Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Motoz Tractionator Adventure 140/80r18 Tube-Type vs Tubeless Comparison

transalper

Check out the size difference between the tube-type and tubeless Motoz Tractionator Adventure. Both are 140/80r18. Left one is going on my DRZ, right one on the T7.

20210820_144702.thumb.jpg.f4e1b6cba6f921843f84dcb91278e578.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 1:13 PM, transalper said:

Check out the size difference between the tube-type and tubeless Motoz Tractionator Adventure. Both are 140/80r18. Left one is going on my DRZ, right one on the T7.

Did you notice their Tubless tires are made for wider rims?  

It's hard to get full tire specs for many other manufacturers but Motoz publishes them.  Most of their Tubless tires are made for a wider rim than the equivalent Tube Type except for a few of their models.  Tractionator GPS is one.  I'd have to look at the rest.

If you don't pay attention to that, you can run into handling issues.  

J

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 8:48 PM, Goldentaco said:

Did you notice their Tubless tires are made for wider rims? 

Yes, that is exactly why I posted the pic. The tube-type tire is much narrower at the beads and I would not feel comfortable putting that on a stock T7 rim. The tubless tire beads are much wider apart and should work just fine on the T7 stock rims.

Edited by transalper
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, transalper said:

Yes, that is exactly why I posted the pic. The tube-type tire is much narrower at the beads and I would not feel comfortable putting that on a stock T7 rim. The tubless tire beads are much wider apart.

Absolutely.

Someone here, I can't remember converted their rims to Tubeless and was running the 140 on the rear.  Something caused it to loose air and it subsequently unseated itself from the bead due to the tire being designed for a narrower rim.  It's like the JDM crowd that likes to stretch tires onto wide rims for "Looks".

Even the 140 TL is made for a 3.5" rim.  The rear seems to not have drastic handling issues like the front can when using a wider tire on our narrow rims.  

J

• Moderators

@Goldentaco Is this the post you were thinking of?  

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Guys, if you have a 140 tire with narrow beads fitted to a wide 4" rim and it goes flat, it will try to pull away from the rim and return to its natural width, and could put you in a dangerous situation very quickly. By running a 2.5" rim, these tires are more likely to stay on the rim. This could happen if you are running a tube or as tubeless. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZJW said:

@Goldentaco Is this the post you were thinking of?  

Yes and others have fortunately found out the same with no dire consequences.

I Love the MOTOZ tires I've been running but I absolutely hate the way MOTOZ changes tread profile, and permissable rim width within the same tire with different sizes.  IF you don't pay close attention, you probalby aren't getting what you think you want.

Many other MFG's don't publish the full range of tire specs that MOTOZ does and that's great but you almost have to because the tire is physically a different size if you're Tubless vs Tube type, or if it's a 90/90-21 or a 90/10-21 ( Desert H/T front).  If you relay on a tire retailers stock images, you may be surprised.  Often I can't find anything other than the tire size and maybe a recommended rim width.  In a way it's kind of nice not having that choice to worry about.

Bottom line, it's best to run the correct tire for the size and design of rim you have.  Forcing a no Tubless rim to be tubless or running smaller tires likely opens up a world of headaches.

At least for MOTOZ I would bet the way they produce tires that differ in these ways has lead to negative experiences many have with the brand that could be cleared up with some streamlined production goals.  Not to mention the heaps of reports of less than acceptable customer service in even getting a response through their contact us channels.

On 8/21/2021 at 6:13 AM, transalper said:

I'm guessing the weight difference would have to be 2kg or more? TT vs TL

I just happen to have a scale hanging in the garage (for weighing our potato harvest), so it was easy for me to check.

Your estimation was close!

Rear Tire:

13.95 lbs/6.328 kg TT
17.65 lbs/8.006 kg TL

• 1 month later...

I’m looking to buy the Motoz adventure or the Rallz for my T7 oem rims and would like to get the correct size 150/70/18 but I can’t find this size in tube type only in tubeless.

I can get 140/80/18 in tube type..

I’ve done a search on the matter on this forum and know the 140 is thinner and taller and the 150 tubeless may have a bead difference that concerns me .. 

should I be concerned with 150 /70/18 tubeless as I’m running tubes anyway??

or just get the 140 tube type??

• Moderators

@Gary DirtDon't be concerned about running a tube in a tubeless Motoz. Below is a picture of my 150/70/18 MotoZ RallZ.

Also, you've probably already seen this, but just in case some interesting reading here.

20211102_113227.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS