Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

[Insert Creative Build Title Here] by AdvRallyMoto

advrallymoto

A little background:  I wasn't planning on getting a new bike anytime soon.  I sold my last one to make time for my business and I needed some funds to get some stuff going.  I lived in a more congested area and didn't find myself riding that much anyway.  So the KLR I had outfitted got sold off.  Plus, I had kind of sworn off single cylinder bikes for road use as I'm just not a fan.  So I told myself that if I were to get another bike I'd want something smoother with more power.  So fast forward two years, we'd moved to a nicer area with access to better riding roads, fire roads, camping, etc.  Honestly, I was really close to getting a cruiser of some sort just for little rides here and there on local backroads.

Now, I'd known of the T7 for a few years since they debuted the concept...but I figured it was out of reach at the time and since it wasn't available I put it to the back of my mind.  A friend traded in his Super Tenere and taken possession of his T7 in the end of last year and had been singing its praises.  When I really got the itch to get a bike I figured, what the heck, I'll see if I can find a T7 and at least check it out.  Well, I just happened to find what may have been the last one available on the East coast (I say that jokingly, but it could very well be true).  It had come in the day before and had not been preordered.  They said they had a lot of interest already and that I should put a deposit down over the phone (sight unseen) if I wanted it.  So I took the bait and picked it up the next day (April 16th).

So I jokingly said the friend of mine that already had his T7, "I'm not going to change a bunch of things right away.  I'm just going to ride it for a while and get used to it, then maybe I'll be able to make better decisions."  🤣  Ok, so that didn't last long.  I'll try and do a post here for each specific mod, but I wasn't planning on documenting it all, so it's not extremely detailed.

I've posted up a fair amount of my mods in different specific threads on the forum, but I thought I'd consolidate them here.  

Here it was as I picked it up:

73EC1A5A-1C52-40D5-9678-70261A2126C9.thumb.jpg.5a665983460f93a10d3bf126109a38ba.jpg

• Like 2

So there were only a couple things from factory that I hated.  The rear fender extension being the most egregious.

IMG_1796.thumb.JPG.f7db4a7c8a404e8342931dc6dd24a19f.JPG

So I ordered a tail tidy and fixed the issue...much better:

64378299938__535AC7E3-6F59-4EE4-BFB8-AD4950E161BF.thumb.JPG.c3903cad8dae1dab83652484a07fe49a.JPG

And the unused portion of the tail section (including fasteners) was a reduction of 2lbs 2oz:

IMG_1807.thumb.JPG.16ff493c3f0d982c74bac930fd59cd37.JPG

Edited by advrallymoto
  • Like 1

I had done some trips when I had my previous bikes (250 and 650) and really missed the idea of traveling or at least exploring.  So I knew I'd need a GPS.  Did some research and decided on the Zumo XT with a Motopumps mount.  No issues and install went smoothly.  I didn't wire it into the keyed circuit yet so for now its direct to the battery, but I will change that once I need to take the tank off.

957672352_IMG_17452.thumb.JPG.6d16a490ce6b5f0eca795a755cac0aeb.JPG

• Like 1

I actually removed passenger footpegs and the reflector bracket off the rear tail section prior to doing the tail tidy.  That alone was a reduction of 2lbs 9.4 oz:

IMG_1706.thumb.JPG.6f02983f5d1d3af5f4034a2abbdf3af7.JPG

Now my main goal is not to get this bike as light as humanly possible, but obviously, it's a good thing.  As I go along, I'll try to be weight conscious and drop what I can.

The passenger footpeg holes got plugged with some nylon flush fasteners from McMaster Carr.  A little teflon tape makes them fit snugly and seals it up to prevent moisture from getting in the frame...at least better than if it was wide open:

IMG_1741.thumb.JPG.e19145bf00e6a7462859b3857a588ed7.JPG

Edited by advrallymoto
  • Like 2

Also from McMasterCarr are these black Nylon fasteners that I sourced to replace the bolts on the bottom of the fork protectors.  They look better than the white ones IMO.  Most people are probably aware of this, and Rally Raid sells versions of this.  But they keep the lower fork casting from being busted off when your protector decides to eat a big rock:

IMG_1740.thumb.JPG.bfa37a1cf5eefb7792bf228cf3ab5e51.JPG

• Like 1

Next up were some pegs.  I saw @Rival Componentposted up a discount code for this forum and their pegs looked great so I gave them a try.  They've been amazing.  I really like them and highly recommend them:

CD69B26B-311C-437C-88C8-E531C00AE8E4.thumb.jpg.eb4e60fabc2831432c24779b5067fc83.jpg692D15DF-B3C0-45CD-8D63-B19A6A55B3D3.thumb.jpg.f6c2386b18c17da3eec78137cc69e263.jpg

Bonus, you get to drop about 4oz per side, so a half pound of weight savings ain't too shabby. 

