Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Helmet lock

Norm

Not a huge issue until some walks off with my new Arai. I miss my lock on the ol KLR. What do you folks do to keep your lid safe when you leave it with the bike? Maybe a simple cable lock is best and then I can also secure my riding jacket. Any great ideas out there?

Ive been using one of these for a few months, and Im happy with it. 

61UbYx0vhfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Thanks 1

To be honest, none of the 4 bikes I have owned had a helmet lock. I've always just brought it in with me wherever I am going, or left it with the bike if it's a a fairly trustworthy area and I won't be long. Sometimes I'll even hide it somewhere nearby, like behind some bushes, as stupid as that sounds.

I am considering picking up a cable lock, however. I've heard of people looping it through the chin bar of their helmet and the sleeve of their jacket to secure them both to the bike. I also have my comm unit and GoPro mounted on my helmet, so taking both of those off and bringing them with me is also a pain, hence me bringing my helmet with me in its entirety.

If you have a locking top case or really large side cases, you can even fit it in there.

I've returned to my bike to find some asshole has pushed it over, but never come back to have found anything stolen off my bike. Maybe I've just been lucky. Something something Canadians are too nice? I dunno.

Edited by TeabagInsurance
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I don't have the topbox I attach it with a cheap cable bike lock to the handlebars.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hogan said:

I bought a helmet lock off ebay, then made a bracket. It bolts to the LHS passenger peg mount and pokes out between the sub and main frame join.

Do you have a pic??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TBH I have never used a helmet lock ever in the 20 years I have had a bike. Usually just left it on the RHS Mirror or threaded it through rear pillion peg. Ive usually owned a $600AUD helmet. LUCK I GUESS

Pain Heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts forever 

I just bought a small Master pad lock, keyed alike so my key works for wife's too.

Place helmet on righthand mirror lock helmet "D ring" to throttle cable, just enough deterrent to prevent a snatch and grab.  

I have used this method for decades on many bikes, so far so good. Only use it for temporary situations, like going into restaurant or whatever not a overnight solution. 

25 minutes ago, Hogan said:

IMAG0201[1].jpg

IMAG0203[1].jpg

Thanks for that.

Where I'm Oz are you?

I use a combination cable lock that retracts from eBay works great for my helmet or bag the cable retracts and total length is about 1 metre about $5

ACBD4E81-4A88-4CA1-A0F1-B2F8E0A5E590.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve used gun lock cables on my bikes for a long time to prevent the quick grab and steal.

25F3A1CA-DAD9-49DA-8A1F-C8C8B45915AC.jpeg

• Like 3

This one is also not bad. Good quality:

helmet-hook-main-picture-text-url-grey-b

So, your helmet keeps falling off the bike? Boy, do I have a solution for you. Like many inventions and ideas, the Helmet Hook was born from frustration. I simply...

i've watched homeless guys urinate in helmets locked to bikes in San Francisco.
I've seen "biker boys" slice the strap and take helmets locked to bikes in Phoenix.

unless I have a lockable top box? ... I carry my helmet wherever I go.

• Sad 1

@cstatman

I escaped CA. long ago and wouldn't visit SF on a bet, sad it was a beautiful place forty years ago.

As far as slicing the strap which makes the helmet useless to anyone, you can't fix stupid. 

You must engage common since wherever you go and act accordingly.

I just stay away from those areas as a rule but granted the world is degrading rapidly, that's why I always have my CCW on me whenever I leave my peaceful little valley, if that's offensive to some all I have got to say is. "Come and Take it."

I have had it with this PC BS.

• Like 4

I run Cardo Packtalk coms on three of my helmets and sometimes a GoPro.

Since they are not exactly cheap electronics, my helmets usually go inside my top box or come with me.

Helmets without electronics I've used the factory helmet locks, loops under the seats, The Helmet Hook, dog choke chains with a padlock for locking a helmet and/or jacket onto the bike.

61FRMv-gn0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

I loathe carrying extra keys on my bike keyring, so when I saw this keyless combination helmet lock, I had to get one. I just mounted it up and it serves double duty by securing my tool tube cap.  Tons of mounting options, but I ended up not using the standoff bracket. For $13, it delivers in spades.

6bf8277d-883f-4142-9a69-7de2d03ab9c0.a7a

Free 2-day shipping. Buy LYUMO Motorcycle Password Helmet Lock Anti-Theft Accessory Fits for Kawasaki Vulcan S/ABS 2015-2020, Helmet Lock, Helmet Lock for Kawasaki at Walmart.com

20210608_135926.jpg

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 6/5/2021 at 3:12 AM, Southcoastbiker said:

I use a combination cable lock that retracts from eBay works great for my helmet or bag the cable retracts and total length is about 1 metre about $5

ACBD4E81-4A88-4CA1-A0F1-B2F8E0A5E590.jpeg

Those are nice because you can lock up your jacket along with helmet. 

I don’t over think stuff 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Charles De Mar
  • Like 6

Helmet Hanger - not a helmet lock.

242409711_helmethanger1.thumb.jpg.e6c300cc0db13ec1d81be5f5ad5694a9.jpg

I don't leave my helmet unattended, so no need for a helmet lock. However, I do stop, remove my helmet, and stay near the bike, so I need a place to put it that is not on the ground, won't fall on the ground, and won't knock my mirror out of alignment. It is simply a carabiner zip-tied to the rear rack. One on each side so the world doesn't get lopsided

1682524528_helmethanger2.thumb.jpg.991e1573ed12a25576a39005a2440bfb.jpg

I usually hang helmet off the left side since the right side could be toasty.

• Like 3