Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

How to change rear brake pads

AZJW

• Moderators

Changing rear brake pads is one of the easier maintenance items you can do to your T7, but for the uninitiated,  here's a quick how-to pictorial.

Tools needed:

1/8" punch

10" punch, wood dowel or rod

Hammer

Needlenose pliers

New pads 

20210527_110012.jpg

1. Remove brake pad clip.

20210527_104340.jpg

2. Push brake pad pin toward inside of wheel with punch

20210527_104557.jpg

3. Remove brake pad pin, then pads by pulling down, then rearward

20210527_104712.jpg

4. Insert new pads, assure the front engages the notch properly. ( noted by punch tip)

20210527_113649.jpg

5. If caliper piston needs to be compressed, outside pad can be inserted at an angle, then pressed toward rotor to gain enough clearance for new pads.

20210527_104932.jpg

6. Insert brake pad pin with clip hole on top.

20210527_113734.jpg

7. Tap brake pad pin in fully until you see the clip hole exposed. Insert clip and go ride!

20210527_105928.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks @AZJW, appreciate the simple how to tutorial. Is there a bedding procedure for the new pads or just run them in with normal riding?

• Moderators

Personally I just ride them as normal and don't follow a specific bedding process.  My OEM pads must've glazed over very early on as the 4057 miles measurement compared to the new Galfer pads was only a difference of 0.88 mm.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Wow, thanks for doing this. Is the process similar for the front?

28 minutes ago, AZJW said:

Personally I just ride them as normal and don't follow a specific bedding process.  My OEM pads must've glazed over very early on as the 4057 miles measurement compared to the new Galfer pads was only a difference of 0.88 mm.

Nice write up 👍.

One point is pad glazing, this shouldn’t be an issue as the disc is cross-drilled. These holes  reduces surface gas pressure and de-gaze the pads.

Excellent tutorial.  The only thing I normally do extra is polish the pad pins with #0000 steel wool.

Do the Galfer pads have better feel than the OEM?  The rear brakes are pretty numb feeling….even when trying to lock them up intentionally to activate the ABS ever so often.

Edited by whisperquiet

• Moderators
3 hours ago, whisperquiet said:

Excellent tutorial.  The only thing I normally do extra is polish the pad pins with #0000 steel wool.

Do the Galfer pads have better feel than the OEM?  The rear brakes are pretty numb feeling….even when trying to lock them up intentionally to activate the ABS ever so often.

@whisperquietYes, most definitely.  First ride with them today, 90 miles total with 60 of them dirt and the rear brake predictability was readily apparent from the get go.  I did a few quick stops on pavement from around 60 mph, no surprises, very linear in feel and stopping power.  Downhill hairpins in the dirt were a hoot, just come in hot, stomp the rear brake, slide the rear as needed, point the front tire in desired direction, hammer throttle. Rinse & repeat.  Probably the best and most cost effective mod I've done yet.  Kudos to Cory @Camel ADVfor offering these at a bargain price. Just another happy customer spreading the word!

• Like 2

• Moderators

Excellent tutorial @AZJW cheers man. I would also recommend spraying the pistons with brake cleaner before compressing them to avoid pushing any debris up into there.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Can I tell approximately how much wear the pads have by looking at them installed? If I bend over I can see the grooves on the pads, and if I’m not mistaken, these grooves are an indicator of wear. The deeper the groove, the more pad I have left.

Is this correct? Thanks as always!

• Moderators

@JayDYes, you are correct.  Factory service limit minimum for the rear brake pad lining is 3.9 mm (0.15 in.). Listed in Section 2.7 of the Service Manual.  

• Like 1