• Like 2

I've always changed out my bars.  In the past it was because I had 7/8" steel bars on everything.  This time the bike came with nicely made, tapered aluminum bars, but I'm 6'4" and standing I was hunched over more than I wanted to be.  So I decided to try the protaper adventure bars.  Plus I knew I wanted barkbusters, so I ordered the hardware kit for the tapered protaper bars and some Storm guards.  I also bought a Rally Raid top clamp, as I do prefer single piece top clamps, and this one gives me options for mounting things in the future should I need it.  Also, tried and true Progrip 714's:

IMG_1856.thumb.JPG.7d18b49942b1989630a0a997cc162866.JPG

I was waiting on the hardware kit at the time of these pics but everything went on smoothly and my math worked out, MUCH better when standing and actually when sitting it's a comfortable position for me:IMG_1858.thumb.JPG.ade47f8823305a63c77dec05ffb63518.JPG

As far as weight, the adventure bar was 4oz heavier than the factory bar, however, the bar ends were several ounces each, so I think it was pretty much a wash by the time the dust settled.  The barkbusters will make it a net gain in weight, but I am planning on switching mirrors to doubletakes...so I'm figuring it should all even out, or pretty close 👍

• Like 1

It's obviously a good idea to ride in between modifications so you can feel the impact each change has on the bike.  If you have a negative impact and have changed 100 things, it's tough sometimes to narrow down the culprit:

IMG_1871.thumb.JPG.8daeeaa4cc79b28f9f96dde114fdb1ef.JPG

• Like 1

This isn't really a change to the bike, per-say, but I decided on Mosko luggage after a lot of reading and speaking with people who have lots miles on their gear than me.  After getting the tank bag in, I really like the organization of it, something that other bags are lacking.  In a perfect world it would be a more waterproof outer shell and not need a rain cover, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for the utility of it.  Very impressed with the quality and am looking forward to picking up a Reckless 80 system when they're back in stock.

370E6C15-AC9A-4BAC-AC4B-1F710BF0F46B.thumb.jpg.b00655a609333cdcf989afde4d748ca5.jpg

Barkbusters hardware came in and I finally got them installed also.  The storm guards are not my favorite, style wise, but I wanted some for more protection from wind/rain, and I think these will fit the bill nicely.  I also might order some VPS guards just to have and switch them out depending on the season.  

27D5D5A8-58DF-4141-9F7F-44A1FB5235A7.thumb.jpg.388f7971e863a44fa3211fde3d1e0b63.jpg

• Like 2

Next up, my SW Motech skid plate and crash bars were delivered.  I was still waiting on a graphics kit from Crispy Designs, so I didn't install the bars at first.  The skid plate went on with no problems.  I chose this one because of the larger amount of coverage over the front of the bike, specifically the headers.  The downside is that their skid is heavy.  But the weight is as low as it gets and the trade off is worth it for me:

5D085CBC-A2E8-45E3-AA0D-CB3709A7FC9B.thumb.jpg.d5832306620d161ad27763476cc38eaa.jpg

B49F3DBE-CD49-4CB4-9BF4-1FDAF9EEA059.thumb.jpg.97c1571deede77fc63fcccdc34ca9634.jpg

But here's the weight difference if you are interested (not counting the steel mounting bars):

IMG_1950.thumb.JPG.af18c596516bad9dcb3d0f512dfd77f6.JPGIMG_1951.thumb.JPG.6c103a6e4c5135b33b27c9252b015426.JPG

Edited by advrallymoto
  • Like 1

So here's the graphics kit I was waiting on.  I had it customized a bit:

IMG_1821.thumb.PNG.775ebf66bba7ca8e8403f2c7f4987e52.PNG

It finally arrived after it's cross Atlantic trip:

IMG_2013.thumb.JPG.ae00efbd150e2e109ce0195a5b4bd6f8.JPG

• Like 1

I made sure to degrease each area where I was applying first.  Then I did an extra rinse with fresh water.  Followed by a thorough wipe down with alcohol.  The install went pretty smoothly, but there are a few things I'd do differently.  I did get some small bubbles here and there but evidently a lot of them will dissipate with time.  I'm not a professional graphics installer by any stretch, but when it really comes down to it, and these things are technically disposable.  So I'm not too worried.  The look and the protection are the main things I wanted.  The tank will now be better protected from the tank bag, and the Reckless 80 system will have 500micron vinyl to sit on instead of paint in the rear:

IMG_2022.thumb.JPG.b221ef00c16092db8f1768da8dc87627.JPG

• Like 7

Now that the graphics were on I was ready to get the crash bars installed.  I chose the SW Motech's as I'd used a set on my KLR and was impressed with their protection.  I like the way these mount on the T7 compared to others, the materials they use, as well as how they look when installed.  Some bars just look like they're made for a different bike and don't add to the overall look, which certainly isn't my first priority, but it's a nice bonus.  Also, radiator protection was on the top of the list for me. 

