Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Wiring question

kenack

Question

I'm trying to install a Garmin XT on my crossbrace above the dash and have gotten to the point that I have to run some wirng back to the battery. Is there an easy way to go under the gas tank or do I need to pull the side covers and gas tank?  

Thanks for any advice!

8 answers to this question

I'd recommend you have a look through the Tenere 700 Electrical section of this forum. Plenty of discussion, advice, and examples to be found there.

58 minutes ago, kenack said:

I'm trying to install a Garmin XT on my crossbrace above the dash and have gotten to the point that I have to run some wirng back to the battery. Is there an easy way to go under the gas tank or do I need to pull the side covers and gas tank?  

Thanks for any advice!

I would get the connectors for the power points already under the right side panel. There is a two pin connector good for 2A and a 3 pin connector with 2 hot leads and one ground good for 10 A. The matching 3 pin connectors are easy to get from Eastern Beaver and others. The 2 pin connectors are harder to find. 
These are pre wired, fused factory connection points that are power on only when the key is turned. Perfect for what you are trying to do. 

Or if you don’t mind hacking and slashing the wiring harness you can just cut the 2 wire connector off and solder or splice the XT power cable directly to it.  Your call. Either way much easier and better than running the XT power line all the way back to the battery. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the answers! I'll try to find the connectors because I will be doing heated grips in future. Any idea where to find the 2 pin connectors?

Thanks!

I wanted the right side power outlet with continuous power so I wired direct to the battery. I used a length of 1.6mm TIG wire to thread the 2 wires through the frame and up to the right hand side. I used a Merit socket ( left over from my BMW days ) and carefully fitted it into the existing hole. It is held in with friction and a tiny dob of superglue. I didn't need to take any panels of the fit any of the wiring.

I did use a 10A fuse at the battery connection.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

This is what I used @kenack and it was amazing. No need to go back to the battery, and it's switched power so no unnecessary draw. 

Power Leads for Aux Light Connector (DIY aux lights etc)

While you're at it, this is what I used to connect the Zumo XT to the cross brace.

HMU if you need any help, I can get you photos of my bike, but it's pretty straigtforward. 

On 6/16/2021 at 2:47 PM, kenack said:

Thanks for any advice!

the Eastern Beaver kit is great.  If you do have to run wires back to the battery, it' snot necessary to remove the tank.  Plenty of space and access to fish wires back there.  When running wires throughout the bike for an area like under the tank or around the engine, I like to use some sort of wire loom or sheath.  You can get the automotive stuff which is like the OEM flexible sheath's cable bundles are in.  Or the plastic stuff at the local auto parts store.  Sometimes I'll just use large diameter heat shrink tubing.  It's all extra protection from abrasion.

J