Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Highway pegs???

Thriller

On my KLR 650  I have some highway pegs. I use them all the time. I was hoping that someone has made or modified a set to use on the Tenere. Pictures would be great to give me some ideas. Thanks 

My KLR had an engine guard with highway pegs  that worked well, down and forward.  An equivalent position is near the bottom of the T7 frame down tubes.

I have the AXP skid plate so will have to either mount above it or drill pass through holes in the sides. I’m looking…

• Like 1

Attached to OM lower bars, old handlebar standoffs for cheap hand guards.  Couple of chunks of Al bar stock.  Works good as a change of footing, good for long hauls.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 9:42 PM, Thriller said:

On my KLR 650  I have some highway pegs. I use them all the time. I was hoping that someone has made or modified a set to use on the Tenere. Pictures would be great to give me some ideas. Thanks 

You're looking for a 1" or 25mm set.  Unfortunately they are not common.  Most are designed for 1.25" or 32mm.

I added these.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XILLW5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.thumb.png.9b6fb2285b2b6fc389d4bb99dfd2bf48.png

F84846DE-6356-48D9-957F-DA116FF254C7.thumb.jpeg.0a63facb4afcda7b9c30e70ddb4119aa.jpeg

6F65D53D-D76B-44E4-8BAA-B23C6A684131.thumb.jpeg.4e09aea31bec4160db58e17e73778912.jpeg

Just did about 1000 miles last week with them.  They work well but I'm not fully happy with how they mount.  The Stepped washer/spacers are probably digging into the finish.  There are a couple cable guides on the front down-tubes and I mounted these just under where the guides are secured to the tubes.  Worked out to be a great position to hang my legs on.  They flip up out of the way.  I put locktite on the clamp bolt to keep them from spinning but they can spin if you aren't careful.  What I do like is they have a little lip at the end that keeps your boot from sliding off the end. 

I've got a set of these on order from AltRider and like too many things currently, they've been on back order for almost 2 months now.

image.png.968bbd553a7858565933628fd2042785.png

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 2

Glad to know I am not the only one who appreciates a change of foot position. Keep those ideas coming. I do have some fabrication abilities as well. 

6 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

You're looking for a 1" or 25mm set.  Unfortunately they are not common.  Most are designed for 1.25" or 32mm.

I added these.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XILLW5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.thumb.png.9b6fb2285b2b6fc389d4bb99dfd2bf48.png

F84846DE-6356-48D9-957F-DA116FF254C7.thumb.jpeg.0a63facb4afcda7b9c30e70ddb4119aa.jpeg

6F65D53D-D76B-44E4-8BAA-B23C6A684131.thumb.jpeg.4e09aea31bec4160db58e17e73778912.jpeg

Just did about 1000 miles last week with them.  They work well but I'm not fully happy with how they mount.  The Stepped washer/spacers are probably digging into the finish.  There are a couple cable guides on the front down-tubes and I mounted these just under where the guides are secured to the tubes.  Worked out to be a great position to hang my legs on.  They flip up out of the way.  I put locktite on the clamp bolt to keep them from spinning but they can spin if you aren't careful.  What I do like is they have a little lip at the end that keeps your boot from sliding off the end. 

I've got a set of these on order from AltRider and like too many things currently, they've been on back order for almost 2 months now.

image.png.968bbd553a7858565933628fd2042785.png

J

Do you find yourself wishing these were a bit farther forward?

Edited by Thriller

Here's my set up.

These are mounted on the Yamaha bars.

IMG_20210718_075320.jpg

Lower and farther forward would be better, but it's okay. This is the best I could do with what I had.

Fifty dollar, no holler.

IMG_20210718_075340.jpg

Edited by ahamay
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Thriller said:

Do you find yourself wishing these were a bit farther forward?

Not really. For me that are in the right place. They’re not a place to put my foot but are a spot where I can extend my legs all the way. This helps my knee as it gets sore being bent for extended periods of time.   If you don’t have full length boots the actual peg design could be uncomfortable as it hits me just below my calf. I have Sidi Adventure Gortex boots and they are stiff enough that I can ride like that for 30-40 mins if I want. 

These are roughly them same position as throwing a leg over the cylinders on my GS. 

J

1 hour ago, ahamay said:

Here's my set up. Lower and farther forward would be better, but it's okay. This is the best I could do with what I had. 

Fifty dollar, no holler.

These are mounted on the Yamaha bars.

IMG_20210718_075320.jpg

IMG_20210718_075340.jpg

What brand of pegs do you have there?

On 7/18/2021 at 9:56 AM, Thriller said:

What brand of pegs do you have there?

The originals are made by Wunderlich. The Amazon/Chinese ones have a major flaw that is an issue for some but maybe not all users.  It’s the two tack welds on the securing nuts that clamp the peg to your bars. The nuts don’t bear on the peg mount frame but rely on the welds to take all of the clamping force. The Chinese versions can fail if you need to snug them up. Not surprising as it’s probably the way “They” get around patent infringement by making small design changes.

Wunderlich ones have a different threaded insert that is more secure. I thought about moving the nut to the underside of the mount but I don’t think there’s enough room. I looked at those and of the many reviews that had them fail during mounting I decided to move on. 

I really like the design but if mounting to the OEM engine downtubes you do need a relatively wide/long peg portion. The down tubes are not wider than the engine and with a shorter peg can make your legs sit a little bow legged. 

J

Edited by Goldentaco

I read those reviews of these pegs after I bought and installed. But mine fit great. Tight, no breakage. Position is not ideal, as I mentioned. But fine enough for a while. Anything for a change. 

28 minutes ago, ahamay said:

I read those reviews of these pegs after I bought and installed. But mine fit great. Tight, no breakage. Position is not ideal, as I mentioned. But fine enough for a while. Anything for a change. 

That’s cool. I’m sure not all will fail. I really like the design and how low profile they are. 

Can you give the measurement from tip of peg to bar?  

The pegs measure 3.25" wide. You thinking of trying them?

I had the ones you're using on a previous machine. 

• Like 1