Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Beware of Corbin

acecase

Hello, I don't post here much, I primarily stick to my Facebook groups, but after posting there I was heavily encouraged to post my experience so far here.  If I have the wrong forum, please move this or tell me where I should post it.

Well Corbin has really gone downhill. They sold me a seat for my bike, and despite emails, pics, measurements, and two phone calls before I ordered it, it will not work with my luggage racks. Not only that, it has options on it that I did not order or want. I wondered if it is even my seat; someone else might have gotten mine. 

Christopher Keohane at Corbin customer service refused to even talk to me. He would not address any concerns and told me he was hanging up on me because he did not have time for me. The two emails he sent me were one line affairs that suggested I remove my racks. Nothing about the options on the seat he did not order. Nothing about the fact it doesn't fit to begin with. 

I am going to have to dispute the charge with my card, and thankfully I have emails and voicemails to back up my side. What really gets me is that I was told that this would fit my setup, and someone even called and had me check more measurements, then I get this, and it is not what I ordered at all. After he hung up on me I called back and the operator was going to have someone else call me back. No one did.

I will never buy another Corbin product, nor will I ever speak a good word about the company again.

PXL_20210604_170522945.jpg

PXL_20210603_004852346.jpg

PXL_20210603_003823144.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Have heard bad things about them in the past and the few seats I have seen were rock hard. Hope the CC refunds your money.  It doesn't look like it would have fit correctly with any type of rear rack.  I am guessing they a   no retunr policy but I can't find anything about returns on the website. 

The invoice states no returns.  I can't even talk to them on the phone about it.  Christopher Keohane in customer service said he did not have time to deal with me and hung up on me.  I most definitely did not get what I ordered, and they will not even talk to me.  The emails are worse, believe it or not.

Your rack has 2 different positions it can be mounted.

Yours is in the most forward position.  Why did you not move the rack back to the second position?  Looks like it will fit with it back another inch. 

2 minutes ago, williestreet said:

Your rack has 2 different positions it can be mounted.

Yours is in the most forward position.  Why did you not move the rack back to the second position?  Looks like it will fit with it back another inch. 

It would have to move back 1.5" to allow clearance, I'm still a 1/2" short.  You can see that in the pic below.  Unfortunately the real issue is the side bars.  The seat is too wide to fit between the bars on the side, which support the rear rack.  I also ordered it specifically without the rear hole.  

PXL_20210603_004859606.jpg

Edited by acecase
Added image.

I have a corbin on my ZRX.  It is a fantastic seat.  17 years old and it’s still like new.  I’ve never had a problem with it...

That said, I’ve had friends get the exact same seat same bike and have problems that Corbin refused to help in any way.  Corbin has always had the worst customer service.  I think they actually hate motorcyclists.  Buying from them is rolling the dice.  You could get a fantastic seat or you could have problems.  I’ve never heard an anecdotal story where Corbin ever actually took care of a customer’s issues.

Good luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, acecase said:

The invoice states no returns.  I can't even talk to them on the phone about it.  Christopher Keohane in customer service said he did not have time to deal with me and hung up on me.  I most definitely did not get what I ordered, and they will not even talk to me.  The emails are worse, believe it or not.

Corbin will never be a Vendor on any of my forums.  I have been pumping up Seat Concepts and setting up the group buy for a reason. 

Corbin, yeah, we make your ass hurt, but at least we are more expensive and refuse to talk to you! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I didn't know about the group buy when I ordered my Corbin.  I had one on my 2012 KLR650 for 180,000 miles, which is why I ordered it.  So much for brand loyalty.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one Corbin seat many years ago and thankfully had no issues. I liked the quality and comfort.  Since then (20+years) I've heard complaint after complaint about their customer service.  It has kept me from doing any business with them since. 

37 minutes ago, MCGMB said:

Curious to hear what's the latest on this situation?

Believe it or not, it gets worse.  Corbin ceased all contact with me, which was good for my dispute with my card company.  However once I opened the case, Corbin sent one email giving me a RMA number.  By agreeing to take it back, even with their 20% restocking fee an me paying $60 return shipping, they invalidate most disputes, because they are technically working with you.  I sent it back and have not had confirmation they received it, not have they credited it back to me.  Thankfully,I sent it I'd required, return receipt, so I have legal, admissable proof they received it.   They are still refusing to communicate with me, and I am moving forward with the legal claim that I did not receive what I ordered and what I received was their mistake.  So far my card company has been great.  They have told me Corbin will not respond to them either.  We are just waiting for the arbitration period to close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This company seems to have two kinds of customers....some love them and some hate them. No in between.  Frankly I have heard enough bad things over the years I wouldn't buy from them on bet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Way back when I was a 16yo street rider, they were known as "Corbin-Gentry" and made comfortable double bucket touring saddles. 