There was one little snafu during the install process which I don't want to relive 😒 But it all worked out and I think everything is fine now.  Long story short, be mindful that every mounting bolt to the engine and every spacer are different lengths.  Even though I knew this and laid everything out and read the instructions multiple times, it was still an issue.  

F29B4F9C-0EB5-464C-82BE-9B5CB93AB71F.thumb.jpg.fe39b274287751bf64736eadc688604f.jpgIMG_2032.thumb.JPG.38ea5d2034a47e26fcb68d5d79857e41.JPG

• Like 2

Good job.  The bike looks like you own it.  Now get out there and get it dirty.  😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Landshark said:

Good job.  The bike looks like you own it.  Now get out there and get it dirty.  😉

Yeah, been getting out as I can.  New baby has me limited at the moment.  TAT planned for the fall so I'm just trying to get it sorted by then.  Next year (if Canada opens) we're planning a Nova Scotia trip.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 6/19/2021 at 1:57 PM, advrallymoto said:

Also from McMasterCarr are these black Nylon fasteners that I sourced to replace the bolts on the bottom of the fork protectors.  They look better than the white ones IMO.  Most people are probably aware of this, and Rally Raid sells versions of this.  But they keep the lower fork casting from being busted off when your protector decides to eat a big rock:

IMG_1740.thumb.JPG.bfa37a1cf5eefb7792bf228cf3ab5e51.JPG

Did you end up buying a bag of the nylon fastners?  If so, are you wiling to sell me a few and drop them in the mail?

On 6/19/2021 at 12:49 PM, advrallymoto said:

I had done some trips when I had my previous bikes (250 and 650) and really missed the idea of traveling or at least exploring.  So I knew I'd need a GPS.  Did some research and decided on the Zumo XT with a Motopumps mount.  No issues and install went smoothly.  I didn't wire it into the keyed circuit yet so for now its direct to the battery, but I will change that once I need to take the tank off.

957672352_IMG_17452.thumb.JPG.6d16a490ce6b5f0eca795a755cac0aeb.JPG

I don’t know if you’ve made the change on your wiring to the keyed on connectors yet or not. But just in case you haven’t- no need to take the tank off to do so. Their located under each front side shroud FYI. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

@advrallymoto Nice build you have going.  Back on your second post your tail tidy looks clean while retaining the oem lic plate light and signals.  What brand of tail tidy is that and are you still happy with the mod?

Also, I has ordered speed blocks from Crispy Designs last year, but the Euro red color did match the US red ( marooon) so I never used them. Your kit looks really good, did they change red to match the US color or did you have to cover up all the oem red paint?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

On 10/21/2021 at 11:58 PM, DT675 said:

I don’t know if you’ve made the change on your wiring to the keyed on connectors yet or not. But just in case you haven’t- no need to take the tank off to do so. Their located under each front side shroud FYI. 

Yeah, I saw that.  I'm going to be running everything to a fusebox under the seat though.  

On 10/23/2021 at 2:28 PM, AZJW said:

@advrallymoto Nice build you have going.  Back on your second post your tail tidy looks clean while retaining the oem lic plate light and signals.  What brand of tail tidy is that and are you still happy with the mod?

Also, I has ordered speed blocks from Crispy Designs last year, but the Euro red color did match the US red ( marooon) so I never used them. Your kit looks really good, did they change red to match the US color or did you have to cover up all the oem red paint?

Thanks.  It is a T-Rex racing tail tidy that I modified to take the OEM license plate light.  It's pretty simple and only entails drilling a couple holes.  Very happy with it how it turned out.  The T-Rex tidy is similar to many others, including ebay versions I'm sure.  Plus I wasn't happy that they stuck me with additional shipping by not sending the part correctly, but that's another story.

The red in the decal kit was definitely a different red than the US red on my bike, but so much is covered up its really a non-issue to me.  

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 12:00 PM, Frances said:

Did you end up buying a bag of the nylon fastners?  If so, are you wiling to sell me a few and drop them in the mail?

Yes, send me a message and I'll get you sorted out.

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.