Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

MX boot riders: please help!

JayD

Hello good people!

I often find myself doing off-road things on the T7 thats way too hard for my beginner skill level, but I just cant help myself, its so much fun!

Because of this, I bought some protective gear such as a forcefield jacket, knee protectors and MX boots. This is the first time I’ve tried real MX boots (Forma), and while I knew they would be stiffer than my ADV boots, I had no clue they would be this stiff.

My biggest issue is rear braking seated, its just not possible to flex my ankle enough to get on top. I lowered it as much as possible, while still having a good feel standing, but still impossible to brake seated.

Is there a remedy for this?

Johannes.

(And yes, it was way steeper than it looks. I can’t imagine how steep the climbs @Camel ADVdoes when he says the camera doesn’t do justice 😂)

Edited by JayD
  • Like 1

I recently went to   Alpinestar Tech 7 Enduros and understand where you are coming from. Feels like trying to ride in ski boots. No feel for the rear break or shift lever. I have no real advice other than practice. In my case people have told me they will break in a bit.  

Curious to hear any advice others give that have had experience. 

@Offcamber Yeah exactly - a couple of times I wasn’t sure I was braking before I suddenly locked the rear wheel 😅

I hope someone commenting has experience with a two step brake lever, I think those might be perfect for our situation?

• Like 1

• Moderators

@JayD This bike is known to have a lack of rear brake " feel"  due in part to lousy oem pads. Many, myself included,  have switched to Galfer or other brands and have made a world of difference.   The other issue with stiff boots is very real as well and as you're finding, some boots are easier to ride in than others. I haven't tried a replacement brake pedal, but some like the 2 step arrangement that it provides.  Kinda spendy, but might help fix the problem you're having. 

IMG_5381_medium.jpg?v=1621282955

We upgraded the brake pads own our 700 Tenere to GALFER units, huge improvement! For the front of the bike we opted for HH Sintered compound: Better initial bite than...

fbe_06_799_10000_b_7_xl.jpg

This milled aluminum extension for brake pedal is ideal for off-road driving: it replaces the original Yamaha Ténéré 700 brake lever step plate.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

@AZJWThanks a lot!

Yeah, the rear brake is very vague, but I’ve learned to live with it. My issue is when I lower the brake pedal so much that I cant fully press down on it.

I think I might give one of those two steps a try- one low for seated and one higher for standing, sounds pretty simple and straight forward, but I’ve never seen one or heard from someone who uses it.

• Moderators

@JayD Yes, good plan. Please do a Parts & Upgrade review if you get the 2 step pedal, looks like they might be a good upgrade.

You don't list your location in your signature,  but if in the US, Altrider is in Seattle.

https://www.altrider.com/altrider-dualcontrol-brake-system-for-the-yamaha-tenere-700/pid/2934/cid/6

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

I added Touratech brake pedal extension and Pivot Pegs seem to take care of it.

• Like 1

@AZJWI’m from Norway, so SW Motech it is - will write a review after some testing.

@UtahJackI didn’t think of that, sounds like a good setup. Havent tried the Pivots yet either. Those are pricey, especially in Norway!

when I am riding offroad?  I am standing, not seated.  and the MX boots work just fine for braking.

I think you might be trying to find a solution with tech when all you really need is ride time.

I like a bit of bling as much as the next man but sometimes you just need to adapt.

The old boy in this video says it best at 2.38.

• Like 3

@Alan MThats a darn good point and I’m really glad you brought it up (along with a video (from a channel I love)). Thanks.

I often find myself in a situation where something isn’t working as I think it should, and my first reaction is «gotta check the forums and internet for a solution». I’m very aware of this happening, but I do it over and over again.

On todays ride though, there was at least five things that were of real annoyance from new mx gear- but I told myself that it will probably be fine with time and experience, except the brake with mx boots part. I happily admit I love the blings, and I ordered a two step brake pedal to see if it helps. The rest will get better with experience 🙂

• Like 2

I had the same issue, a pedal extender fixes the the problem. I went with the Alt rider and it’s been great. 

Just want to add that while seated off-road you should be sitting as far forward as possible, this should give you more leverage on the break pedal (and better control of the bike in general). This won’t prevent the mushy feeling of the Tenere’s rear break or the stiffness of your boots. For that you’ll need better pads and/or a break foot lever mod. For the boots, they need to be broken in. I ride with some old JETT motocross boots that are basically completely plastic ski boots, and after a little while they loosen up and work fine (as well as providing the most protection of any MX boot). 

