Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Totally Disgusted

Darkestarc

So, today was the day I finally took delivery of the T7 I've been waiting months for.  It was a 2.5 hr. drive to get to the dealership.  (all my local dealers have their inventory with deposits well into 2022).  When I arrived delivery was really quick and smooth.  Paid cash, and sent in my info ahead of time so my paperwork was done.   It was a week and a half prior to today that I was informed the bike had arrived.  It was then that I told my salesperson that I would be picking up today.  As I finished my paperwork, I waited outside for some time.  I was told by my salesperson that the tech was finishing up the state inspection.  I found that odd that they had a week and a half notice and was just doing the state inspection.   The tech finally emerged from the service bay and took a quick drive up and down the road shifting through all the gears.  He came back and drove the the bike right into the back of my truck (they had a tailgate level loading area).  I noticed the ABS LED was lit on the cluster as he rode onto my truck and assumed it was an indicator letting you know the ABS was active and thought nothing of it.  I drove another 2.5 hrs. home totally stoked about my new bike.   

I unloaded my T7 and immediately took it for a spin.   I was within 15 seconds that I noticed that my speedo was reading a constant 0 MPH.  I stopped and wondered if it was in some mode that was causing this.  I cycled the buttons on the cluster and nothing changed this issue.  I also noticed that when I cycled to display the mileage it was at 0 as well.   I immediately turned around and called the dealership to see if there was some kind of cluster reset.   My salesperson transferred me to the tech that rode my bike this morning.  He said there is no reset.  I then asked him how did he not notice that the speedo was not working.  He claimed that he was focused on the gear indicator and didn't notice the speedo.   For real!?!   You didn't notice a big glaring 0 in your face while riding the bike?  After a bunch of banter, he said he was sorry and since I was so far away best option was to have a local dealer look at it.  Guess what, the soonest appointment I can get is 4 weeks out!  

I tried some diagnostics as an internet search yielded no results,  I checked all the fuses and they were good and the ABS sensors passed the visual check.   I resorted to the owners manual and now I was really pi$$ed.  I found out the ABS LED that I thought was to indicate ABS on was in fact the ASB failure light!!!    The manual says the light should go off once above 6MPH.  To my knowledge, the pre delivery inspection should have taken note to both the speedo and ABS issues.  Additionally, PA state inspection mandates a working speedometer and odometer to pass.  PA state inspection also requires mileage to be recorded. Didn't the tech find it odd that the bike had 0 miles on it after a drive?   

I really bummed because this is the first bike (I've owned 17) I ever bought brand new in my 50 years and I had to wait so long for it.  This has totally ruined the joy I was anticipating.

In short, I was delivered a bike with a non-working speedometer, a non-working odometer, and an ABS failure.  I emailed the manager twice today with the information above and got no reply.

If anyone has any other ideas on what I can check it will be greatly appreciated.  As for now, I get to wait another month to ride the bike that's sitting in my garage................

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

@Darkestarc

Wow that really sucks, which dealer was that so we can stay away.

Not sure where the speed-o gets it info, but check the front wheel and make sure they didn't put it on backwards the ABS sensor is on the left side, you will notice to the inside of brake rotor a black ring with notches in it, that should be on the left, if he put the wheel on back wards that would account for the ABS lite staying on. 

• Like 2

Thanks Utah!  I already verified that.   I didn't post the dealership name as I will give the manager a chance to reply to me.  If I don't hear form them by Monday, I'll post it as a PSA.

Edited by Darkestarc

@Darkestarc

I feel for you, it seems like the only issues I have herd of with the T7 is all related to improper set-up or service. I have around 6000mi. on mine and the only issues where parts I had to replaced from crashing it, (first bike I have crashed that still had the paper plates on it). Other than that my wife's and mine have been bullet proof. I got lucky and got mine a year ago today and my wife had to wait tell Nov. for hers.

• Like 1

Darkestarc, that really sucks! I bet when its all sorted out it will be a ham fisted setup by a "tech" who is on the way out of a job. But I gotta tell you, I waited months for mine, drove 9 hrs round trip to get it, picked it up just over a week ago and have been amazed at what a fine ,amazing bike it is. You wont be disappointed, I can assure you. I once bought a DR650 that had a from new oil leak that took two dealerships and a regional service manager to be resolved. But they got it right and it was a GREAT bike. So hang in there , they will get it ironed out.

• Like 2

All of these bikes are tested at the factory for proper operation, then the wheel is removed for transport.

I would be guessing/hoping it is something as simple as a problem with the front speedo pickup. 

Since the dealer installs the wheel I would be betting they installed something incorrectly causing maybe too large a gap at the sensor and it can't pickup the turning rotor.

Give it a good check over.  Maybe remove and reinstall the wheel, remove and install the sensor.  Wheel spacers installed correctly?  Make sure the wheel is not installed backwards.

If you can get the front wheel off the ground, remove the sensor from the fork and spin the wheel.  use your hand and put the sensor near the speedo rotor as the wheel turns with the bike on.  Check if you can get the speedo to pick up a speed holding the sensor. 

The Abs fault is because the bike sees rear wheel speed and no front wheel speed.  When you fix the speedo issue the abs fault will likely go away.

