Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Changing sprocket size

Desert rat

Has anyone had any experience changing the sprocket size? I don't need to go 40 mph in 1st gear. I need more power to climb hill, go through sand, and any other challenges I might find riding the BDR. I just finished a ride from the Arizona southern border to the Grand Canyon. I may have burnt up the clutch, with only 2500 miles on the bike. My local dealer can not find a smaller front sprocket or a larger rear for my bike. According to them, no one makes one at this time. The only option the have is to replace both sprockets and the chain with a 520, a smaller chain.

I actually felt the opposite and went up a tooth in the front. Wanted to bring down the cruising RPMs at highway speeds, and I've never thought there to be a lack of low end power.

But yes, as TimmyTheHog mentioned, the front sprocket definitely is compatible with MT-07 sprockets. Probably the rear as well. I bought a Vortex front sprocket.

• Like 1

I noticed on the boano racing site they only sell a 48 tooth rear sprocket.  I might try that next but I don't really have any complaints with the stock gearing for what I do. I rarely even use 1st gear. Might make 2nd a little nicer though?

• 1 month later...

Teabag, I don't know how old your post is, I don't see the year, only the month. I just got my gently used 2021 2 weeks ago.

I  assume there was plenty of clearance for the larger countershaft sprocket? Mine will be on the tarmac 85% of the time, no hard core off roading  on a 460lb 10k bike for me. 🙂   That's what used WR's are for.

Edited by forcefit

On 9/14/2021 at 5:00 PM, TeabagInsurance said:

I actually felt the opposite and went up a tooth in the front. Wanted to bring down the cruising RPMs at highway speeds, and I've never thought there to be a lack of low end power.

But yes, as TimmyTheHog mentioned, the front sprocket definitely is compatible with MT-07 sprockets. Probably the rear as well. I bought a Vortex front sprocket.

Same with me.  Stock was too low.  Got an MT07 front sprocket and it's much better. 

3 hours ago, forcefit said:

Teabag, I don't know how old your post is, I don't see the year, only the month. I just got my gently used 2021 2 weeks ago.

I  assume there was plenty of clearance for the larger countershaft sprocket? Mine will be on the tarmac 85% of the time, no hard core off roading  on a 460lb 10k bike for me. 🙂   That's what used WR's are for.

Yup, no issues with clearance on the sprocket guard at all!

So I went up to a 16T early in the spring when I fitted a new chain, and when doing a bunch of single track/rock riding/mountain climbing, the engine powered through nicely. Was maybe a bit harder than normal on the clutch, but again, no issues. The 16T makes it much more comfortable on the highway.

• Like 2

I think I have Yamaha disease...