Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dunlop TrailMax Mission tires - cold weather slide report?

ADVUSA

I read on this site an owner of these tires (albeit on a GS) would slide in 43 degree weather in easy curves.

Anyone else experiencing sliding on pavement in cold weather?

1 hour ago, ADVUSA said:

I read on this site an owner of these tires (albeit on a GS) would slide in 43 degree weather in easy curves.

Anyone else experiencing sliding on pavement in cold weather?

That was me, but a couple of key things missing from your post: It happened in the rain with the tires half worn (about 6,700 miles on them), and only the rear Mission tire had the issues. Also during the same ride, the rear lost traction when accelerating normally in a straight line causing the traction control to kick in repeatedly (TC light flashing on the GS's dash while in rain mode). I've ridden a lot in these conditions and on these same roads with many different tires on many different bikes for decades, and never had such experiences.  

The following week, after I'd installed new tires (Dunlop Trailsmarts) and rode in the same conditions on the same roads, confident behavior again with no more drama.  

Edited by jdub53

8 minutes ago, jdub53 said:

That was me, but a couple of key things missing from your post: It happened in the rain with the tires half worn (about 6,700 miles on them), and only the rear Mission tire had the issues. Also during the same ride, the rear lost traction when accelerating normally in a straight line causing the traction control to kick in repeatedly (TC light flashing on the GS's dash while in rain mode). I've ridden a lot in these conditions and on these same roads with many different tires on many different bikes for decades, and never had such experiences.  

The following week, after I'd installed new tires (Dunlop Trailsmarts) and rode in the same conditions on the same roads, confident behavior again with no more drama.  

Thanks for that. Additionally, I'm trying to find out if more people report this issue?

• Like 1

The longer these tires have been out and the more folks use them, as I expected I've started seeing more scattered reports of cold and wet road behavior on the rear like I experienced. One of the hardest rubber compounds out there has to compromise somewhere, and these conditions are just where you'd expect it. 

Edited by jdub53
  • Like 1

I'm reaching 22k kms on a  set of Trailmax's now, still not even 50% worn, crazy mileage. I rode with them across Canada and back home, I do have a 140 in the rear. 

- Cold weather, they aren't the best. They do loose traction easier, and in cold+wet, they are a bit nervous. 

- I did have a low side in them, took a corner, leaned over a bit too much and I'm not sure if the center stand tab hit the road then traction broke, or the 140tire being narrow lost enough grip on the edges. 

- On loose gravel, they wandered, airing down helps alot. 

- In mud, meh, only a proper knobby will do justice here. 

- in Sand, meh. 

- On road, when cornering they do give a weird feeling as the lugs contact the road, when straight can't even tell it's an off-road tire. 

- Very stiff side wall, gives confidence when airing down. 

Overall, I would buy a second set in a heartbeat for my style of riding, which is probably 80% street, 10%gravel, and 10% jeep trails or less. In terms of mileage, performance, price, made in USA, I am not sure what else checks all these as good. 

• Thanks 1

An alternative suggested to me is Shinko 705s  which is 80/20 street.

After all the cold weather comments, I'm less swayed by the Trailmax mission tires.

Just ordered a Trailmax front to replace a Motoz Rallz that I killed in 3500 miles. 
Plant to run it with the Rallz rear until it’s cooked and then try a Motoz Adventure in the rear with it. 

Cold weather, they aren't the best. They do loose traction easier, and in cold+wet, they are a bit nervous”

In comparison to the stock Pirelli’s? Hopefully close, as I’ve got a pair coming and I’m ok with the stock tires in those conditions.

thanks

I posted an incident earlier about losing the back on the stock Scorpion tires at 37 degrees on a paved corner which normally is easy and fun in warmer weather. Just beware of any of these hard compound semi-knobbies while riding this winter.

• Thanks 1

Well... we've started rolling into some cold weather here in central BC. I work shift, so I'm constantly riding to work at 5:30 in the morning and also home at 6 in the morning.

Couple days ago it was 4 degrees on my way home after a night shift. I came into a corner, down shifted and the back end slid a bit. Definitely would not have happened on the stock tire's.

Chalk it up to being a really hard tire in the cold. Obviously, there's going to be a compromise. Just going to have to be aware and ride accordingly.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

It is a bit late and my bike is a bmw 1200gs, but due to the seriousness I need to share my experience.

On wet surface, at low speed, at about 10 degrees C, on a nearly straight road the rear wheel slided in slow motion like on ice. We were 2 up reasonably loaded and I simply could not hold the bike anymore ending up in the ditch.

I really think the wet weather capability on this tire sucks!

• Sad 1