Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Can't decide on new rim width. 1.85/1.60 Front & 2.15/2.5 Rear

Flyinbrianbmx

Looking at getting new rims front and back for my T7, I dented the front pretty bad but she's still rolling. that being said next time I need tires I really want to get something better for dirt. what's your opinions on which size rim I should get? If I get the 1.60 and 2.15 they'll be the Excel A60's probably ordered from Woodyswheelhouse, and if I get the 1.85 and 2.5 rear they'll be the Excel Taskagos* probably ordered from offtheroad.de. Of course I'll be spending more money on the A60's for sure but I'm ok with that.

I ride probably 50/50 road and off-road but I am willing to sacrifice some road for better off-road handling 100%. I know I'll be going through more tires a little quicker with smaller sized rims but that's ok with me.

Also should I do tubed or tubeless? 

What do you guys think? If you had the choice what would you get and why? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

photo of my bike for attention ❤️ (Also because I know some of you are going to ask, I got the exhaust from MOBupdesigns.com, haha)

IMG_3419.jpg

• Like 2

I went with the 1.85x21 and 2.5x18. The main reason was because that is what I had previously and had very good experience with those Excel Takasago rims.

Thinking about choices now I would come to the same decision. Firstly, the rear Takasago rim was the MT profile, has a deep well which makes changing tyres easier and is designed for tubeless tyres.

164193111-origpic-c7c89d.jpg.89866093944b94f6177bf845466c2013.jpg 

I am running the Tubliss kit front and rear, which in theory is not made for these rims but it has worked for me for a couple of bikes now. If you are keen to go this way but unsure if it will work for you then the narrower rims would be the better choice. You will notice I also have the rims sealed for running tubeless without the Tubliss kit if I need to.

417047367_OMD10116Small.thumb.JPG.62085c13d21ff7f071c405234c3ce4e0.JPG

The last consideration is handling. Just as the wider 4" rim provides more stability on the road, the 1.85/2.5 combo will be a little better than the 1.6/2.15, but still suits many off-road tyres.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Brian I am in the same boat as you describe above (I even grew up racing BMX and riding street).  I ride pavement to get to the dirt and after my Rally Raid OC Fork/Shock install I have dinged my front in several placed.  The speed I can carry with this setup compared to stock is surprising 🙂 

Which choice did you make and what are you thoughts after the fact?  Thanks for any info!

On 9/24/2021 at 7:59 AM, TimeMachine said:

I went with the 1.85x21 and 2.5x18. The main reason was because that is what I had previously and had very good experience with those Excel Takasago rims.

Thinking about choices now I would come to the same decision. Firstly, the rear Takasago rim was the MT profile, has a deep well which makes changing tyres easier and is designed for tubeless tyres.

Great info!  My friend had the tubliss liner inner tube fail on his dirt bike once when we were out pretty far in the AZ desert.  We removed the rim lock from the tubliss system and used it with a tube we had.  He was able to ride it for 2 more days to finish our trip :-). I know it's rare but it definitely can happen.  That being said I really like the redundancy of your tubless rim tape backup.

Are you still happy with the tubliss setup?  I know they aren't DOT so Nuetech won't endorse using them on the street, but I have heard of others running them for street use with no issues.  I have used them on my plated 350 and 450 dirt bikes on multi day dual sport rides with no issues as well.

16 hours ago, projected said:

Great info!  My friend had the tubliss liner inner tube fail on his dirt bike once when we were out pretty far in the AZ desert.  We removed the rim lock from the tubliss system and used it with a tube we had.  He was able to ride it for 2 more days to finish our trip :-). I know it's rare but it definitely can happen.  That being said I really like the redundancy of your tubless rim tape backup.

Are you still happy with the tubliss setup?  I know they aren't DOT so Nuetech won't endorse using them on the street, but I have heard of others running them for street use with no issues.  I have used them on my plated 350 and 450 dirt bikes on multi day dual sport rides with no issues as well.

Yes, I am still very happy with them. The combination of Outex Tubeless liner and Tubliss system has been faultless with no air leaks, not even very slow ones.

And as you likely already know, the Tubliss system will not overheat on the highway once the pressures are back up to normal road pressures.

• 4 weeks later...

Im also thinking to do the same, get just the rim and spokes, 1.85 / 2.5.
For sure it would be nice to have two complete setups, but hey, lot of money.

I think the setup you mention is spot on

M

I'm running the tubliss system on my t7, stock 1.85 front and excel 2.5 rear.  I like the tubliss on the rear, but the front is kind of Shet. Can't run lower pressures then you can with tubes because the tire itself pinch flats against the rim. I've completely ruined a new tire with pinch holes even running 22 psi in the front. FYI tire plugs don't work very well in sidewalls, they can get you out of trouble but they like to fly out at higher speeds. I'll keep the tubliss in the rear, but I'm going temporarily back to a tube in the front before giving mousse a whirl(I don't really ride on the road much so mousse should be fine)

• 3 months later...
On 9/24/2022 at 8:44 AM, Canadian-t7 said:

I'm running the tubliss system on my t7, stock 1.85 front and excel 2.5 rear.  I like the tubliss on the rear, but the front is kind of Shet. Can't run lower pressures then you can with tubes because the tire itself pinch flats against the rim. I've completely ruined a new tire with pinch holes even running 22 psi in the front. FYI tire plugs don't work very well in sidewalls, they can get you out of trouble but they like to fly out at higher speeds. I'll keep the tubliss in the rear, but I'm going temporarily back to a tube in the front before giving mousse a whirl(I don't really ride on the road much so mousse should be fine)

Your issue with pinching the tire on the front might be due to running enduro tires designed for lighter bikes. If you use a heavier front tire like Motoz Tractioners or Pirelli Rallies with stiffer sidewalls and designed for heavier bikes, you might have more success.