Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Shoulder separation - best protection post injury? (other than not riding)

Amani

I separated my shoulder in April and am just now feeling able to ride again. It really sucks. It's different than a broken collar bone or a dislocation. The ligaments that hold down the end of my clavicle are history. Any input or experience with protecting this injury? It is more on the top of the shoulder than the side. TIA

• Moderators

@Amani Having suffered a broken collarbone, but not a shoulder separation, thinking the protection needed would be similar in that the rotator cuff area needs to be covered.  I wear a pressure suit similar to the one below and would think a rotator cuff support brace under that might help. 

s-l400.jpg

<p>SixSixOne Rage Pressure Suit Body Armor, GUC, Size Large. Condition is "Pre-owned". Shipped with USPS Priority Mail. Gently Preowned</p>

ERGONOMIC DESIGN: This shoulder brace is designed with bidirectional adjustable stick straps on the shoulder and arm, providing strong im...

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Thanks AZJW and sorry about your break. I've looked at similar to your suggestion and I think the shoulder protection needs to extend further up the top of the shoulder towards the neck. Hard plastic may not be the best here. The permanent bone deformity with this injury protrudes upwards ~1 inch or so. Softer CE 2 armor seems a better more protective option. I may be looking for a unicorn here or it may be an entrepreneurial option for the right person.

I did also order a brace like the one you linked. The pull needs to be almost straight down instead of across the chest. 😏

• Like 1

Would an airbag be an option ... I have a jacket with the airbag incorporated and it seems to be very protective from what I have been researching online... Have not tested it and hope not to either .. Aleks

• Like 1

I separated my AC joint and rotator cuff in 2014, and then broke off and completely shattered my humerus head in 2018 in addition to a broken elbow, broken C5 in my neck, sternum, 5 ribs, punctured lung and severe concussion requiring multiple surgeries to save my arm. My advice would be to just work on your range of motion and flexibility, and do stretches before/after rides. Protection won’t help these types of injuries. I was wearing a hard plastic chest protector with shoulder protection for both incidents, and completely destroyed it in exhibit 2. Just ride with caution, stay as limber as possible and manage risk.

Edited by Camstyn
  • Like 2

I'm currently recovering from a snapped clavicle and concerned about returning to ride. I don't have any advice for you Amani but Camstyn's comments outline my approach.

I will probably buy one of these........

s-l400.jpg

The Sport Shirt is easy to wear and fast to get into and out of. The Sport Shirt 1 has CE1 shoulder and elbow armour,with CE2 back protection fitted as standard and a CE2 chest protector as well. T his is a great way to...

Good luck and stay safe..

• Like 1