Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New to ADV and want to protect my T7

Cojax

Hey guys,

Have had my t7 for a few weeks now and loving it! I come from a street riding background but now that I am getting more familiar with the bike I want to get into the adventure segment. I know I will need to start small and do some practice on simple dirt, but I also know I will drop the bike. a lot. That's where you guys come in!

I have done a bunch of research trying to find the best systems that work together and give me flexibility that I need. I'd like to have a center stand but it seems most of them are not in stock, so I'd like the option to stay open.

I have about $2000 +/- to spend, this is what I was thinking, and I'd love some feedback.

Camel ADV

-High exhaust (dont want to drop it and mess up the frame)

-1 finger clutch (this will be a commuter too and may have my hand in traffic)

-T7 gut guard skid plate (love that is protects the back suspension linkage, looks great, and works with many center stands)

Touratech

-Lower Crash bars

-Upper crash bars? (is this needed or get this later, as most of the falls will happen on the handlebars)

-Handguards (looked for barkbusters but they seem to be out of stock everywhere)

Adventurespec

-Rear luggage rack (to help give my tail a little protection. Will probably be using soft side panniers eventually (or is it much better to go for hard ones? opinions?)

I am a heavier rider at about 215 w/o gear, and have heard that replacing the back spring may be a great idea too, and I figure I will once I get more ADVenturous on the trails, or should that take precedence? 

Anything else you can think of?

I appreciate it!

c

• Like 1

Plan not to dump your bike.  It sucks.  

A good set of boots and gear because you matter most and first.

Anything from Camel Adv is a good investment so go for that stuff.

Take a look at the Hepco Becker hand guards.  The dealer I purchased from threw in a set and although I was not going to use them, now that I've installed them, they're great.  

You may want to get a bit larger foot pegs as well.  And tires.  Oh, a tail tidy from Camel is a nice addition.  I think we're way over the prescribed 2 grand.  Time to start a go fund me page.

Edited by Landshark
  • Like 1

@Cojax

Great list for sure. I've got Cory's high exhaust (love it and has saved me further messing up my swing arm. I also have the 1 finger clutch. Game changer on long technical rides for sure. Saves the hands and forearm cramps. I also went with the TT lower and upper crash bars and they've been great and yes, the uppers have seen some actions on tight tracks in deep ruts and steep climbs, so well worth it IMO. Expensive but bomber.

I know you're thinking of the Camel Skid plate, but I went with the TT plate and its great, but if you have an OEM centre stand, you'll need 90mm bolts for the combo of lower crash bars and skid plate as all three use the same frame attachment place. The Camel plate would avoid this, but make sure it will fit with the TT lower crash bar geometry.

I also have the AS luggage rack and use Mosko Reckless 80 gear with it. Fantastic set up and great for day trips to mount a tool roll and have grab handles for falls.

I also upgraded to the 95 NM rear spring from Rally Raid and am very happy with it. Made a huge difference as before i had the preload maxxed without gear.

Not sure how tall you are (I'm 6'4" & 195l bs dry 210 wet (w/gear)), but the OEM Rally Seat is a game changer. I recently added Black Dog foot pegs which are 1/2" lower and makes the ergonomics soooo much more comfortable.

IMG_1510.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

• Like 2

Don't wait to install the uprated rear spring, you'll then notice what the bike should be like right from the beginning.

The rest of your list seems to make sense also. I went with SW for most of my protection items but I agree that from what I can read, both Camel an TT also offer great products. Mind what @Landshark wrote about proper rider protection gear. 

• Like 1

In my opinion suspension is where my money goes first.  Proper spring in the rear makes a huge difference.  You could get by with spacers in the forks to get proper sag, but a set of proper rate springs from Stoltec Moto is $100.  No brainer IMO.

Lots of options for the other stuff.  Don't forget about T-rex racing, they make an adjustable height centre stand which is a nice touch and the price is very good.  Website says they have them in stock and ships in less than 2 days.  I haven't used any of their products, but scan their website, they have lots of stuff for the T7 and made in Texas which is a good thing for North American customers.

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 1

I am 220 w/o gear. I changed the front and rear springs and it made the bike so much better. If you are a casual ADV rider and don't charge the roads and trails alot, then the stock suspension is adequate for sure, but the bike feels so much better planted now with proper springs for my weight. I was jumping fire breaks on the forest roads and the bike handles it so good with proper springs. 

I like non-metal skid plates. I use the AXP on my T7. Fits great and doesn't bend like an aluminum does and also does not vibrate and make noise if it comes loose a little like a metal plate will.

Honestly, next to the suspension mods, getting the ECU tuned is AWESOME! The bike is much smoother down low and rails up high. I sent mine to 2WD in Wa state. Very happy with the powerband now.

Lastly, AGREE 100% with CAMEL ADV exhaust kit. Great price, awesome fit and sounds sweet. 

Just remember, if you ride off road alot, you will drop your bike eventually. While I have Touratech upper crash bars and a ASpec rear rack/bars, if a 450 lb bikes lands on the crash bars, they will bend and you still could break a panel or do some damage, especially if you are cruising 15mph or greater. Hopefully they minimize the damage in a fall, but in my experience, soft bags in the back do more to protect the bike than hard bags will in a fall. Hard bags tend to break off, bend and rip and tear the mounts where soft bags move more freely and the bag will take the majority of the abuse-something to think about.

Edited by Firebolter