Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Givi Sport Touring Windshield Ordered

eddylindenstein

It's really my last attempt at making this thing's wind noise reduced enough to become my only bike.  If the windscreen doesn't work than it's going up for sale and I'm keeping his big brother only.  Anyone care to comment that went from the stock screen to the Givi screen and have a dramatic reduction in wind noise?

• Like 1

I can assure you the Givi screen is very effective… and very big😁

I went with the Puig and I'm happy... but at barely 5' 10", I'm short. The Givi  is 105mm (4.1") taller and 110mm (4.3")  wider than the Puig, so it should give more than a fair amount of protection. Curious to see if it works for you. How tall are you? 

How tall are you? I'm 6' and went with the PowerBronze short screen within a month of ownership. One year & 14000 KMS later I'm happy.   There is definitely an issue with the design/angle of the stock  screen, no debate there. That said I don't think that slapping giant windscreens or spoilers etc... onto the T7 is the answer, you've got a S10 for that apparently!

I'm 5'7" and most of the wind complaints I see seem to be the people right around my height.  The Givi screen is massive, but I didn't go with the PowerBronze or Puig because I didn't want to be in a situation where it was too small and I'd have to order another; I can chop the Givi down if it's too tall.  I don't want to be looking through a windshield so I'm betting I'll have to cut it down a bit.

• Like 1

I'm also 5'7" and so far the best solution for me is riding without the windscreen.  It's a MUCH smoother ride.

Hardly ever ride above 65mph so it was a quick fix.

I'll definitely be interested to read your progress with the taller Givi.

givi sport, side deflectors, moto pump adjustable brackets.

IMO much better than stock

I still wear ear plugs on longer rides.

9 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

givi sport, side deflectors, moto pump adjustable brackets.

IMO much better than stock

I still wear ear plugs on longer rides.

Oh yeah, I wear ear plugs for anything longer than 3 minutes when I'm at 60mph or more.  Hoping this is the solution.

I have the same setup at gone2seed. Does it reduce the noise? yes. Completely? No. Does it reduce buffeting? yes. Completely? no.

If you are looking for a clean, quiet, soft ride where you can have a cigarette while cruising along at 80, this bike will never work for you.

From my experience on trying to get a less windy ride, the answer is not just higher. While the brackets and the taller screen does get it off the helmet top, I believe the bigger issue is the wind coming in from the sides.

Look at the pic from gone2seed's post. The triangle of openness between the side deflectors and the windscreen is where the problem lies. But you need that for the handle bars to fit when you turn. 

But the wind goes right through there, hits the bars, mirrors, barkbusters, etc... and gets turbulent. Then it hits your shoulders and side and bottom of the helmet.

Hence creating the wind noise.

Until someone comes up with a wider screen from top to bottom, youre only solution to a 1db ride will be either in ear protection/music or to cut the screen way down to get cleaner air. The clean air should keep the side wind from hitting you. And if you get a helmet like the Schuberth c4, it is so quiet wind getting clean air. at any speed.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

26 minutes ago, jdk2man said:

I have the same setup at gone2seed. Does it reduce the noise? yes. Completely? No. Does it reduce buffeting? yes. Completely? no.

If you are looking for a clean, quiet, soft ride where you can have a cigarette while cruising along at 80, this bike will never work for you.

From my experience on trying to get a less windy ride, the answer is not just higher. While the brackets and the taller screen does get it off the helmet top, I believe the bigger issue is the wind coming in from the sides.

Look at the pic from gone2seed's post. The triangle of openness between the side deflectors and the windscreen is where the problem lies. But you need that for the handle bars to fit when you turn. 

But the wind goes right through there, hits the bars, mirrors, barkbusters, etc... and gets turbulent. Then it hits your shoulders and side and bottom of the helmet.

Hence creating the wind noise.

Until someone comes up with a wider screen from top to bottom, youre only solution to a 1db ride will be either in ear protection/music or to cut the screen way down to get cleaner air. The clean air should keep the side wind from hitting you. And if you get a helmet like the Schuberth c4, it is so quiet wind getting clean air. at any speed.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

It's not a 1db ride.  I've worn ear plugs for over 10 years and have tried everything from cheap foam to customs.  Earplugs don't block everything - they only cut out a certain amount of sound.  If the wind blast to your helmet is 120db and you have a -34db earplug, which would be the best on the market, you are at 86db and will sustain permanent hearing loss after about 10 minutes.  There's a ton of variables that go into this stuff.  I've seen people say the Super Tenere is the loudest wind blast they've ever experienced, even with bigger shields; I put a Madstad on mine and it's the quietest bike I have ever ridden, but that won't be the same for everyone.  The hassle of experimenting with different mirrors, windshields, handguards, helmets, forkshields, etc - adds up quickly and your'e spending more time tinkering than riding.  If the windshield doesn't solve the problem than I won't have a problem getting rid of it and I can at least say I tried, ya know?

