Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha R7

Cruizin

I like it! I wish we had more CP2 offerings in the US- XSR700/ Tracer 700.  

That sounds like a good plan. And yes, the Aprilia “middle weight” offerings are very compelling. I hope you keep us posted on what your doing!  

• Like 1

The R7 will sell like hotcakes.  It's  sexy, it's cheap, and the CP2 is a great street engine.  The T7's implementation is very, very different from the MT07, and I'd expect the R7 to differ as well.   After all, look at how well the MT07 sold, and there's a lot of people who didn't buy in there because they're more into the sportbike aesthetic.  

To this day, my old MT07 is one of the single most fun street bikes I've ever ridden, and is the major driving point behind why I got a T7, despite the gearing and power curve being wildly different.  Much like the XSR700, that low RPM torque, and frenzied low end acceleration on a super light chassis makes it feel screaming fast - and it's much faster than a T7.   

• Like 1

No, middleweights...

The shown Dorsoduro is at least as heavy as the T7, if not even heavier. We were talking about middleweight street bikes, something about 170 to 180, max. 190 kg ready to ride.

7 hours ago, hombacher said:

No, middleweights...

The shown Dorsoduro is at least as heavy as the T7, if not even heavier. We were talking about middleweight street bikes, something about 170 to 180, max. 190 kg ready to ride.

Yes, middleweights...  "middleweight" is usually used in reference to displacement, (c.c.'s). So to me a 900cc Aprilia, in a world where 2300cc+ heavyweights roam around, is a middleweight. Just hope you dont run across a well sorted aggressively ridden one on your pony during a track day. 😢

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 4:18 PM, DT675 said:

I like it! I wish we had more CP2 offerings in the US- XSR700/ Tracer 700.  

That sounds like a good plan. And yes, the Aprilia “middle weight” offerings are very compelling. I hope you keep us posted on what your doing!  

Since two or three weeks, Yamaha Deutschland (Germany) pinned the price tag to their R7 offerings. It is 9449 EUR for the black or blue one, and 9849 EUR for the 60th anniversary. The price is inclusive tax and preparation fee, or what is the term, out of the door price?

Anyhow, that is quite okay, maybe some successful negotiation or some goodies on top. For me I have a R7 60th on order now, to be delivered in spring 2022.

Think it is still the better package compared to a RS660 which is about 11050 EUR out of the door. Maybe some better Aprilia deals will follow, the selling is not so good or far away from expectations. Especially when I hear that a dealer close to me has 30 RS + 30 Tuono still on stock, will get a little close to get them all rid this year.

Better package means, I know what I buy, if it is a Yamaha. New 660 Aprilia did already some serious recalls incl. complete engine change. This is not so trust building. There is some more nominal power, but on the negative side loads of (for me) not needed electronic aids. I feel good with my decision.

BR

hombacher

• Like 3

On 9/27/2021 at 2:18 AM, Fazemon said:

Yes, middleweights...  "middleweight" is usually used in reference to displacement, (c.c.'s). So to me a 900cc Aprilia, in a world where 2300cc+ heavyweights roam around, is a middleweight. Just hope you dont run across a well sorted aggressively ridden one on your pony during a track day. 😢

...seriously?

Aprilia Dorsoduro is a heavy, low powered lame duck, low in sales figures, you can find a lot of them here as a used one. Better and more requested bikes are the thumpers of KTM/Husqvarna and if you like it big, it is a Ducati Hyper Moto. Nut never ever that heavy pig of an Aprilia.

On 5/19/2021 at 7:08 PM, Hogan said:

Interesting idea. I suppose if the riding position is more sport touring it could be an ok bike. But a 700cc SS with a high torque motor that puts out a pathetic 70 odd hp, no thanks. My 30 year old VFR 750 makes 100hp and leaves the T7 for dead. I would not call this R7 'progress'.

There are a few other tweaks to the engine, it's not exactly the same as the T7 or MT07. I am interested in the assist/slipper clutch though, which could possibly be retrofitted to the T7 or MT07.

Many people place too much importance on power and think the bike is only as fast as it's HP specification. In the land of canyon riding the R7 will be fast, but most importantly fun to give a thrashing. 

Just fit a sweet exhaust pipe to get the sound track and a $240 2WDW tune to get it breathing and the perfect throttle response. It would be pretty much as good as it gets.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hombacher said:

...seriously?

Aprilia Dorsoduro is a heavy, low powered lame duck, low in sales figures, you can find a lot of them here as a used one. Better and more requested bikes are the thumpers of KTM/Husqvarna and if you like it big, it is a Ducati Hyper Moto. Nut never ever that heavy pig of an Aprilia.

