Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Centre Stand DIY Trail Tool?

Innocente46

I want to be able to take off the wheels when out in the field but don't want a center stand.

I haven't got my T7 yet (picking it up this coming weekend) so don't know what the side stand is like for strength. I was thinking maybe devise something light and small to pack which acts as another side stand for the other side to help prop up the bike (push the weight onto the side stand). Or, maybe a few bits of light 20mm x 20mm aluminium box section which quickly bolt together to resemble a minimalist center stand? This could sit underneath and then the bike could then be levered up onto it? being an ex-fabricator, I can just about make things out of anything, so I will look into what (if anything) can be done once I have the bike. The bike has a plastic AXP bash plate so I'm hoping that there will be a decent size flat surface underneath.

Has anyone done/attempted something like this? I know it can be done on lighter trail bikes but haven't seen anyone attempt it on larger ADV bikes.

I have heard of people doing something like you are talking about with the bottom adjustable section of walking crutches.

Are you getting your bike new from the dealer, ie is there a new shipment in NZ?

8 minutes ago, Pitman33 said:

I have heard of people doing something like you are talking about with the bottom adjustable section of walking crutches.

Are you getting your bike new from the dealer, ie is there a new shipment in NZ?

No, second hand. Can't get new ones here yet. Nobody is sure just when the next shipment is coming! I got lucky and found a decent second-hand one!

That's awesome. Nice and simple, and using materials that I can easily source.

I suppose the same concept could be applied to the front wheel, too.

I just hope the side stand on the T7 is robust enough, and not like my FE501!

If you make something would you mind posting it in this thread? I don’t have my T7 yet but when I do that angle iron stand is on my list of things to do.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I have both the Enduro Star and the Unit emergency side stand. Both have value, but I like the larger, swiveling foot on the Unit model for uneven, soft terrain. 

uni_22_eme_sid_sta-2056780001.jpg

*Place under frame, opposite side of side stand, to lift up rear wheel. *Great for on trail use for repairing flat tires or other wheel related repairs. *Fits easily in back packs or tool packs. *Provides 10 different stand...

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 10:44 PM, Innocente46 said:

That's awesome. Nice and simple, and using materials that I can easily source.

I suppose the same concept could be applied to the front wheel, too.

I just hope the side stand on the T7 is robust enough, and not like my FE501!

The T7's side stand is really rugged.  However, note that in the Tkacs video, he's using a KTM swingarm with a 10mm threaded hole near the end - very common, admittedly, but something our T7's lack.  There's no actual attachment point.

However, a threaded rod may work, with nuts to attach it to the aluminum angle extrusion, then fed through the rear axle?

With that said, I've got no idea how you'd remove the front short of just laying the bike down on it's side. 

Edited by Wintersdark

11 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

With that said, I've got no idea how you'd remove the front short of just laying the bike down on it's side. 

You lift the front by putting the trail stand under the front RHS of the bash plate.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

I made a prop from an old aluminum cane. It’s length adjustable and lockable.

023277FD-CBC4-4F9E-BDE3-48FEA92C260D.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, duibhceK said:

You lift the front by putting the trail stand under the front RHS of the bash plate.

Ah, of course.  That's... obvious, and I feel kind of stupid for not thinking of it.  Thanks 🙂

• Moderators

@Wintersdark Don't beat yourself up, it's obvious to someone who has done it before, but to someone else, maybe not.  The best way to learn is to ask the question and this forum is full of good, knowledgeable T7 owners who are more than willing to help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

6 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@Wintersdark Don't beat yourself up, it's obvious to someone who has done it before, but to someone else, maybe not.  The best way to learn is to ask the question and this forum is full of good, knowledgeable T7 owners who are more than willing to help.

Nice of you to put a new Member here at easy 🙂  Good people right here!

• Like 1

I have a snapjack for chain cleaning, have propped the front with a piece of wood jammed into the slots on the baseplate too, the side stand seems plenty strong, if buying again I’d probably get the enduro star as it will do both front and back. 

F607556F-A7BE-4428-AF1B-FF2F6BCA7DF1.thumb.jpeg.e604b2963d660d6ef0629f165c11a8fa.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 4:15 PM, Landshark said:

I picked up one of these.  Very inexpensive.

That works on the front too, under the skid plate?  Just wondering with the brackety bit at the end

Edited by Wintersdark

I haven't tried the front yet.  Now I'm curios.  I'll report back...

So, the portable lift stand won't easily lift the front wheel.  First you have to get the front wheel off of the ground and then place your stick or lift under the skid plate.  I purchased this to lift the rear off the ground to perform chain maintenance so I can't expect to much more from it.