Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Koso Heated Grips

JayIsaacJ

Anybody have experience using/ installing these on a T7?

The apollo series look really nice, what size is appropriate for the stock handlebars?

Thanks all. Happy wednesday

J

I know this isn't your question, but I installed the Oxfords and they're a 10/10 for sure

I have the Koso Apollo 130mm installed. Pretty pleased with how they're performing.

The clutch side fit a bit more loosely than heated grips I installed on other bikes so I had to use more glue than I'm used to. Butthe package comes with plenty of glue.

operating them is very comfortable, the controls are unobtrusive. I do occasionally turn them on inadvertently when reaching for the indicators.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

our own @Tazmoolhas written his experience with Kaslo Apollo

Perhaps he can contribute some inside beside what he already wrote.

Thanks everybody, this is all very helpful.

J

I also have the koso grips (130mm) and have no complaints so far. I wound up using some Locktite UltraGel Control glue instead of what they provided (has a longer setup time than standard superglue). As mentioned above, the clutch side is quite tight so you really need to use all your strength to get that side on before the glue sets.

I have the same issue where I sometimes turn them on by accident but since I wired them into the accessory port I never have any issue with them staying on after I stop riding.

I've got the Koso MX-1 grips installed. Low profile, lock on grips. Heat level is good, as they are meant for mx and snow bikes. I really do prefer the thin, low profile of the MX style grips over the bulkier size of most of the other models. 

• 1 year later...

Figured I'd bump this in case others are looking. Installed them a couple weeks ago on my 700. Used the auxiliary on the right hand side of the bike to have it turned on via key. The grips get HOT. In the PNW, riding in 40 degree weather and the middle temp with some Klim Dakar pro gloves and my hands were toasty. The high temp setting was WAY too hot. Absolutely love the switch to turn them on and adjust temp. I've read of people accidentally hitting the button, so I angled it down just a tad with zero problems. Will absolutely be putting them on other bikes. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Like 2

^^^^  I concur.  I like the slimness, no bulky control square thing ruining the lines of the bike.  Lined up the flat edge of the grip with the factory buttons.  Got no idea about longevity but they seemed high quality.

20221230_152433.jpg.c4f146968f94593d7c46e815f8dc88bf.jpg

Dealer installed Koso Apollo grips upon initial setup of bike and it seems as if they didn’t use the proper or enough glue. Throttle will sometimes slip from the grip. Any luck with the 
LocktiteUltraGel Control glue?

Also, anyone using these 130mm grips with barkbusters and a kaoko throttle lock? Wondering if they will fit.

thanks

11 hours ago, DT700 said:

Dealer installed Koso Apollo grips upon initial setup of bike and it seems as if they didn’t use the proper or enough glue. Throttle will sometimes slip from the grip. Any luck with the 

Also, anyone using these 130mm grips with barkbusters and a kaoko throttle lock? Wondering if they will fit.

thanks

In my experience it is more how one applies the adhesive that what adhesive is used.   If you don't place some into the grip, along with the handlebar, the grip can act as a wiper as it goes on.   These I put on with spray adhesive 3M super 77, it was what I had in the shop at that time.   Just for reference, the pictured about are 130mm. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Toymaster said:

^^^^  I concur.  I like the slimness, no bulky control square thing ruining the lines of the bike.  Lined up the flat edge of the grip with the factory buttons.  Got no idea about longevity but they seemed high quality.

20221230_152433.jpg.c4f146968f94593d7c46e815f8dc88bf.jpg

I put oxford controller to the side of dash using double sided tape. Yes it is sideways but no issue for me, not like there are lot of settings, but is out of the way.

14 hours ago, DT700 said:

thanks

I have the Koso grips with Barkbusters and Kaoko throttle lock. It took a bit of fiddling with washers to get the throttle lock working correctly but it is all fine together. 

My grips were installed without glue and seem to stay in place fine including off road. I did clean everything meticulously first. 

• Thanks 1