At 6' 3" the stock screen noise and wind was terrible. I tried a mid-range (puig I think), and then finally put the Givi Tall Clear on and I'm happy as can be with that screen. It's very tall however the problem is solved.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

At 6' 3" the stock screen noise and wind was terrible. I tried a mid-range (puig I think), and then finally put the Givi Tall Clear on and I'm happy as can be with that screen. It's very tall however the problem is solved.

Yeah I am guessing I'll have to cut it down - it's even taller than the Madstad one I have on my S10.  I have no idea how to do that and may not have the tools to do it, but there are a lot of YouTube videos about it and it doesn't look crazy hard or complicated.  

17 minutes ago, eddylindenstein said:

Yeah I am guessing I'll have to cut it down - it's even taller than the Madstad one I have on my S10.  I have no idea how to do that and may not have the tools to do it, but there are a lot of YouTube videos about it and it doesn't look crazy hard or complicated.  

This gentleman in Canada is a windshield genius. He used cardbard and tested with cardboard screens until he got the perfect size for him.

I would test BEFORE cutting any screen since I always had to go taller. I'm tempted to cut the Givi TALL CLEAR (NOT SPORT) down but I never will.

The protection it offers from wind, rain elements, on the highway, is amazing. I'll keep the talk screen.

Go tall and proceed with cutting carefully.  I could care less if it looks too tall!  🙂

image.thumb.png.2b1f8f7d72bd329f0e31a8cd8df87087.png

• Like 1

I don't even think about the screen height anymore !  😂

The protection is SOOOOoooo good!

Givi Tall Clear - superior screen!

Edited by ADVUSA

Another solution is, as per pictures,  two screens. One working as a laminar lip. Works superbly and it is small.  

426F649A-01B3-468F-AD9E-45B0B97A2F58.jpeg

F055F787-65DF-4E28-8876-BB0C1C63255E.jpeg

9CDBD0DC-F45B-4B4B-8B4E-D42D8CC8AC13.jpeg

Edited by Osprio
  • Like 1

I also went with the Givi Sport Touring screen and found it very acceptable. I am 6ft 2 in. However, it was actually larger than needed to do the job, so I cut the "squareness" out of the corners to round it off more.

With the screen as bought, it pushed the wind way further up and out than I needed. I also cut the vacuum relief hole larger. This is a very acceptable screen that pretty much eliminated the buffeting after I cut it down some. It is not my original idea. There is somone on this forum who posted pictures of how he rounded his off, and I just copied his idea. Still looking to try to find the post.

This adjust Givi will be just fine until Madstad finally gets one built for this bike. They are having frustration trying to get hands on a T700 to do the engineering to come up with a screen. Have used theirs on multiple bikes, always with fantastic result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eddylindenstein said:

Glad you mentioned Madstad. I have one for the GSA, got his flyscreen and large screen for the FZ09, Had one on the V strom,and yes , kept the tree mounted one off the WR 250 when it sold and used it on Husky 701.

Good stuff!

Called and asked him about our rides and as of 8 weeks ago he had not got his hands on one to develope. 

Edited by gone2seed

1 hour ago, ADVUSA said:

This gentleman in Canada is a windshield genius. He used cardbard and tested with cardboard screens until he got the perfect size for him.

I would test BEFORE cutting any screen since I always had to go taller. I'm tempted to cut the Givi TALL CLEAR (NOT SPORT) down but I never will.

The protection it offers from wind, rain elements, on the highway, is amazing. I'll keep the talk screen.

Go tall and proceed with cutting carefully.  I could care less if it looks too tall!  🙂

image.thumb.png.2b1f8f7d72bd329f0e31a8cd8df87087.png

Funny, I am literally chatting with the windscreen guy on Facebook right now about maybe swinging by next time in BC.

9 minutes ago, gone2seed said:

Glad you mentioned Madstad. I have one for the GSA, got his flyscreen and large screen for the FZ09, Had one on the V strom,and yes , kept the tree mounted one off the WR 250 when it sold and used it on Husky 701.

Good stuff!

Called and asked him about our rides and as of 8 weeks ago he had not got his hands on one to develope. 

I talked to him last week and told him basically he'd make an absolute killing whenever that thing was ready.  He said he had a guy who was going to leave his bike with him to design the shield and brackets but that owner backed out.  He did say he'd call him again though.  He also said once he has the bike he could theoretically have something ready to ship 2-3 weeks later.  LETS GO!!  Brooksville FL is where they are and I'm 3100 miles away otherwise I'd let him have mine.

I have a feeling there will be A bunch of used Puig and Givi shields for sale when Madstad gets around to make’n the brackets and shields.

Tex said, “They are having  frustration getting their hands on A T700”.

I know how that feels!

Edited by gone2seed
  • Haha 1

Here is pic of the Givi rounded off, with great results. You might can see relief hole enlarged.20210720_180852.thumb.jpg.a0c853e4d67831a70f0088e7210a82db.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, eddylindenstein said:

Funny, I am literally chatting with the windscreen guy on Facebook right now about maybe swinging by next time in BC.

He's extremely helpful, what a guy!  He's the top of the shelf when it comes to windscreen engineering.

I've read books of T7 blogs and he's the man. 👍