Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

70mph droning noise from stock front tyre after 6k miles

Noel McCutcheon

• Premium Member

Anyone getting a similar annoying whining drone noise about 60 mph onwards from Pirelli Rally STR. I only noticed it after 6000 miles of use. Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Nearly 5,000 miles now on the original Rally STR tires on my T7, and the other day for the first time I noticed a cyclic droning tire noise at speed on the road. Not really bothersome, but it's definitely there. 

Impressed with how well these tires perform all-around and are wearing, with still at least one to two thousand miles left. I'll be replacing them soon for something more off-road aggressive though when I seal the rear rim to go tubeless.     

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My STR’s were completely shot at about 3,300 miles. The front was actually worse. It scalloped badly and did get noisy. I can’t imagine still running them for 3k more miles. 

19 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

My STR’s were completely shot at about 3,300 miles. The front was actually worse. It scalloped badly and did get noisy. I can’t imagine still running them for 3k more miles. 

I changed my rear at 12000 km and it still had a couple of mm left and the front is now on 13000km and will see the month out before I change it.

What to hell have you been doing to your tyres to get that mileage from the STR's..?

7 hours ago, electric_monk said:

I changed my rear at 12000 km and it still had a couple of mm left and the front is now on 13000km and will see the month out before I change it.

What to hell have you been doing to your tyres to get that mileage from the STR's..?

I tend to ride fairly aggressively both on and off the pavement. However I've never gotten  more than 4k miles out of any streetbike tire, so i didn't think 3k on these semi-knobbies was bad at all. 🤷‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I got a good 5000 miles out of the rear tyre before replacing it. Front I may replace before it’s worn out as noises and becoming vague felling Turing in.