Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Motoz Tractionator GPS review.

DT675

A great compromise tire? 

I went directly from the stock Pirelli STR to the Motoz GPS.  So my review is also a comparison based on those two.  (GPS rear mounted in “off road” direction). I decided on this tire based on the mileage their supposed to get, not too aggressive IMO and the need for more lateral traction over the OEM. 

Roughly 450 miles on the front/ 250 on the rear. 

The goods-

-They seem quiet on the pavement(very important to me).  Pavement traction is good (not tested in wet yet) I’ve leaned them over a good bit but not like a sport bike yet. 

-Soft terrain (mud and sand) traction is moderately improved.

-Leaned over cornering traction on all “non pavement” surfaces are much improved (probably my biggest reason for wanting to try them) 

-While It seems like the rear tire is the more favored tire in this duo, I’ve been quite happy with the front.  The STR front has been almost scary at times in some situations where the GPS has not been for me in similar situations. Example- hammering around loose dirt/ light sandy dirt roads/ fire roads. 
-With the front GPS the bike to me feels like it turns in a little quicker. 
-No more front end wobble! 

The not so goods-

-When the bike is in full upright position on hard dirt under acceleration the rear tire is slippery. Most likely due to the solid rubber strip down the middle. 
-Rear braking traction is definitely reduced.  I was considering turning the tire around to the 50/50 direction rather than the “mostly off road” direction just to see if rear braking gets improved. But after putting some miles on them I’m getting used to it so I probably won’t go through the effort. 
-I think my speedo is of by an additional 1 MPH over the STR according to my GPS- the navigation one.

-Between 30-20 MPH while de-accelerating their is a new vibration coming from the rear tire. It’s not a terrible, just noticeable. 

The overall-

My 1st several miles on the rear I was damn near ready to go back home, pull it  off and put my 3k+ mile STR back on due to the surprise of the upright, straight line slippery-ness and loss of rear braking traction.  But after continuing on I started to like the much improved cornering traction.  It’s kinda an odd feeling going from sliding while upright to hooking up while starting to lean it over in a dirt turn.  But I’m getting used to it.  With the miles I have on it now I’ve mostly gotten used to the pitfalls while loving the improvements. I’ve yet to come across anything to complain about with the front tire at all. 

After I’ve piled maybe a thousand or 2 miles on them I’ll report back with any changes with my thoughts on them. Until then, their growing on me and I think they just might be the ultimate “compromise” tires. 

D705A4EC-F5F2-4616-B703-DB9752A18D88.thumb.jpeg.4db9d4eaa8ed64d5868026cc59577821.jpeg

199168C3-0546-49B9-B19A-F67BAD034F54.thumb.jpeg.252ceda0bd4040e69990a066f1081cff.jpeg

Edited by DT675
  • Like 4

I just mounted a set also. Honestly I wanted their Adv or Rallz tires but couldn’t find any so settled for these. Probably a good thing I did, as street manners are important to me. Only thing I don’t like so far is the distinct rumble you feel between about 23 and 28 mph. 

• Like 1

I've got a couple hundred miles on the GPS rear (mounted 50/50) paired with a Shinko 804 on the front.

Totally agree with slippery when upright GPS on dirt/gravel that hooks up when leaned. And the noise in the 25 MPH range. 

I've had them in mud once: the front tire packed up and locked, the GPS had enough bite to push the bike about a quarter mile without the front turning. I wanted something that worked in the mud as the STR does not. High fender kit is next!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, nice review but I want to ask you a question, how about drive in wet, road and offroad.

I never had a bad experience riding the STR's on road wet but the hardness of these GPS is giving me some doubts. What your thoughts on that?

Cheers from 🇵🇹 

• 1 month later...
On 6/25/2023 at 7:03 PM, Marcio said:

Hey guys, nice review but I want to ask you a question, how about drive in wet, road and offroad.

I never had a bad experience riding the STR's on road wet but the hardness of these GPS is giving me some doubts. What your thoughts on that?

Cheers from 🇵🇹 

Wet on road is good enough. Just don't be as aggressive as when the road is dry. You'll get some slip if you it the beans while leaning.

Wet off road is a bit sketchy if paired with a GPS front. But if you pair it with a knobbier front tire, it's fuckin awesome! A lot better than I expected.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from my IDBDR trip.  I mounted these tires new for the trip.  Here are my thoughts...Keep in mind that everyone has a different skill level, for some these tires will be Amazing and way better compared to stock for off-road use; for others, there will be differing opinions.

1726 miles, mostly off-road.  

- Pavement and black top, tires are Great!  Spirited riding, you will be able to drag your boot tips (ask me how I know). lol

- Rain on the road, didn't encounter any so no info.

- River crossings with rocks; HANG ON and stay balanced or you will go down.

- Hard-pack dirt; AWESOME!

- Rocks; good traction here.

- Roots, best have your helmet on.

- Mud, so-so.

- Deep mud, watch out!

- Sand and Gravel????  You will be on your ass if you are not careful.  It feels like you are on marbles and the front pushes.  I saved front end tucks several times in these conditons.

The rear tire is pretty good, the front tire has a lot left to be desired...I won't buy them again after this set wears out. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Went to Prudhoe Bay and back to upstate NY (10k miles) on a set back in July, and only used a little over half the life of the rear.   I love them!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmoth79 said:

Went to Prudhoe Bay and back to upstate NY (10k miles) on a set back in July, and only used a little over half the life of the rear.   I love them!

When I finally get to go to Alaska from Washington , this will be my tire of choice NO doubt.  

• Like 1