Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Leatt - Body Armor and Protector 6.5, Neck brace GPX 5.5, and Knee & Shin Guard Dual Axis

REDHORSECA

Time for my Power Ranger getup.. lol

This is what I currently wear and so do many of my ADV and MX motorcycle friends.

Leatt has recently released their Body Protector 6.5 a few months back. Not as bulky and is more refined than their 5.5 series that is still available.

Leatt Body Protector 6.5 is basically two pieces. 

A ventilated zippered compression suit with shoulder and elbow EN1621-1 (Level 1) armor and a kidney belt that can be worn under a Jersey or on top.

Hard shell Chest protector with front, back, and both side armor EN1621-2 (Level 2) . Can be worn on the outside of the jersey and worn by itself without the body suit. It's  neck brace compatible with front and rear upper removable panel to facilitate a neck brace.

• Hard shell and 3DF AirFit ventilated soft impact foam
  • CE tested and certified as impact protection: Chest prEN1621-3 Level 2
  • Back EN1621-2 Level 2 | Elbow and Shoulder EN1621-1
  • Our 3D design ensures a great fit that is very comfortable
  • Separate Anti-odor modular central zip-up compression sock with built in elbow and shoulder protection designed for maximum airflow, evaporation and ultimate comfort
  • Kidney belt with height adjustability for best body fit
  • Flank panels for added side protection
  • FIM - International Motorcycle Federation Certified
  • FFM - French Motorcycle Federation Certified
  • Multi-layer, multi-plate articulating design
  • Removable front and rear plate function and BraceOnTM neck brace fitting system for over / under shirt Leatt® neck brace fit
  • Weight: 2.500g (5.5lbs)
  • Unisex Fit: S-XXL 160-196cm 5ft3”-6ft 5”

leatt-bodyprotector-6-5-frontright-50214  716KD7BxqRL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

Leatt Brace GPX 5.5 Neck Brace

I got this more for protecting my collarbone. As my broken collarbone from decades past crash healed up weird. Sticks out more than the non broken one.

Independent neck brace study – Independent off-road motorcycle study by Great Lakes EMS Inc (Action Sports EMS) show that Neck braces offer:

• Up to 89% reduction in critical cervical spine injuries
  • Collarbone injuries up to 45% MORE likely WITHOUT a neck brace

As used by Leatt Athletes globally, the GPX 5.5 neck brace is the class leader and the choice of champions in Motocross, Enduro and Rally. Its lightweight, fully adjustable and manufactured from (ver 6.5 is made with Carbon Fiber), what more would you want?
The brace is designed to allow the forces during an accident to be reduced and transferred through the brace into the strong muscles of the body rather than the small fragile bones in the neck. Feel protected and ride with confidence.

717Pqrn1WpL._AC_SL1303_.jpg

71YaPCFvuWS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also wear their Leatt Knee & Shin Guard Dual Axis:

These work great and are very flexible. Dozens and dozens of hard crashes and knees and shin have never gave me grief.

leatt-kneeshinguard-dualaxis-white-right

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 2

Nice kit. What do you use as a jacket, pants and boots?  

I was looking at the Leatt GPX 6.5 Carbon Neck Brace which I assume is similar to 5.5 in carbon and lighter?

• An old set of TLD MX pants and Jersey. I have a new set of TLD Scout SE ADV gear ordered.
  • FormaTerra EVO high
  • I just had a down feather jacket for the 10PM night ride home from the  Big Bear mountain at last weekend's ADV rally camp & ride, altitude ranges from 6,750 to 9,000 feet.
  • I usually wear a KLIM Induction jacket in the summer months with CE Level 2 armor. I'll order a KLIM Badlands jacket and pants when winter is near. KLIM stocking issues with the color and sizes I want.

Yes, only real difference between the $400 DBX 6.5 (600g) is made in carbon fiber and the $312 GPX 5.5 (790g) is made of reinforced polyamide. Besides the some cosmetic colors and styling.

I wear the armored suit portion under my jersey.

euVTFkY.jpg

wSN5MWO.jpg

mCAQGyq.jpg

Edited by REDHORSECA

• 1 year later...

I have the same set-up as well, but just recently purchased the 5.5 neck brace (I have the street brace, but doesn't work with any of the Leatt dirt-series armor.  I am, however, having some fitment issues between the neck brace, armor, and helmet.  Did it take you some time to get the fit straight?

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, gilligandavis said:

I have the same set-up as well, but just recently purchased the 5.5 neck brace (I have the street brace, but doesn't work with any of the Leatt dirt-series armor.  I am, however, having some fitment issues between the neck brace, armor, and helmet.  Did it take you some time to get the fit straight?

If you include @  in front of the poster you are addressing,  they will be notified of your request.  @REDHORSECA hasn't been on the board for over 90 days so it might be awhile before he responds. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 3 weeks later...

I Just made a video of the Body Protector 6.5

So bummed out of cracking ribs, so I powered up from the 3D irritated lite..  
Not that I will be invincible LOL, but a bit better protected now hehe

• Like 1