Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Installing pelican top box

Kmysiak

I have a few pelican boxes laying around and I think they would make a perfect top box for the rack. Does anyone have any experience doing a custom install like this?  I would prefer a locking mechanism which would allow me to unlock and take the pelican box off the bike. I have a touratech rack of that helps. 

On 6/14/2021 at 11:02 PM, Kmysiak said:

I have a few pelican boxes laying around and I think they would make a perfect top box for the rack. Does anyone have any experience doing a custom install like this?  I would prefer a locking mechanism which would allow me to unlock and take the pelican box off the bike. I have a touratech rack of that helps. 

I think you'll find a few YouTube video's where they mount the Harbor Freight Protective case as a top box.  Should be about the same if you don't mind drilling some holes.  I haven't seen one where the case is removable.  

I installed a metal Givi adapter plate to a Tusk rear top plate included with their robust side pannier rack. I recently found the Givi plate in storage left from my '07 KLR and experienced the inspiration.

I drilled holes in the Tusk rear top plate, used 3/8" or 5/16" stainless hex bolts, washers, nyloc nuts and a rubber like raised coin type garage floor tile trimmed to sandwich between the two metal plates. The Givi adapter plate has a deep U shaped front which allows space to remove the seat without removal of the top case.  Now, I'm able to quickly install and remove my V46 Givi top case.

I have seen Givi adapter hardware kits but don't know if they are suited for adapting to the Pelican case. You may find a quick release adapter better suited for the Pelican, perhaps a Caribou case adapter as they use a simlar case:

Do-It-Yourself motorcycle luggage mount kits for Pelican and other cases. Fits Hepco Becker, Givi, and SW Motech racks. Rugged, lockable and quick attach/release.

Edited by dmottv