Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere Newbie upgrades!?

Wushuplayer

Hi all,

I'm just about to buy a Tenere 700 and wanted to ask what upgrades would be a must have if buying new from a Yamaha dealer, if any at all?! 

I'm mainly going to use it for touring, motocamping, and very little off road at this stage.

Would really appreciate your advice. 

Seat, maybe.  Stock is not exactly very touring friendly, but neither is the rally seat on the other hand. Great off road, slightly softer than original on road. Seat Concepts has some nice touring seats with smaller price.

If you're driving in cold weather heated grips will be nice, though my personal opinion is that oxfords grips are better than Yamahas.

Panniers are and pannier racks are ok, but I can't really comment on that being a rackless soft pannier system  fanboy (= mosko moto reckless 😁). 

In general none of the yamaha originals is a must in my opinion. But they might be very convenient, if you don't have a place and/or know how to install third party accessories on your own or you don't have a trusted dealer/shop that will install them for you.

• Like 2

Thanks Hobes. Just a quick look through of this forum seems to be along the same thinking, after market seems to be better than OEM! 

I'm also swaying towards a rackless soft panier system.

The dealer could probably do a deal on the Akro exhaust, which I like the sound of but I've heard the bracket as a problem with bending and causing the exhaust to rub on the swing arm. (hence the high Camel exhaust) Although I probably won't be doing much technical riding at this stage it probably won't be a problem. What do you think?

@Wushuplayer If you are no planning to spend time off road, you have other worries than exhaust bracket bending if you drop the bike. That's really more of on issue off road when dropping the bike is part of the hobby...

In a way the whole exhaust issue is kind of oxymoron. If you ride your bike like an off road bike and drop it often, something will break and you will get scratches. You will weld stuff and fix broken parts. In that context, one bent exhaust bracket is just a drop in a sea. If you on the other hand try not to drop your bike, it's very unlikely that you ever even will have a bent bracket. I think the much bigger issue are the ABS fairing that will crack when dropped.

I've dropped mine couple of times on the exhaust side. Once it bent  slightly but because I knew what I was looking, some TLC from my riding boot and all that was left was few more new scratches to remind me from my adventure. Sooner or later that bracket will crack but that's why I have welding machine in my garage.

• Like 2

Wush, sounds like your riding would suit the factory hard cases just fine. I  prefer them for mainly road touring over soft bags, which I have also. Boxes made by Givi, but branded Yamaha, so very  good quality. Easy on, easy off, and much more convenient than the softies

I personally sprung for the Travel Pack offered by Yamaha. Hard cases, engine bars.... and oh yes, a center stand. I like that as much as any accessory, except maybe the hard cases. I use the center stand more than I use the boxes, bars, etc.

I also got a Mosko Moto Hood tank bag, an Atlas throttle lock for cruise control.  And I really like the standard factory seat a lot, but put a Beadrider seat cover on. Very comfy, easy to move around changing pressure points. I like the narrowness of seat, and you can slide around fore and aft easily, and stand easily for knee relief. Wind protection is fine, but I clamped on a small lip extender, so all the bugs go over my helmet

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wushuplayer said:

wanted to ask what upgrades would be a must have

You just opened Pandora's box...

My "must have" item is the chain guide. You hardly ever see an off-road bike without one.

Just think how easily a stick can get sucked in between the chain and sprocket.

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

@Hibobb we all have our own favorites 😆 I've on the other hand have never actually missed one. About 60k km of dirt riding and only once I've actually had something between chain and sprocket. Only reason it did damage, was because I was too lazy to check if I was stuck or if I actually have branch between chain and a sprocket.

But it all depends where your driving of course. For some, chain guide can be priceless.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up just getting the Akro exhaust, LED flashers and some side tank pads for now. The other stuff is gonna be a working progress. I have a feeling I'm gonna be spending a lot of my time on this forum! 😁

8 hours ago, Hobes said:

But it all depends where your driving of course. For some, chain guide can be priceless.

Hobes,

I agree with you 100%. It is very refreshing to have people with minds that are open to different views. 

Edited by Hibobb
  • Like 1

We are all tattooed in our cradles with the beliefs of our tribe

~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Don't forget the anti bobble head kit from @Camel ADVor something similar.  That's one thing I was glad to attach to the bike to get the dash and headlight to sit still.  

• Like 2

Well, for touring, not much.

A slightly harder spring for tje rear shock if you ad a lot of weight in the back, and some kind of adjustable screen in the front will help you in the long run.

I´ve got a Powebronze adjustable screen which is good if you dont´t want to adjust it often, it does´nt got a good solution to adjust it easily, so I had to come up with an alternative solution.

Other than that, you will figure it out after you´ve put som km on it, as me, I had to adjust some things to my Viaterra Claw and so on, but not much is needed to get you far.

I´ve done 580 km in a day on the harder low saddle and it´s fine, not the most comfortable but just fine for at least 5 days.