Really pony boy? And I bet you think your little 72 hp pony is a real beast! All yap and no go! If you dont like Noale, that's ok, but at least have a real reason. Now go on, giton down to the barn...🐴

On 9/23/2021 at 8:39 AM, Wintersdark said:

To this day, my old MT07 is one of the single most fun street bikes I've ever ridden, and is the major driving point behind why I got a T7, despite the gearing and power curve being wildly different.  Much like the XSR700, that low RPM torque, and frenzied low end acceleration on a super light chassis makes it feel screaming fast - and it's much faster than a T7.   

I sure wish the T7 was a little more like how you describe the XSR/MT07.  I could use just a little more punchy bottom end. 

On 10/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, DT675 said:

I sure wish the T7 was a little more like how you describe the XSR/MT07.  I could use just a little more punchy bottom end. 

I suspect (but cannot confirm) that a flash would make a big difference.  The T7 feels pretty de-tuned stock, I believe to get that super linear tractorlike powerband.  

Of course, there's other factors.  A massive difference in weight: 452 lbs for a base T7 before the inevitable crash bars etc, vs 397 lbs for the MT07, which often is reduced with farkling rather than increased.  And the T7's anti-squat design works really hard at keeping the front end down and planted, so it's much more likely to just push forward rather than stand up.  That was kind of a disappointment for me personally, I'm not gonna lie: The MT07 will straight up power wheelie in first, second, and third if you're just riding really aggressively, not even clutching it up, or loading/unloading the suspension.  In terms of actual torque it's very similar, but these two differences heavily impact how it feels in practice.  

Right. That’s a lot of factors to consider between the 3. I don’t have one but have ridden a late model MT07. It didn’t float my boat but I did like the feel of the power output especially down low. 

Concerning this thread, I’m betting the R7 will be a whole different feeling machine again, over all 3 of the other CP2’s. I’d love to throw a leg over all of em.  

• 3 weeks later...

OK so I have an R7 ordered, and bought a personalised plate for it.

Open photo

2022_yzf-r7sp_sw_aus_sta_001_1280x960.ashx

So given I have a fully pimped MT09, why would I want one of these? Well, many reasons, some may make sense and some not. Let's work through them.

The star attraction for me is the motor. Every time I go riding on my Tenere 700, one of the really joyful things for me is the sound and soul of that engine. It sounds like a hot V8 and with the 2WDW tune, it is just the sweetest, meatiest little workhorse I know of. I don't intend keeping it stock, and will try to fit the same SC Project exhaust I have on the T7 along with the Hordpower intake which is still on its way to Australia. That should get me around 75-80 hp, which is plenty enough for me. If you check out my videos on the MT09, I bet you wont find anywhere I have used more performance than this little rocket can deliver.

Then there is the handling. Still to be confirmed but I suspect this will feel awesome on the tight twisty back roads that I spend most of my road riding on. The Ohlins cartridges off my MT09 should fit, and I believe my carbon wheels will too, along with the brake rotors and some titanium parts. So it wont need much extra spent on it that I dont already have. I dont think the weight will get much lower than my MT09 which is already down to 178 kgs fully fueled, but I think my body mass will be lower which should make flicking through corners a bit quicker, and hopefully feel even sweeter.

On the handling, I want to fine tune my riding style, learn to milk the corners and not rely on power or flat-out speed to go fast. I have done this for years, but with this little machine I want to explore it to its limit and expect a few track days are in my future. 

I also think this is one awesome looking bike. Perhaps after my mid-life crisis it will be something to keep and admire while I tell tall stories of how fast I was and share a few beers with mates.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 6:32 AM, Cruizin said:

As much as I love the CP-2 engine, I wish they would just make the YZF-R9 with the FZ/MT-09 triple. My fav street/canyon engine 

I know alot of people want the T-9, too. 

I think this is coming soon as the frame from the new Mt09 that I have is ready to take clip ons and the chassis is amazing.

Aleks

20211009132613_IMG_2905 (2).jpg

Stopped into the local dealer and they had a blue one sitting there beside a new Tenere 700 in blue.

My pics are terrible, but it looked beautiful.

B2611355-EC3D-4E4D-AA87-76C7E48329DF_1_201_a.jpeg

740D8E1D-F52F-417C-913C-3180E35BBB90_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3

It seems the stock R7 is pretty quick. Mid 11's apparently. Imagine how well it would go with a Hordpower intake, 2WDW tune, pipe and a bit of weight reduction. I'll let you know when I find out.

