to see how much it is... 

What would be a nice step up in the near future is a cp2 engine with 800cc and 90 to 100hp.

Mine is tuned with intake and exhaust and it does make a huge difference... Can't wait for the final tune and to brag about torque numbers...🤣

Aleks 

Makes me want it for a dedicated track bike, TBH

• Like 1

as much as this new R7 would be a great bike...I just can't stand the whole new cyclops looking headlight...

I like the retro single light but the new design is just...no in favor of it.

I would too love if they can put in a more super moto frame although the T7 is really close to it.

oh well, back to popcorn eating and watching 😛

The Sport bike tends to get a lot of people in trouble and worse around CT.  Not much of a runway to speed up and slowdown quickly.

I'm sure it's a fabulous bike, I have no interest though. Closest I came to this type of bike was a 1984 Gpz 750  MY ONLY OTHER BRAND NEW BIKE ASIDE FROM THE T7!

Review of Kawasaki GPZ 750 1984: pictures, live photos & description  Kawasaki GPZ 750 1984 > Lovers Of Motorcycles

The  KTM 690 enduro r   was a little Johnny Rocket as well.  Short on utility, but boy could I load that up!

KTM 690 LOADED TO THE GILLS.png

For reasons, I'm a one bike person.  T7

Edited by ADVUSA

It might sell. It's most likely a 7/8 sized bike just like the fz/mt07. If it had 90hp it would be okay, but I'm with cruzin on the cp3 train. T9, r9. I'm just not sure this bike will revived the ss class(sorta sport, not super sport). 

I'm not too familiar with sport bikes so can someone explain why the R6 is faster than the R7? Is it just the additional weight?

5 hours ago, Sunchild714 said:

I'm not too familiar with sport bikes so can someone explain why the R6 is faster than the R7? Is it just the additional weight?

I think the biggest factor is the 4-cyl engine of the R6, which makes a lot more horsepower than a 2-cyl.  More of a factor on a track where revs stay up and no hills to climb.  The torquier 2-cyl is great for off-road and the mountains. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

The Sport bike tends to get a lot of people in trouble and worse around CT.  Not much of a runway to speed up and slowdown quickly.

I'm sure it's a fabulous bike, I have no interest though. Closest I came to this type of bike was a 1984 Gpz 750  MY ONLY OTHER BRAND NEW BIKE ASIDE FROM THE T7!

Review of Kawasaki GPZ 750 1984: pictures, live photos & description  Kawasaki GPZ 750 1984 > Lovers Of Motorcycles

The  KTM 690 enduro r   was a little Johnny Rocket as well.  Short on utility, but boy could I load that up!

KTM 690 LOADED TO THE GILLS.png

For reasons, I'm a one bike person.  T7

The GPZ 750 was a fantastic motorcycle. I still love the looks of that bike.

15 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

The GPZ 750 was a fantastic motorcycle. I still love the looks of that bike.

Bought new in 1985, leftover new in box $2,800 +-

Sold after a couple years.

Edited by ADVUSA

At the same price point there is CBR650R (9000€ in France vs 9000€-9500€ for the R7). More power (95hp), really good chassis. I had a 2016 CB650F (a naked version) It has almost a real racing engine with 4 cylinders that revs pretty high. The only drowback is the weight (207kg).

I'll take this one, in captivity at Barbers M.S. museum. Note the ELR behind it, autographed by Ed hisself, #21.

DSCN0942 (1).JPG

• Like 2

There are a couple videos up on the youtubes from press release track day. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, Cruizin said:

The R7 will sell like crazy same as the MT07 for two reasons.

Looks and price. 

And low RPM torque. 

• Like 1

As a current track day junkie, I think a lot of you have this bike all wrong. This will make a GREAT amateur (probably not for advanced class due to weak brakes and suspension) track day bike. Simple put- price point and low RPM torque. Their is a lot of us that don’t want to rev a bike to 14k to get around the track. In fact if we do have some torque to tap, usually “slower is faster” is the better, faster and safer way to get around. That often is why the relic SV650 is still the go-to track bike.  A friend of mine currently has a 2003 R6 and is looking for a twin (possible triple) to replace for those exact reasons.  We’ve talked about the SV650 (too old school for him), Ducati 848 (expensive and additional maintenance without the refinement of the Triumph Daytona), Aprilia RSV4 (too much weight and power) and the Triumph Daytona (he’d prefer a twin!) 

He’s also considering the Aprilia Tuono/RS660 (probably not available and expensive) and now I can tell him about the R7!  Their not available either but may become available before the Aprilia.  

Sweet bike. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Jepp, since May it was only a question between black or blue. Even that I do not like black motorcycles, in that case, it could be a black and take some third party plastics and some stickers for a proper look.

But since this week with a 60th anniversary coming, I have to inform my dealer regarding my 'updated' decision!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2021 at 4:42 AM, DT675 said:

As a current track day junkie, I think a lot of you have this bike all wrong. This will make a GREAT amateur (probably not for advanced class due to weak brakes and suspension) track day bike. Simple put- price point and low RPM torque. Their is a lot of us that don’t want to rev a bike to 14k to get around the track. In fact if we do have some torque to tap, usually “slower is faster” is the better, faster and safer way to get around. That often is why the relic SV650 is still the go-to track bike.  A friend of mine currently has a 2003 R6 and is looking for a twin (possible triple) to replace for those exact reasons.  We’ve talked about the SV650 (too old school for him), Ducati 848 (expensive and additional maintenance without the refinement of the Triumph Daytona), Aprilia RSV4 (too much weight and power) and the Triumph Daytona (he’d prefer a twin!) 

He’s also considering the Aprilia Tuono/RS660 (probably not available and expensive) and now I can tell him about the R7!  Their not available either but may become available before the Aprilia.  

Sweet bike. 

Correct, thank you for writing. It is a sweet bike.

I am not a track day junkie, I would call it casual track day rider. One or two times a season I just visit a track and have a lot of fun. And this fun is caused by the package of budget bike and quite not comparable CP2 engine. It makes track riding much more simple, compared to other rides, when people start to list sport bikes.

So I am happy to upgrade soon...

spacer.png

BR

hombacher

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DT675 said:

What is that bike your riding? 

You going to get a R7? I hope you do and report back here about it! 

Oh, my current ride is my little pony:

1484531660_210915IMG_0702_kl.jpg.40b92c9ad9218666cd55c429bfdbb2d2.jpg

A XSR700 from 2016, so I am more or less prepared what to expect regarding CP2 performance and capabilities.

My actual plan is to go for a R7 this winter. Expected release here and knowing the sales price will be around October? Hope it will be something in Euro, what was already announced for the US in Dollar. A price above 10 kEUR will bring back into discussion the Aprilia offerings. So I will wait what Yamaha Germany thinks where to place the R7.

Next possible track days will be in spring or summer next year. Which means, that a possible ride report will take a while 😉

• Like 2