Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rackless soft luggage that leaves pillion seat available

Cougar Bait

Well, as the title suggests, I'm looking for a luggage setup that doesn't interfere with the pillion seat, as my wife and I would like to do overnight trips on the new bike. I'm also not particularly interested in getting side racks installed, as I don't want the extra weight and bulk. Most of the rackless panniers I've seen tend to strap over the passenger seat, leaving it essentially unusable. Is there any setup that you've tried that works for this? Thanks!

You should be able to simply remove the passenger seat, fasten the strap, and then reinstall the passenger seat. I don't have a set of soft luggage bags (yet), but I've heard of multiple people doing this on T7s. Just have to make sure the velcro strap isn't excessively bulky.

Like this guy had done here. Not a T7 in this case, and he fashioned his own soft luggage rack, but same idea.

As for recommendations on bags, I just ordered a set of Nelson-Rigg SE3050 bags, but I have a luggage rack that clears the exhaust, so I expect them to fit on nicely. You might want to look into bags that have different contour to their shape, like the Oxford P50R or P60R's. They seem well priced and have really good reviews. They look like they would fit nice and snug to the bike while clearing the exhaust. I can't provide any first hand experience on if the exhaust will be close enough to cause heat problems though.

Edited by TeabagInsurance

I forgot to mention that I also have a Huzar high mount exhaust on order, and will be installing that as soon as it arrives.

Guaranteed you're going to need some kind of heat shield to protect the bag on the right hand side then. I had one on my FZ1 that came with my old saddle bags and I had no issues. Could try something cheap off Amazon like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Exhaust-Insulation/dp/B07K7DVDKV/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=exhaust%2Bheat%2Bshield&qid=1628379423&sr=8-11&th=1

• 2 weeks later...

In the thread about luggage there are two posts that caught my eye:

and:

.. which describes the use of SW motech Blaze. I happened to have the same bags (but not yamaha branded) and this fitment works fine even without the topcase carrier. I will add a velcroed strap between the "original knob" and the flaps going over the saddle to keep it from sliding forward since I dont have the topcase holder.

To clarify, it is only the bags used, the bike specific fitment bars and mounts (which is for a Honda NC700X in my case) is not used on the T7.

• Thanks 1