Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Careud TPMS fail

Hammerhead

Having gone tubeless, i was quite fond of this little gadget & it has performed well for less than a year….until now. 
   Embarrassingly, this had me baffled for too long before the light bulb finally came on. 
   Definitely some frustrating irony sensed when the tech becomes the very source of the problem you’re using it to mitigate. Psssssssss.

Rear valve cap sensor is a blow out. Front still holding it’s own. Sadly, my trust & admiration of this affordable little system is also deflated.

If you’re rolling the Careud TPMS  with external cap sensors, keep your eyes peeled (& pump handy!)

012F8A37-CC99-46BD-8FD1-278D05F5498B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Update; 

Issue bandaided with copious quantities of teflon thread tape applied to the valve stem. Not that I want to be mucking about with that every time the cap comes off to air up or down, but at least it’s something of a fix for now. Running the system with only the front sensor active displays a constant flashing warning of a rear flat. Investigating the availability of buying cap sensors separately, but not holding my breath on that. 

• Moderators

Bummer. Hopefully this isn't a pattern and maybe an isolated incident?   I'd like to think I can depend on mine, but come to think of it, I haven't needed them in the past 55 yrs of riding. Still, technology is great, when it works! 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Right?! When it works, instead of backfiring…. Hopefully isolated.  First I’ve ever used of them & seemed trusty…In fairness, it did alert me to the problem that IT was causing. Happily return to old school gauge practices. But with the non tubeless rim conversion up front, these are definitely the preferred way to keep informed.. One of the worst get off’s i’ve experienced was courtesy of a front flat that I didn’t see coming.

I had a leaky sensor too.  Take the sensor apart where the battery is housed, put a little vaseline type lube on the oring seal, stopped my leak.  Going on 5000km now since the fix.  It wasnt my stem that was leaking, it seemed to come through the actual sensor element into the plastic body, essentially pressurising the battery compartment. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colddog said:

I had a leaky sensor too.  Take the sensor apart where the battery is housed, put a little vaseline type lube on the oring seal, stopped my leak.  Going on 5000km now since the fix.  It wasnt my stem that was leaking, it seemed to come through the actual sensor element into the plastic body, essentially pressurising the battery compartment. 

Ya thanks, my immersion test revealed the cap seal wasn’t the problem, but the valve stem threads were. Hence the T tape solving it. (Was kinda hoping it was the battery compartment, then I wouldn’t need to be messing with T tape every time the cap comes off)

• Like 1