40+ years later they have morphed into making fashion statement ("gunfighter" is one model) seat, and the MoCo riders lap up their wooden bench hardness product as fast as they make it. 
I had one on my Kawasaki Concours. Took it off and put the stocker back on there. Never again.

OTOH, my Seat Concepts order was a bust, they sent the WRONG foam bun that didn't fit the seat cover. Took 2 months to straighten it out, they held me at arms-length, treated like a criminal, had to pay a second time and get credited later. Not good PR as THEY fecked up the order. The CORRECT answer should have been: "I see by the images you sent that is the wrong foam. I'll get the correct one right out, and I'll include a UPS call-tag to return the incorrect one. Sorry for the mistake."

But nope, kept telling me what he CAN'T do for me. One & done. 

• Sad 1

I'm happy you got a resolution.  I'm still letting card fraud handle my case 

92E0E1E4-BD24-4C6C-A365-B72057936FDD.thumb.jpeg.b3d63456fd02b86a3da425cc61101124.jpegThe Corbin shop in Ormand (Daytona) is huge. 
Soup nazi tactics. (Old SNL bit, google it)

Edited by concours

Thot about this awhile, if I should even comment, but it only seems fair that I share my experience with Corbin. I had a Corbin seat on an Africa Twin and liked it. This one on the T7 has been a big improvement, no fitting problem or company problems. I can see how with the luggage rack with no spacers to push it out a bit would be a conflict.

This is a Givi rack and Givi Outback Trekker topcase. I have to remove the topcase to remove the seat, as it is a close fit. But it works.

The comfort factor for me is much better than stock seat. Now, it is wider, so I used 1" lowering links to make my foot plant on the ground more secure.

I have something under a thousand miles on the seat, and Corbin says it can take 2 thousand miles to break in.  For me it is not perfection, but big improvement over stock and I am happy with it.

Sorry that others have not had such a good experience with them....

20210508_160245.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@TexasT700 That is a nice looking seat!

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

5 hours ago, TexasT700 said:

Thot about this awhile, if I should even comment, but it only seems fair that I share my experience with Corbin. I had a Corbin seat on an Africa Twin and liked it. This one on the T7 has been a big improvement, no fitting problem or company problems. I can see how with the luggage rack with no spacers to push it out a bit would be a conflict.

This is a Givi rack and Givi Outback Trekker topcase. I have to remove the topcase to remove the seat, as it is a close fit. But it works.

The comfort factor for me is much better than stock seat. Now, it is wider, so I used 1" lowering links to make my foot plant on the ground more secure.

I have something under a thousand miles on the seat, and Corbin says it can take 2 thousand miles to break in.  For me it is not perfection, but big improvement over stock and I am happy with it.

Sorry that others have not had such a good experience with them....

20210508_160245.jpg

I really wanted to like it.  The quality seemed high, I could not wait to try it.  Then I noticed the hole in the back and it would not fit.  Customer service hung up on me when I tried to tell them I did not receive what I ordered.  I don't know what's with the dichotomy of that company, but I will never forget my ongoing experience with them.  Two months after finally taking it back, they still have not refunded me.  They still are not communicating with me.  It's in my credit cards fraud division now.  I am truly happy that you have a product you like and can use.

I had few of their seats in the past and they were alright as for the company I never had issues with them also had a chance to meet Mike Corbin last time i was there maybe you should try to get a hold of him and explain the whole situation. just my .02$

8 minutes ago, Ainm Taispeána said:

I doubt Mike Corbin cares.  If my company got an "F" from the BBB, I'd be working hard to improve my reputation.  A company has to be willfully screwing customers to get that low of a score.  It isn't hard to get an "A" from the BBB.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/hollister/profile/motorcycle-supplies/corbin-pacific-inc-1216-207644

there is maybe 1% of people who actually go by BBB rating out there. And Mike actually does care he is an old school guy that takes pride in what his company does and how they do it. That is just what I got out of him when I met him. 

• Dislike 1