• Like 1

I have the Forma Terra EVO high (off-road) and low boots (for when I ride street and minor excursions off-road).

I highly recommend the AltRider - DualControl Brake System.

It really helps with activating the rear brakes when your either sitting down or standing on the bike. It mounts on top of the factory rear brake pedal.

Lower platform for when your sitting down on the seat.

The smaller second level for when you standing on the foot pegs.

For even when I'm riding on the street it has made the T7 rear brakes function much better. I don't have to tip my toes and ankle as far down to get effective rear braking out of the T7 rear brakes.

Not cheap, but I highly recommend this mod! Makes your rear braking much more effective.

bvyup3xl.jpg

ODydIASl.jpg?1

Edited by REDHORSECA

You might consider pivot pegz as a replacement for your OEM pegs (or other).  Gives you a few degrees of rotation front and back when the ankle can’t otherwise flex. As for me

- Pivot Pegz

- Installed Galfer pads as other suggested 

- Raised the brake lever up as necessary 

Edited by motoddb

@Dealer507Thanks for the suggestion. I already sit as far forward as I can, luckily I’m done making kids, because I’m soon not able to 😂 but, the further forward I sit, the more acute the angle on my ankle, which makes it even harder to dorsidlex my ankle to get my foot up on the pad.

Thats why I ordered the two step brake like @REDHORSECAlinked (although the SW Motech one).

@motoddbThe pivot pegz sound sweet, they might be the next step if this doesnt work out, thanks!

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
7 hours ago, JayD said:

Hello good people!

I often find myself doing off-road things on the T7 thats way too hard for my beginner skill level, but I just cant help myself, its so much fun!

Because of this, I bought some protective gear such as a forcefield jacket, knee protectors and MX boots. This is the first time I’ve tried real MX boots (Forma), and while I knew they would be stiffer than my ADV boots, I had no clue they would be this stiff.

My biggest issue is rear braking seated, its just not possible to flex my ankle enough to get on top. I lowered it as much as possible, while still having a good feel standing, but still impossible to brake seated.

Johannes.

(And yes, it was way steeper than it looks. I can’t imagine how steep the climbs @Camel ADVdoes when he says the camera doesn’t do justice 😂)

It's all kind of a compromise. I've got my pedal set a bit too high for seated riding and a bit too low for standing.... you get used to it!

• Like 1

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

40 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

It's all kind of a compromise. I've got my pedal set a bit too high for seated riding and a bit too low for standing.... you get used to it!

Cory you have a new Camel product to work on! lol

"Just do it!" hehe

Edited by REDHORSECA

11 hours ago, JayD said:

Johannes.

Hi Johannes! 

Cant really see the construction of your boots in the video, but I think they are leather without a pivoting ankle...if so, expect them to take several rides to break in. If they have a pivot, they will move more freely sooner, but they still have a bit of bulk that might hinder "feel" until you get adjusted to them.

I am kind of picky about my boots and have used Alpinestars, Sidis and Gaernes in the last couple of years. I really like the soles on Alpinestars newer tech series (3/5/7/10) for the feel on the brake and shifter. I ride in tech 3s when on the adv bike or trail riding. MX I want more support and protection so tech 7s or tech 10s on the track.

They all have a pretty thin sole in the area the brake pedal contacts the sole and they all have some type of pivot at the ankle which helps them to move freely without much break in time.

Welted soles have a kind of dead feel and can take some getting used to. 

@OctagonPilotThanks a lot!

I have a pair of Forma Terrain I think, older model without the hinge. Stiff as a piece of wood!

Will keep on riding and break them in. I have a pair of Red Wings as my walking boots, and they took over a year of every day walking to break in, now they’re fantastic!

🙂 

I forgot to add some information yesterday: I’m 6’4, mostly legs, so my knee joint is almost parallel to my hip (have the rally seat) and my ankle joint is at full dorsi flex. My inability to shift and rear brake might have something to do with that and not only the stiffer boots. Might go with lowered pegs to free up the cockpit, but I’m a bit reluctant due to lack of clearance.

Thanks for all the replys to my thread, you guys are awesome!