Edited by williestreet
  • Like 4

• Moderators

@DarkestarcBummer on the dealer's tech failure to deliver a functional bike and hopefully they'll make things right quickly.  Once you have the final word from your dealer, feel free to detail your experiences here. 

When checking your front wheel over,  be sure to check the caliper clearance as it's been a dealer assembly issue for some of us.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Check and see if the front wheel was installed backwards.  Easy fix if thats the problem.  If its backwards the ABS won't work nor will the speedo show speed.

Its easy to check the ABS ring on the wheel needs to be on left side.

Edited by Simmons1
  • Like 2

Tenere 700 / Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750

Fazemon,  Thanks for the encouraging words.  I know it will be ironed out whether they own up to it or my local dealer fixes it.  Just frustrating looking at it just sitting here in my garage.  :)

Williestreet,

Thanks for that info!  I plan on doing that tomorrow morning.  What you state makes complete sense.  Cheers to you  in Nova Scotia from Pennsylvania USA!

@Darkestarc

Since it is setting take some pics and post them, we will all give it the Ooh and Ah that it deserves.

5 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@DarkestarcBummer on the dealer's tech failure to deliver a functional bike and hopefully they'll make things right quickly.  Once you have the final word from your dealer, feel free to detail your experiences here. 

I will.  Thanks!

Edited by Darkestarc

5 minutes ago, Simmons1 said:

Check and see if the front wheel was installed backwards.  Easy fix if thats the problem.  If its backwards the ABS won't work nor will the speedo show speed.

Already check.  It is on correctly.  Thank you.

9 minutes ago, williestreet said:

All of these bikes are tested at the factory for proper operation, them the wheel is removed for transport.

I would be guessing/hoping it is something as simple as a problem with the front speedo pickup. 

Since the dealer installs the wheel I would be betting they installed something incorrectly causing maybe too large a gap at the sensor and it can't pickup the turning rotor.

Give it a good check over.  Maybe remove and reinstall the wheel, remove and install the sensor.  Wheel spacers installed correctly?  Make sure the wheel is not installed backwards.

If you can get the front wheel off the ground, remove the sensor from the fork and spin the wheel.  use your hand and put the sensor near the speedo rotor as the wheel turns with the bike on.  Check if you can get the speedo to pick up a speed holding the sensor. 

The Abs fault is because the bike sees rear wheel speed and no front wheel speed.  When you fix the speedo issue the abs fault will likely go away.

Williestreet,

Thanks for that info!  I plan on doing that tomorrow morning.  What you state makes complete sense.  Cheers to you  in Nova Scotia from Pennsylvania USA!

• Moderators

Well, at least the dealer sold you the right color!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks to all who posted this evening.  What a GREAT forum!   I'm calling it a night and I'll update my findings tomorrow.  I'm going to take the front wheel off, check the spacers and do what Williestreet suggested.

• Like 5

Good Luck, the dealer should make it right. I'd say they should pick it up and deliver it back to you. I agree with the others I bet its something simple they missed when they assembled the bike. 

You are not alone on this scenario. My bike was put together by the homeless guy living behind the dealership, or at lest it looked like it. Brand new all shiny, you don't notice the obvious right away, until you get home... Well, ALL my plastics were assembled incorrectly by the 'tech'. Fender cable routing was ALL wrong. Both battery cables were loose. Hard to describe the fairing plastics, they were so FU'ed. And the last straw, here are the brake pads I removed for an upgrade posted below.

I have not been to the dealer yet, as my wife is recovering from a major medical issue that sidelined life for the last three months, but this week I have time to wander over and ask WTF?

Stand your ground and make them fix the bike. I am not sweating mine so much because I have had wrenches in my hands for 50+ years and fix all my own stuff, and I didn't take photos to capture all the mis-assembling. But wrong is wrong.

Edit: Oh, and my front tire is a defective Pirelli. Properly seated on rim, but tread wanders which in turn induces a headshake.

T7 LF Brake pads.jpg

T7 RF Brake pads.jpg

Edited by worncog
  • Sad 1

Maybe there should be a box you tick when ordering to say “I’ll build it myself, thanks, don’t touch it.” 
looks like they fitted those pads with a tyre iron. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AZJW said:

Well, at least the dealer sold you the right color!

That was part of the long wait. :) 

38 minutes ago, worncog said:

You are not alone on this scenario. My bike was put together by the homeless guy living behind the dealership, or at lest it looked like it. Brand new all shiny, you don't notice the obvious right away, until you get home... Well, ALL my plastics were assembled incorrectly by the 'tech'. Fender cable routing was ALL wrong. Both battery cables were loose. Hard to describe the fairing plastics, they were so FU'ed. And the last straw, here are the brake pads I removed for an upgrade posted below.

I have not been to the dealer yet, as my wife is recovering from a major medical issue that sidelined life for the last three months, but this week I have time to wander over and ask WTF?

Stand your ground and make them fix the bike. I am not sweating mine so much because I have had wrenches in my hands for 50+ years and fix all my own stuff, and I didn't take photos to capture all the mis-assembling. But wrong is wrong.

Edit: Oh, and my front tire is a defective Pirelli. Properly seated on rim, but tread wanders which in turn induces a headshake.

T7 LF Brake pads.jpg

T7 RF Brake pads.jpg

Wow.  What a hack job.  Sorry you had to deal with both those issues.