Yamaha-YZF-R7-top-speed-and-acceleration

The new Yamaha R7's top speed is 139 mph. It can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.27 seconds and 0-100 km/h in 3.43 seconds. The &FCF-R7's quarter mile time is 11.64@116 mph

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimeMachine said:

It seems the stock R7 is pretty quick. Mid 11's apparently. Imagine how well it would go with a Hordpower intake, 2WDW tune, pipe and a bit of weight reduction. I'll let you know when I find out.

Yamaha-YZF-R7-top-speed-and-acceleration

The new Yamaha R7's top speed is 139 mph. It can accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.27 seconds and 0-100 km/h in 3.43 seconds. The &FCF-R7's quarter mile time is 11.64@116 mph

That's very quick ,I'd imagine with a tune and some mods you could see it below 3.0 sec on 60mph and maybe a low 11 or high 10 sec pass.

I'm surprised to be fair but then it has a fairing and that does help a lot.

Aleks

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

God that's pretty.  I couldn't really justify one; I'm not really into the supersport riding posture - too big and too old, now.  But damn.  That's a beautiful looking ride.  I want one just to have it.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Well the R7's are finally trickling into Australia. Mine arrived yesterday and I got a late afternoon ride through my local back roads. It is a sweet machine and handles better than expected. It feels stable yet nimble, very confidence inspiring mid corner, with a great connection to the road when leaned into the corner. I think much of that is just the nature of sports bikes, but way better than the taller nakeds (as much as I love naked bikes for other reasons).

Some things surprised me though. Suspension worked better than expected and has me wondering if I need to change it. Maybe not even the springs despite weighing 115kgs. Also the engine is very smooth at low revs. With no exhaust sound and just relaxed riding by feel, I would look down at the revs and be doing 2500 to 3000 revs. It felt like the tacho was a thousand revs out. The bike pulls smooth with enough power from very low down. In top gear the revs are 4000 at around 106 kph, which is probably a genuine 98. You can sense just how slippery the bike cuts through the air and uses only light throttle once up to speed.

I am a tall guy and my general rider triangle is pretty good. But I do have a slight issue fitting my knees into the tank cutouts. If I move my feet back on the pegs slightly then I fit, but with my feet in the right position for braking and gear changes its a bit tight. I have a set of adjustable pegs that should solve it.

Now to fit the quick-shifter (which it doesn't really need), tail tidy and 2Wheel DynoWorks map and see if my carbon wheels fit. Fingers crossed.

20220210_193754.thumb.jpg.b7bbae7083aabeaf3e1f2537721d223e.jpg20220210_193645.thumb.jpg.2995a8c3d834115e086eb41466160a89.jpg

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Well the R7's are finally trickling into Australia. Mine arrived yesterday and I got a late afternoon ride through my local back roads. It is a sweet machine and handles better than expected. It feels stable yet nimble, very confidence inspiring mid corner, with a great connection to the road when leaned into the corner. I think much of that is just the nature of sports bikes, but way better than the taller nakeds (as much as I love naked bikes for other reasons).

Some things surprised me though. Suspension worked better than expected and has me wondering if I need to change it. Maybe not even the springs despite weighing 115kgs. Also the engine is very smooth at low revs. With no exhaust sound and just relaxed riding by feel, I would look down at the revs and be doing 2500 to 3000 revs. It felt like the tacho was a thousand revs out. The bike pulls smooth with enough power from very low down. In top gear the revs are 4000 at around 106 kph, which is probably a genuine 98. You can sense just how slippery the bike cuts through the air and uses only light throttle once up to speed.

I am a tall guy and my general rider triangle is pretty good. But I do have a slight issue fitting my knees into the tank cutouts. If I move my feet back on the pegs slightly then I fit, but with my feet in the right position for braking and gear changes its a bit tight. I have a set of adjustable pegs that should solve it.

Now to fit the quick-shifter (which it doesn't really need), tail tidy and 2Wheel DynoWorks map and see if my carbon wheels fit. Fingers crossed.

20220210_193754.thumb.jpg.b7bbae7083aabeaf3e1f2537721d223e.jpg20220210_193645.thumb.jpg.2995a8c3d834115e086eb41466160a89.jpg

Curious what gearing does it come with? 16/43-44?

Looks nice. 

1 hour ago, williestreet said:

Curious what gearing does it come with? 16/43-44?

Looks nice. 

Thanks. Gearing is 16/42 which is one less tooth on the back than the MT07.